Boss Katana Artist 100

Started by Elantric, January 13, 2018, 12:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

but more $$$

Appears the MusiciansFriend.com webmaster is updating their site with a new link to the new Boss Katana AIR wireless on main page, but accidentally posted the wrong pic!

We will know more in 12 days at 2018 Winter NAMM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

---
Katana amps have received worldwide acclaim for their authentic tube tone and feel, onboard BOSS effects, and exceptional value. The flagship Katana-Artist combo takes Katana performance to new heights, offering all the latest series features along with numerous refinements tailored for the needs of professional players. Outfitted with a premium 12-inch Waza speaker, semi-closed cabinet, newly retuned amp characters, and much more, the 100-watt Katana-Artist is a powerhouse tone machine for all types of music, from blues, jazz, and country to the heaviest rock styles.

About the Katana Amp Series
Katana—the traditional sword carried by the historic samurai of Japan—is a symbol of honor, precision, and artistry in Japanese culture. Adopting the majestic sword's name with pride, the Katana series presents guitar amplifiers with smooth, cutting tones honed by generations of dedication and expertise. Born of the development process behind the acclaimed Waza amplifier, these innovative amps embody BOSS's determined pursuit of the ultimate rock sound. Featuring proprietary circuit designs and meticulous tuning, the Katana series combines traditional craftsmanship and breakthrough functions to produce true next-generation rock amplifiers.

Refined Tones for Stage and Recording
Built for pro players, the 100-watt Katana-Artist combo features a new cabinet design with front-facing controls and a premium Waza 12-inch speaker. The semi-closed back is ideal for rock tones, and the tight, rugged construction produces rich, full sound with impressive projection. You can further tweak the response for your touch with the dedicated Cabinet Resonance control, which customizes the dynamic interaction between the amp's output section and speaker. In addition, the sound and response of the Katana-Artist's five amp characters have been fine-tuned to work in perfect harmony with the Waza speaker and new cabinet.

Waza Speaker: Legendary Tone, Modern Power
A standout feature of the Katana-Artist is its custom Waza 12-inch speaker, which produces tones inspired by the benchmark 25-watt British stack speaker from the 1960s. BOSS set out to fully capture the rock speaker's sought-after sound and response, but with the practical benefit of greatly increased power handling. Through detailed analysis of original speakers and careful selection of the magnet, cone material, and other construction elements, BOSS has fully realized this goal. Delivering rich, resonant tone with wide dynamic range, the Waza speaker brings the ultimate vintage rock sound to a compact 100-watt combo amp for the very first time.

Five Original Amp Characters, Fine-Tuned for the Katana-Artist
Newly refined specifically for the Katana-Artist, five selectable amp characters offer everything from organic vintage tones to modern high-gain sounds. Clean is natural and transparent, while Crunch offers satisfying grit and response. Lead has a wide gain range to suit many styles, from fat, stinging blues solos to fluid legato shredding. With DNA inherited from the Waza amp, Brown delivers refined high-gain tone sought after by the world's greatest rock players. The Acoustic character further enhances the Katana's versatility, providing optimized tone that makes acoustic-electric guitars sound stunningly natural.

Leave Your Pedalboard at Home
With its built-in BOSS effects, the Katana-Artist lets you perform anywhere with just a guitar and amp. Connecting to BOSS Tone Studio via USB provides access to 58 fully-customizable effects, and you can load your favorites into the amp's various effects sections. Going beyond standard distortion, delay, and reverb, the selection includes powerful tone-shapers like pitch shifting, ring mod, slicer, channel and global EQs, and many more. There's also an effects loop for patching in that external gear you can't live without. And via BOSS Tone Studio, you're able to move the loop's position, adjust input/output gain, and select series/parallel operation as needed.

Tone Settings: One-Touch Recall of Custom Amp and Effects Setups
One of the Katana-Artist's most powerful features is the ability to store favorite amp channel and effects setups in Tone Setting memories for instant recall. After you've dialed in a sound with the panel controls, simply save it to the desired memory with a quick button hold. Eight Tone Settings (two banks of four) are available, and you can easily select them from the panel. It's also possible to use an optional external footswitch for hands-free control on the gig.

