Converting External Roland GK PU into Internal type.

Started by Elantric, August 24, 2008, 10:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Read the article about converting a GK external to Internal.

http://jbwid.com/guitar/gk2a.htm

This one is focused on the GK2A - great pics - but japinglish google translation.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage2.nifty.com%2Fmtcom%2Fguitars%2Fbh120.html&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en

And see the attached PDF file below

gvidelock

UPDATED 27 April 2018: Photos are in a shared Google Photo album (link below)...Gary

I wanted to share my experience embedding the control board from an external GK-3 pickup into my Lonestar Strat last weekend.

About a year ago, I installed a Graphtech Ghost expander in my Telecaster and it was my main guitar for the better part of this year. But I was missing the maple neck on my Strat and the different feel of the contoured body.

So, to check whether I wanted to use the GR-55 with the Strat I purchased an external GK-3 through eBay and installed it on the Strat and brought it to a couple of rehearsals. I ended up doing our two summer party gigs with this setup and decided to take the plunge and go internal. Having installed the Ghost in the Telecaster, I had no hesitation about drilling holes or routing out the guitar.

The Planning

I turned to the forum search tool to find that Peter Harris (from the land down under) had a wired 13-pin socket (Synth-Linx) with a gasket to install in the body of the guitar. Peter and I exchanged a few emails which contained excellent instructions for placement and drilling, as well as some advice and alternatives to connecting to the circuit board. Peter threw in a natural gasket (in addition to the black one), which did match the color of the Strat better.

In addition, I needed:
   •   a 50K(B) pot
   •   either separate pushbuttons or a single three position toggle for S1/S2
        ?   I opted for the separate pushbuttons
        ?   the toggle would need to have momentary-on positions (ON)-OFF-(ON)
   •   to make a decision about the Guitar/Mix/Synth switch.

On the last point, I always keep the G/M/S switch in the Mix position for my patches. I contemplated leaving out the switch and hardwiring the Mix position, which would have simplified the installation in the end. On the external GK-3, there is a slide switch of the ON-ON-ON variety. This type of switch has a common wiper that, in each of the three positions, connects to one of three terminals. To get identical functionality in a toggle switch, a 12-terminal dual-pole, triple throw (DP3T) switch should be used (see this discussion for a further explanation: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/dpdt-vs-dp3t-742855/).

On the internal GK-3 schematic, it looked like Roland rewired the circuit and used a simpler dual-pole, dual-throw (DPDT) switch with an ON-OFF-ON configuration. I decided to use the wiring from the internal schematic. More on that later.

The Build

Once all of the parts arrived, I broke the job into five tasks:
   •   Disassemble the controller and guitar
   •   Remove the components from the controller
        •   1/4" guitar jack
        •   50K pot
        •   S1 and S2 pushbutton switches
        •   Guitar/Mix/Synth slide switch
        •   13-pin DIN connector.
   •   Drilling
        •   Locate, drill hole for, and install the Synth-Linx socket
        •   Enlarge hole from jack plate pocket to main compartment
        •   Locate, drill holes for, and install switches
   •   Attach all components
        •   Also, replace the middle Tone pot with the 50K Synth Volume pot
        •   Wire pot and switches to controller
        •   Wire Synth-Linx to controller
   •   Reassemble pickguard and 1/4" jack plate

I split the tasks up over the weekend and since I lose track of time working on these projects, I can only estimate that contact time was about 3 hours, but elapsed time was more than 6 (I did a lot of contemplation and "what if" scenarios). The longest stretch was the component removal from the controller board. Care must be taken not to rip up any circuit board etches.

One final assembly piece I had not fully considered was the routing of the pickup cable to the board now in the body. I ended up cutting a slot in the pickguard and running it in over the top. I had already cut this pick guard to mount the pickup, so it needed to stay in the original orientation (with the cable at the low e-string).

Pictures

Some select pictures are below and I put all of the pictures I took during the install in a Google Photo album at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7iCSLb5G2TRKWAoe8

My Conclusions

Unfortunately the wiring of the G/M/S switch did not work as expected. The Mix function works fine in the center position, and the Synth position works too, but the guitar position just cuts out all sound. I have several patches using the guitar's pickups which work in the Mix position, but no sound in the Guitar position. Luckily for me, as I mentioned before, I never use the Guitar position, so (right now) it doesn't bother me.

In the end, I am glad I did the project. I like not having the external control box.

Having said that, if I were to do it again I would buy the internal kit. The two main advantages would be to have connectors instead of soldered connections and the cable for the pickup would go directly into the body.

-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumbo

Great to see it all working gv..    ;D
...and thanks for the mention!

FWIW, soon I'll also be able to provide a version of the Synth-Linx jack with the correct connectors on the end of the cable so that it will just plug straight into the sockets on the PCB of the internal Roland kit.. ;)

Regards from Springtime Oz!!
gumbo / Peter Harris
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

ProgMystic

Hey thanks for sharing. That was a great run down on exactly the project I am wanting to undertake with an old Squier strat I have in the cupboard. Well done! :)
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

gvidelock

Thanks everyone.

Gumbo: the instructions were crystal clear and the construction of the jack is top notch.

I think there's one more modification to do. I combined the tone controls for all three pickups together. They sound fine through the patches, but when I plugged the 1/4" standard jack direct to my guitar amp, it sounded a little "muddy".

The humbucker had a different EQ capacitior, which is the one I kept, so the single coil pickups are off a bit. My present thinking is to switch the Tone control to a concentric pot and go back to separate Tone controls for the neck/middle and bridge.

I may save that one for the next time I change the strings  :)
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie

Quote from:  gumbo on September 14, 2013, 10:13:13 PM
Great to see it all working gv..    ;D
...and thanks for the mention!

FWIW, soon I'll also be able to provide a version of the Synth-Linx jack with the correct connectors on the end of the cable so that it will just plug straight into the sockets on the PCB of the internal Roland kit.. ;)

Regards from Springtime Oz!!
gumbo / Peter Harris

Peter, please let me know when the Synth-Linx jack with cable and connectors is available. I won an auction for a RR strat pickguard last night on eBay and will probably  install the GK-Kit into my Aerodyne Stratocaster. I'd much rather use your Synth-Linx jack than the stock Roland jack to minimize the size of the hole required.
Thanks!
Robbie

gumbo

Hi Robbie,
Thanks for that!

Won't be long ..  just heading out the door on a bit of a 'mission' right now, I'll PM you with more details in a few hours when I get back.   :)

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

Brilliant job - I'd love to do that with my GK3 and my Jackson guitar but it's a bit scary being a neckthru and all.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

swarfrat

Sweet. I started looking for an internal to replace my Ghost system, as I figured it was the best/least expensive route forward given I have a Yamaha G-50. (Vs sell the G-50, find an Axon, or DIY or whatever else.).  I already have an internally mounted 13 pin jack for the Graphtech, so I really wanted it internally mounted.

Terry50

You are the man,  Elantic.   :D
I haven't studied the whole link out yet; but you put me on the perfect path to what I needed to know.
Thank you very much and may God bless you !!!!! ;D
Terry

Elantric

Just an update

For those considering an Internal GK-3 installation - before diving in and breaking your working GK-3 PU,

consider ordering the real deal Roland GK-KIT-GT3 Internal kit from Andertons UK.

Amazingly , this great Roland Dealer in the UK sells globally with swift Fedex Shipping  - only costs $133 USB with shipping and it will be in your hands here in the USA in 3 days after you place your order. 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11241.0

Qdraw

Amazing, and this offer is still available... just ordered this morning.