using GR55 and GT100 together, GR55 affects GT100 sounds

Started by captain nemo, January 31, 2013, 02:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain nemo

Hi Guys,

cant see if this has been talked off before,

i run my guitar via 13 pin into the GR 55, then the guitar out to a GT 100 using just mag pickups only output to the GT100

ive noticed that when i have the GK3 switched to mag only and im playing away on just guitar, if i change a patch on the GR55 , despite it being for all intents muted and no sounds going to my pa from it, my guitar sound out of the GT100 changes. generally getting louder or quieter , maybe depending on the patch im changin on the GR55

i sometimes change the patch on the GR55 manually during a song to get it ready for another part rather than have the GT100 change the GR55 patch via midi.

anyone know why its doing this, its pretty annoying, i thought i wasn going mad at first, but its definately doing it.

gumtown

The omnly variables i know of that could change the levels is the guitar out tone selection setting may be different for some patches, when the output may be a modeled tone instead of the Normal PU's.
If you are not using the modeled tone on any of your patches, you might want the guitar out selection set from the system/global settings rather than the one in the patch settings menu.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

captain nemo

I already have the guitar out set as normal pick ups in the master tab
I can't see why it alters the normal pick up out if the guitar out
I'm working tonight and I switched the gr55 over to a piano patch and it made the guitar output into the gt100 really hot it was breaking up like I'd switched from weedy single coils to some emg85's or something

wilkinsi

I already plug the main outs of my GT-100 and GR-55 into my mixer. If using the GR-55's guitar out into the GT-100's guitar input presents a problem, I take the short cable off the GK3 and run a longer cable from the guitar straight into the GT-100, whilst still running a 13-pin cable from the GK3 into the GR-55. IOW, the normal pickups don't get processed by the GR-55 because they're only going straight into the GT. I never run either main output of the GR-55 into the GT-100's guitar input OR its return jack.

Baday12345

Quote from: wilkinsi on February 02, 2013, 03:24:50 PM
I already plug the main outs of my GT-100 and GR-55 into my mixer. If using the GR-55's guitar out into the GT-100's guitar input presents a problem, I take the short cable off the GK3 and run a longer cable from the guitar straight into the GT-100, whilst still running a 13-pin cable from the GK3 into the GR-55. IOW, the normal pickups don't get processed by the GR-55 because they're only going straight into the GT. I never run either main output of the GR-55 into the GT-100's guitar input OR its return jack.
thats how i roll as well.  the gt100 leads the gr55 augments... we are after all guitar players first.

captain nemo

Exactly, i have the gt100 on the floor in front of me and the GR 55 is out of the way under the desk and patch changes via midi from the GT100,  but why have a guitar out on the GT55 thats supposedly set to just mag out, if its not just the straight mag output  ,i cant understand why changing patch on the gr55 from one patch with no guitar on, to another ( so just pcm sounds on both) should make any difference to the guitar out going into the GT100,

both the GT 100 and GR 55 run stereo out into the desk, so the only connection between the GR55 and the GT 100 is the midi cable out to in from GT to GR so i can run the GR55 from the GT100 and the guitar out from GR 55 to the GT100 input.

i can see that running another guitar lead out of the guitar into the GT100 would work, but that seems to miss the point of having an output on the gr 55 thats just unaffected mag,

i dont want to have to start having 2 cables hanging out the guitar all the time, im forever standing on the one as it is

gumtown

Is your "Guitar out" settings done in the system menu and not in patch menu?

Just thinking if it is set to 'Patch' instead of 'system', some patches may accidentally have the modeliing enabled to the guitar out instead of the Normal pickups, resulting in different levels between patch changes.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

captain nemo

Quote from: gumtown on February 04, 2013, 02:42:35 AM
Is your "Guitar out" settings done in the system menu and not in patch menu?

Just thinking if it is set to 'Patch' instead of 'system', some patches may accidentally have the modeliing enabled to the guitar out instead of the Normal pickups, resulting in different levels between patch changes.

yeah that was the first thing i checked, i made sure it was a "global" setting

Toby Krebs

To be blunt. The 1/4 in.guitar output of the GR55 blows. Use the two cable method.Strap a good quality guitar cable to the GK cable with velcro and plug them into each respective unit. Eliminates a lot of noise and other troubles. Good Luck!

captain nemo

Quote from: Toby Krebs on February 05, 2013, 09:28:50 PM
To be blunt. The 1/4 in.guitar output of the GR55 blows. Use the two cable method.Strap a good quality guitar cable to the GK cable with velcro and plug them into each respective unit. Eliminates a lot of noise and other troubles. Good Luck!

that looks like how im gonna have to do it to be honest
just have to get used to it

Toby Krebs

Once you get used to it you wont go back. Make an extra and keep it with you.Makes everything cleaner and clearer. I use the GT-10 and GR55 together this way. Sometimes I use a POD HD 300 but I am starting to use the GT-10 with 4 cable method for guitar into a Fender BDRI for guitar tones.I bring two small dedicated amps to every gig.An alto 10 in PA speaker for the GR55 and whatever small amp I want to use for guitar. It's a pain but once I start playing it's all worth it.You are on your way!