Grab-and-Go Operation
While the Katana-Artist includes many advanced features, it's amazingly simple to operate. Familiar controls for gain, presence, and the three-band tone stack let you dial in sounds quickly, while essential effects parameters are adjusted with a simple knob twist. And with the convenient Power Control, you're able to roll back the overall volume while retaining the expressive tone and feel of a cranked-up amp. The Katana-Artist also features line, USB, and phones/recording outputs with cabinet simulation, allowing you to send mic'd up amp tones to a PA system, computer DAW, or headphones. Using the panel's Air Feel knob, the spatial character of the cab simulation can be instantly adjusted to suit different songs or styles.

Free Patches and Editor Software
At the BOSS Tone Central website, you'll find numerous free amp and effects setups for the Katana series. Created by pro guitarists, these setups provide ready-to-play sounds for various music styles, and also make great starting points for building your own sounds. They load into the memories in a Katana amp via the BOSS Tone Studio editor software, which is also available at the site. In addition to Katana effects selection and customization, BOSS Tone Studio gives you a convenient way to organize all your Katana setups for different gigs, recordings, and practice sessions.

Features
Professional 100-watt combo amp with enhanced tone and all the latest Katana features
Tube Logic design approach produces class-defying power, authoritative punch, and cutting presence for any performing situation
Robust analog class-AB power amp section delivers the authentic tone and highly musical response that Katana amps are noted for
Custom Waza 12-inch speaker realizes classic British stack speaker tone and response with increased power handling capacity
Newly designed cabinet with ultra-solid construction and semi-closed back for tight, focused tone with rich low end
Five unique amp characters, custom-tuned for optimum performance with the Katana-Artist's cabinet and Waza speaker
Choose from 58 customizable BOSS effects and many effect routing configurations with BOSS Tone Studio editor software
Eight Tone Setting memories for storing and recalling all amp and effect settings
Power Control for achieving cranked-amp tone and dynamic response at low volumes
Dedicated panel controls for Cabinet Resonance and Air Feel functions
Effects loop with position, gain, and series/parallel operation configurable via BOSS Tone Studio
Support for external control with optional footswitches (GA-FC, FS series) and MIDI
Stage-ready patches for all music styles available at BOSS Tone Central
SPECIFICATIONS
Power: 100W
Attenuation: 100W, 50W, 0.5W
Amp selection: acoustic, clean, crunch, lead, brown
Speaker: 1x12
Impedance: 8, 16 ohms
Controls: 3-band EQ, master, gain, volume, presence, power control switch, cabinet resonance switch (vintage, modern, deep), line out air feel switch (rec, live, blend)
Built-in FX: Booster/mod, delay, reverb
FX loop
Aux. input
Recording/headphone output
USB port
MIDI input
GA-FC jack: 1/4" TRS phone type
Dimensions: 29.8" x 9.8" x 20.3" (630 x 248 x 515 mm)
Weight: 41.9 lb. (19 kg)

Smash

Fantastic spot! And oops!!

Stereo could make me press the button

Elantric

zoomed in on only image available today 

It does look like on the far right that added new three way rotary switch knobs for Cabinet Resonance and Line Out Voice selection

vtgearhead

Cool.  I wonder if one of the line-out shaping options is "None"?

Elantric

Katana Artist 100 now removed from MF Main page

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

we await NAMM only 12 days away

hsuru4u

depends on price.if the small air is 400.00us...this new one will likely have to be more!!!! like 500-600.00 to make sense. I mean it wont be less then the air-that would kill air sells. It can be same as the k100 1-12 because it will kill those sales. So it has to be in a range that will still allow the others in the series to sell. I am calling 599.99....which is too rich for my blood and not worth jumping sjip on my k100 for. Selling the k100 1-12 you may get $200...250 if lucky...and the new amp isnt 2x worth the price.

Maybe the line out and and resonance knob are the same as the software 2.02 settings in the BTS software and just in this model actually on the ampface so no pc is needed to change that on the fly???

