GK 13 Interface - replace fragile DIN plugs with HD15 "VGA" style connectors?

Started by dedjazzgadgetz, April 10, 2012, 11:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6dB

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 13, 2017, 07:34:34 AM

The push button VGA Switch box version appears different - not able to switch all 15 lines on the VGA Connector (as seen in video above), and will NOT work as a  GK 13 pin guitar switch box 
Actually I would avoid that model  - the rotary switch versions do switch all 15 lines

I've found a video of the 4 port version (sorry no guts)

Switches are the same as the 2 port version, but you can also have more than one engaged. A shop near my house sells these. I'll see if they let me measure it with a dmm to see if all 15 contacts are switching or not. Anyway, after studying the US-20 and GKP4 schematics, I believe it is not necessary to have all the contacts switched

admin

Quotebelieve it is not necessary to have all the contacts switched

Just be aware of the flaw of the US-20 design with Not switching all 13 lines ,   - if GK-3A's onboard 'GK Vol" pot is NOT mapped to Volume Level on your GK 13 pin processor, then the home brew GK 13 pin A/B switch that only switches 5 signals  will NOT Work!

Details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2246.0

vanceg

I'll chime in again to say that: Lemo connectors are amazing.  Simply wonderful.  They are expensive, but I think they are worth it for me.   Note that I could surely imagine a Lemo to 13pin adaptor cable or (as I've already built) a little Lemo to 13pin converter box so you don't have to change the connectors on your actual Roland devices.

Another option I was considering for replacement of 13pin is the Neutrik MINICON connector. This family of connectors is inexpensive and readily available (in comparison to Lemo) and can support up to 12 conductors.  Well, Roland 13 pin has a spare conductor.... so 12 should be plenty unless you are trying to support additional controls on the guitar (which is one reason I'm sticking with Lemo).  Lemo has a much easier, more satisfying connector action... but the fact that the Lemo cables are so much more expensive than 12 conductor MINICON makes me recommend minicon to those who are looking for an easy alternative to 13pin DIN.
http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/circular-connectors/minicon-modular-system/

Edit:  Quick price check showed $3.99 for a 12 conductor minicon connector as opposed to $78 for a 19pin Lemo.  Yeah - That's a pretty huge difference. 

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on December 12, 2017, 04:59:57 PM
I highly recommend you go for the Lemo-compatible 19-pin connector instead:

The plug diameter is about the same as a GK plug and is of far better quality than the Roland parts.  Cycfi Research makes an excellent cable with this connector:

admin

QuoteWell, Roland 13 pin has a spare (PIN#9) conductor....

Exception is the  GK-3 and GK-Processors using GK-3 Mode do employ Pin#9 as a remote detection of the GK SW three way setting

and it transmits MIDI CC specific to the current position of this GK-3 three way switch

details here:

GK-3's unique Pin 9 functionality explained
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.0

gumbo

...then you got to ask yourself...

"What is actually 'fragile' ?  The DIN plug or the Roland jack ?? "    ;D

...vested interest disclosed..   :-*
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

chrish

Quote from: gumbo on December 14, 2017, 03:21:15 AM
...then you got to ask yourself...

"What is actually 'fragile' ?  The DIN plug or the Roland jack ?? "    ;D

...vested interest disclosed..   :-*
I'm going to say it's the jack based on the fact that one of those failed on a GK2 after 20 years of use.

After that time period, the steel spring on the cable connector no longer is able to be held by the plastic spring catch of the jack.

If only someone out there was making better 13 pin Jack's, and maybe Jack's with pigtails so they could replace stock Roland Jack's in the Hardware and for the gk3 internal kit so you don't have to fit a square Jack in a round hole. . ;D

admin

Quote from: chrish on December 14, 2017, 08:44:18 AM
I'm going to say it's the jack based on the fact that one of those failed on a GK2 after 20 years of use.

After that time period, the steel spring on the cable connector no longer is able to be held by the plastic spring catch of the jack.

If only someone out there was making better 13 pin Jack's, and maybe Jack's with pigtails so they could replace stock Roland Jack's in the Hardware and for the gk3 internal kit so you don't have to fit a square Jack in a round hole. . ;D

I wonder where we could get those? ;)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.msg63872#msg63872