Boss Katana Cabinet 212 Speaker (open back / closed back)

Started by littlespaceman, February 26, 2017, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Boss 2x12 cab is on their web site
The versatile KATANA Cabinet212 is a companion cabinet for the popular KATANA-HEAD guitar amplifier. BOSS's special design provides enhanced bass response and rugged durability while keeping the weight down for easy mobility. The cabinet comes loaded with two custom 12-inch speakers that deliver powerful, punchy sound with rich, full bottom end, offering exceptional performance for tones from super-clean to ultra-heavy. And with the detachable back panel section, you can easily go from a tight and focused closed-back stack tone to the spacious open-back sound of a classic combo.
https://www.boss.info/ca/products/katana_cabinet212/

SPEAKER CABINET FOR THE KATANA AMPLIFIER HEAD
The versatile Katana Cabinet 212 is a companion cabinet for the popular Katana-Head guitar amplifier. BOSS's special design provides enhanced bass response and rugged durability while keeping the weight down for easy mobility. The cabinet comes loaded with two custom 12-inch speakers that deliver powerful, punchy sound with rich, full bottom end, offering exceptional performance for tones from super-clean to ultra-heavy. And with the detachable back panel section, you can easily go from a tight and focused closed-back stack tone to the spacious open-back sound of a classic combo.

Specially designed companion speaker cabinet for the 100-watt Katana-Head amplifier
Delivers maximum tonal performance and rugged durability with reduced weight
Rigid construction for big bottom end and tight, punchy response
Two custom 12-inch speakers
Detachable back panel section for closed-back and open-back tones from one cab
Additional rubber feet for using in a vertical configuration
Maximum power capacity: 150 watts
Cabinet impedance: 8 ohms

Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KTN-CAB212_eng01_W.pdf

savage1969

I ordered one yesterday from Sweetwater that is due to my doorstep on Friday the 22nd. I'll be pairing it with the Katana head unit and report back as soon as possible. Extremely hopeful that this "custom-voiced" cabinet was worth the wait (fingers crossed). Happy holidays until then, rock on.

Elantric

Quote from: savage1969 on December 19, 2017, 10:07:05 PM
I ordered one yesterday from Sweetwater that is due to my doorstep on Friday the 22nd. I'll be pairing it with the Katana head unit and report back as soon as possible. Extremely hopeful that this "custom-voiced" cabinet was worth the wait (fingers crossed). Happy holidays until then, rock on.

I was fortunate to help Roland / Boss as a tester and they applied a lot of my feedback on the final version.

Katana 100 watt Head  into the Katana 212 cabinet delivers a  "more polished" experience compared to any other Katana model. I prefer it as a closed back 2x12, but there is the option of removing the rear panel and convert it into an open back cabinet. Its a versatile rig unmatched performance and sound at this price point.     

Boris

When I got the head last June I had the same style cab built. Main differences being the speakers & mine aren't offset. Would be interesting to here the difference between the two.

CruisinDeuces

Quote from: savage1969 on December 19, 2017, 10:07:05 PM
I ordered one yesterday from Sweetwater that is due to my doorstep on Friday the 22nd. I'll be pairing it with the Katana head unit and report back as soon as possible.

How do you like it?  I'm getting a Katana head in the near future and am still pondering what to play it through.

admin

FWIW  -

An Important concept regarding frequency response from BluGuitar - which applies to Boss Katana 212 cab

The resulting frequency response is different depending on horizontal vs vertical orientation.

savage1969

Quote from: CruisinDeuces on February 19, 2018, 01:11:03 PM
How do you like it?  I'm getting a Katana head in the near future and am still pondering what to play it through.

My apologies for the late response, have been extremely busy of late. If you haven't already then grab this cab with the head as a set imho. The cab is the most perfect match out of all the cabs I have access to and I do not regret its purchase. I will admit it sounds even better after some break-in (I isolated the cab and looped dry riffs from my DAW through the whole unit for about a dozen two-hour sessions the first month I had it). The sound is tight and authoritative handling cleans an high gain with equal satisfaction. My preference (like most 2x12 setups) is to run it horizontal at a slight angle tilted up. As with any cab you should experiment to find your preferred sweet spot as listening position is critical and changes rapidly the further from directional center cone one is. My current preference is still closed back but is quick to change as noted in the above posts. I don't choke the head with the power control, running it at full 100w fwiw. Unit is solid to date.

Rock on.

coyote1411

I am using a cheap Harley Benton G212 vintage with my Katana head. It does not sound bad, but it seem to lack low frequencies and definition. I play mostly metal with the "boosted" brown channel.

I thought about buying the new katana 2x12 cab, but it cost practically the same as a katana 100W 2x12 combo, I see it as a bit of a nonsense or?
It must be really good to justify the price, or am I missing something?

For now I am sticking with the Harley Benton, I guess I will put some acoustic foam in the back and adjust the three cabinet resonance option on the katana to adjust the sound...

aturner

I just purchased the Katana head.  I need a new cabinet.  Looking for a 2x12 and was interested in this Boss cab.  I do want to use any cab I buy for other heads as well, or with my current combos.  While I think the cab will be great with the head, will it sound great with other heads as well? 

I was also toying with the idea of getting a 2x12 from Avatar with either the 2 vintage 30's or a combo of 1 vintage 30/1 g12t 75.  Would I be better going this route knowing i would be using the cab with multiple heads?

Thanks

Idgolfguy

I've had the Kat Cab and I like it - sold the Laney posted on the first page of this thread.

The Kat has a tight bottom end and good dispersion. I use it as a close-back. Highly recommended.