I read some are saying its a diff poweramp section but seems unlikely.I think its just a slightly diff design with maybe a more solid cabinet(birchwood and not mdx?) and the extra controls are maybe whats in the BTS software for the k100 already but they stuck them on the amp for on the fly tweaks so no pc is needed. ???    I just feel the katanas beauty was its pricepoint for its tone and versatility so....If they purt this at 599.99 or so it will ruin that beauty i bought mine for. Now> if it was a stereo 2-12 version at that 599.99(or so) i would look alot closer!

hsuru4u

after seeing that the new vox nantube head is 750.00 and the combo $900 about (which shocks me from vox) Boss may just think the "artist" katana is also worth those prices which seems to be the case alot with new products in modeling. I liked that the katana 100 and even 50 are amazing pricepoints for whats offered.This was alone very attractive to me.Same with the zoom g5n that i use and really enjoy.

On the vox nutube blue light amp i will wait FOR THEM TO REALIZE the price is silly- no effects onboard??

http://www.voxamps.com/MVX150C1

wow...my katana 100 sounds better...cant believe they posted these clips.

hsuru4u

ok so from a vid now taken down on this amp we can see it addresses the ext speaker out issue on the 1-12 combos/ has waza craft speakers in it whatever that means..maybe better maybe not on the 100 1-12) i think the speaker in the 1-12 k100 is actually a decent speaker.

and the extra bank button is handy as well as no need for bts hookup for direct out settings as the 2 extra knobs at the end on the front just allow it to be tweaked on the fly- handy for a gig maybe but at home no need as laptop and BTS will work. Also midi on the combo now.

So far it seems very minor tweaks and unless the poweramp/preamps are updated its likely the same amp as the k100 1-12

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25680275/
So far, from a video posted yesterday that is no more available on Youtube...

Speaker Out with an 8 ohm & 2x 16 ohm options
A/B bank extra switch button
Line Out Air Feel selector
Cabinet Resonance selector
Internal Waza Craft speaker
Midi jack

Big deal will be stereo FX ( but its still a rumor - but if no stereo  = no interest in upgrading the Katana I already own

Quoteok so from a vid now taken down

Where was it listed?
Only Boss Katana Artist 100 video I see is this

but if no stereo FX = no interest in upgrading the Katana I already own

( the new Katana AIR Wireless Amp with Stereo Audio and Wireless guitar system is more attractive to me
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22462.0

Cups

It's a hybrid Katana and Waza. Expect it to be expensive.
Just an educated guess though....

mooncaine

If it's a combo Katana and it's got a MIDI input jack, they've just gotten my interest. Will look forward to learning more about it.

hsuru4u

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 23, 2018, 11:42:35 AM
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25680275/
Big deal will be stereo FX ( but its still a rumor - but if no stereo  = no interest in upgrading the Katana I already own

Where was it listed?
Only Boss Katana Artist 100 video I see is this

but if no stereo FX = no interest in upgrading the Katana I already own

( the new Katana AIR Wireless Amp with Stereo Audio and Wireless guitar system is more attractive to me
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22462.0

same here...2 -12 stereo combo would interest me alot....

Smash

It's not Stereo.

KATANA ARTIST

https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-artist/?lang=en-JM

FLAGSHIP TONES, CRAFTED FOR PRO PLAYERS
Katana amps have received worldwide acclaim for their authentic tube tone and feel, onboard BOSS effects, and exceptional value. The flagship Katana-Artist combo takes Katana performance to new heights, offering all the latest series features along with numerous refinements tailored for the needs of professional players. Outfitted with a premium 12-inch Waza speaker, semi-closed cabinet, newly retuned amp characters, and much more, the 100-watt Katana-Artist is a powerhouse tone machine for all types of music, from blues, jazz, and country to the heaviest rock styles.

• Professional 100-watt combo amp with enhanced tone and all the latest Katana features
    Tube Logic design approach produces class-defying power, authoritative punch, and cutting presence for any performing situation
    Robust analog class-AB power amp section delivers the authentic tone and highly musical response that Katana amps are noted for
    Custom Waza 12-inch speaker realizes classic British stack speaker tone and response with increased power handling capacity
    Newly designed cabinet with ultra-solid construction and semi-closed back for tight, focused tone with rich low end
    Five unique amp characters, custom-tuned for optimum performance with the Katana-Artist's cabinet and Waza speaker
    Choose from 58 customizable BOSS effects and many effect routing configurations with BOSS Tone Studio editor software
    Eight Tone Setting memories for storing and recalling all amp and effect settings
    Power Control for achieving cranked-amp tone and dynamic response at low volumes
    Dedicated panel controls for Cabinet Resonance and Line Out Air Feel functions
    Effects loop with position, gain, and series/parallel operation configurable via BOSS Tone Studio
    Support for external control with optional footswitches (GA-FC, FS series) and MIDI
    Stage-ready patches for all music styles available at BOSS Tone Central

SPECIFICATIONSRated Power Output100 WNominal Input LevelINPUT: -10 dBu (1 M ohm)
AUX IN: -10 dBu (20 k ohms)
RETURN IN: -10 dBu (100 k ohm)Speaker30 cm (12 inches) x 1ControlsPOWER switch
MASTER knob
PRESENCE knob
POWER CONTROL switch (STANDBY, 0.5 W, 50 W, 100 W)
CABINET RESONANCE switch (VINTAGE, MODERN, DEEP)
LINE OUT AIR FEEL switch (REC, LIVE, BLEND)

[AMPLIFIER]
AMP TYPE knob (ACOUSTIC, CLEAN, CRUNCH, LEAD, BROWN)
GAIN knob
VOLUME knob

[EQUALIZER]
BASS knob
MIDDLE knob
TREBLE knob

[MULTI EFFECT]
BOOSTER/MOD button
DELAY/FX button
REVERB button
TAP button
BOOSTER/MOD knob
DELAY/FX knob
REVERB knob

[TONE SETTING]
BANK button
CH1 button
CH2 button
CH3 button
CH4 button
PANEL buttonIndicatorsACOUSTIC
CLEAN
CRUNCH
LEAD
BROWN
BOOSTER/MOD
DELAY/FX
REVERB
TAP
CH1
CH2
CH3
CH4
PANELConnectorsINPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
REC OUT/PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
SEND jack: 1/4-inch phone type
RETURN jack: 1/4-inch phone type
LINE OUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
SPEAKER OUT 16 ohms A jack: 1/4-inch phone type
SPEAKER OUT 16 ohms B jack: 1/4-inch phone type
SPEAKER OUT 8 ohms jack: 1/4-inch phone type
EXP PEDAL/CTL CH1/CH2 jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
GA-FC jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
MIDI IN connector
USB port: USB B type
AC IN jackPower Consumption77 WAccessoriesOwner' s manual
Power cord
GA-FC stickerOptions (sold separately)Footswitch: BOSS FS-5L, BOSS FS-6, BOSS FS-7
Expression pedal: Roland EV-5, BOSS EV-30, FV-500L, BOSS FV-500H
GA FOOT CONTROLLER (GA-FC)SIZE AND WEIGHTWidth630 mm
24-13/16 inchesDepth248 mm
9-13/16 inchesHeight515 mm
20-5/16 inchesWeight19 kg
41 lbs 15 oz* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms

admin

No option for a sealed back either
No stereo XLR FOH Outputs

My biggest disappointment with Katana as a practice amp is the mono headphone audio signal  - makes it impossible to use with third party stereo isolation apps (Riffstation)  to learn guitar parts (the GT-1 is superior for this ) 

vtgearhead

And, still no way to disable speaker emulation on line or rec out.  This looks like a K100 1x12 combo with two extra front-panel knobs (offering no new functionality) and 5-pin MIDI in.  Probably for a significant price differential.

admin

Quote from: snhirsch on January 24, 2018, 05:14:34 AM
And, still no way to disable speaker emulation on line or rec out.  This looks like a K100 1x12 combo with two extra front-panel knobs (offering no new functionality) and 5-pin MIDI in.  Probably for a significant price differential.
For same $$ Id still buy 2 Kat 100-112 and run in stereo and control them with my pre-owned Primovasound MIDX-20
and run them with Kat FW-1.02  - as that still allows 5 FX and custom FX order - I need Reverb 1st position for '60 California Surf 

kneagle

I notice it's a bit heavier - important for ol' farts like me. Probably the difference is the new speaker. I think the orig speaker is fine.

hsuru4u

Not interested really.Still think the k100 is a great value.Seems a better made cab and maybe better speaker.Did the tune the amps???? dont know.
on the boss site i see rabea from andertons doing vids for boss so seems andertons is into the amps..I know pete l;oves the k100 and chappers is connected to boss...so rabea must be now. I am sure they will all be pushing the artist 100 over the k100 big time and likely not be honest if they think the artist is close enough to the k100 to NOT get the artist over the k100?? we will see.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-katana-artist-100w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier?rNtt=katana&index=10

there it is  $600   yikes......the new gt1000 is 1k!!!!  what is boss thinking?

hsuru4u

ok...so all the salesmen will say it sounds better then the k100. Of course they will say that.REVOICED is a buzz word most a,p companies use over and over. I am sure that the new speaker could account for the "revoicing" of the preamps huh?

I remember a while ago i bought the vox ad120vtx amp.It had supposedly been "revoiced" compared to the ad120 exact same amp in controls and features.The only difference was the vtx model had vox neodog speakers in the combo. Well i have both amps 1) ad120vtx  and ad120. So i bought 2 12" neodog speakers and put them into the ad120 combo and did a side by side comparison of both amps on all models will all effects. Took me like a week to do this in my studio. Well they both sounded exactly the same so the whole "revoicing" of preamps in the newer vtx model was simply due to the diff speakers used.
Now may not be the same with katana but i suspect the software guts are exactly the same for both the aartist and the k100. And the diff in tones will be from the waza speaker vs the k100 speaker and maybe a small percent from the can build itself. pLUS mic placement was diff on both which can make huge diff.

What we need is specs on the waza speaker to see what speaker closely resembles it and then put it in the k100. Speakers can have a HUGE impact on tone as we all know.  The tweaking of amp models is done by the new speaker type I will bet. I may be wrong but it seems like the more waza crap boss can put into a boss unit(like their effects pedals) the more $$$$ they can charge...so now we SEE  waza speaker and so draindead buyers will think...oh wow its got waza stuff in it..cool...Ok sold!!!

Imagine the $$$ boss would save to NOT pay guys to tweak the software in the artist but just use the same guts as the k100 but add a few cosmedic refinements and add that WAZA item.

wow when he compared both its like night and day hoever my k100 doesnt sound as thin as he makes it sound. As i said who knows if they make the 100 sound worse on purpose.. but the speaker may make most of the difference along with a larger cab and semi closed..

mchad

Quote from: hsuru4u on January 24, 2018, 12:02:29 PM
Not interested really.Still think the k100 is a great value.Seems a better made cab and maybe better speaker.Did the tune the amps???? dont know.
on the boss site i see rabea from andertons doing vids for boss so seems andertons is into the amps..I know pete l;oves the k100 and chappers is connected to boss...so rabea must be now. I am sure they will all be pushing the artist 100 over the k100 big time and likely not be honest if they think the artist is close enough to the k100 to NOT get the artist over the k100?? we will see.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-katana-artist-100w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier?rNtt=katana&index=10

there it is  $600   yikes......the new gt1000 is 1k!!!!  what is boss thinking?

788 Australian dollars. Before shipping. I got 2 regular K100's for that.

Can't wait for someone to do a side by side comparison with the regular Kat.

Who likes front mounted controls? I like the top mounts myself.

Elantric

I got a Katana Head in October 2016 on sale $305 USD

then Dec 2016 I buy a "scratch & dent" Katana 100-112 from AMS for $250

and then Feb 2016 a 2nd Katana 100-112 used for $205

hsuru4u

Quote from: mchad on January 24, 2018, 04:30:13 PM
788 Australian dollars. Before shipping. I got 2 regular K100's for that.

Can't wait for someone to do a side by side comparison with the regular Kat.

Who likes front mounted controls? I like the top mounts myself.

didnt this place kind of do it????  but i think they didnt do it fairly

mchad

Quote from: hsuru4u on January 24, 2018, 05:37:01 PM
didnt this place kind of do it????  but i think they didnt do it fairly

Yes but I'd rather see/hear something from a member of this forum or the general guitar playing public.  :)

Smash

Sounds better to me - Andertons vid it sounds thicker, bit smoother and less agressively nasal than original. More rounded.

So...buy second-hand Kat and stick an EHX speaker in.