Boss GT-10 USB question - computer not seeing it...at all!

Started by Starscream, May 10, 2016, 09:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starscream

I'm on Vista...make a difference at all? Most likely not.  I'll give this one more shot tonight, giving up on the GT-10 driver completely.  There was seriously no lack of reading manuals. I could recite them back to front by now.  It was more so, the thought that I HAD to have the GT-10 driver installed to use the floorboard.  What I didn't realize, is that the midi connection appears (according to your last post) to work much different that the USB connection, which actually requires that stupid driver.  I didn't even think to check the sound devices for the MIDI cord, and just launch the floorboard after the MIDI cord driver install. 

One more time...with feeling.

Thank you so much for all of this...and your patience.

Elantric

QuoteI'm on Vista...make a difference at all? Most likely not.

Actually its a BIG Difference
Use the specific Roland UM ONE MKII USB Driver for Vista
http://www.rolandus.com/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/4961

and read the different set of Roland UM ONE MKII USB Driver for Vista installation instructions in the README.HTM file contained in the Roland UM ONE MKII USB Driver for Vista zip file (umone_visd_v100.zip)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16981.0;attach=14166

Starscream

I just edited my last post there, with a better explanation...check it.

Elantric

Use the specific Roland UM ONE MKII USB Driver for Vista
http://www.rolandus.com/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/4961

(wrong USB driver might be your original GT-10 problem ?)

You MUST Only use the specific Roland/Boss USB Driver for your Specific Operating system

there are separate unique Roland / Boss USB drivers for Roland UM ONE MKII USB MIDI  Cable located here
http://www.rolandus.com/products/um-one_mk2/downloads/

* Windows XP

* Windows Vista 32/64

* Windows 7 32/64

* Windows 8/8.1 32/64

* Windows 10 32/64

Since you are on Vista - ONLY Use the VISTA USB Driver ( Avoid the Windows 7 Drivers)

After you successfully install the  Roland UM ONE MKII USB Driver for Vista

Then you can connect the GT-10 via 5 pin MIDI I/O to the Roland UM ONE MKII cable

Gumtowns Floorboad Editors are consistent - you may benefit by reading the GR-55 Floorboard Editor help - which covers the MIDI I/O connection to the Roland/Boss hardware   
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86

Starscream

...trust me, I am not a n00b with computers.  I did install the right drivers, all around.  I have Vista 32, I download and install Vista 32.

What was really bugging me was that Install/Uninstall loop that the stupid disease ridden filth of a GT-10 driver was doing.  But what you're saying, is, with the Roland midi cord...that syphillated trash heap of a driver (GT-10) isn't needed?  Only the Roland MIDI one?  If that is, indeed, what's being implied...boy...don't I feel like a dull blade.  I spent a good 1 1/2 hours combing the registry trying to find where the stupid thing was hiding, to eradicate it completely from my system only to be foiled at every further attempt.

Elantric

You are on Vista- you always need a unique USB driver for every piece of USB gear you attempt to use

start reading here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18125.msg129111#msg129111

Starscream

I don't think you're understanding me.  All drivers I have ever attempted to / successfully installed on my machine, at any time since I have had it, have been Vista proprietary.  100%.  Never have I attempted to install a driver for any other OS on my machine. That equation is a dead issue, in fact it has never lived. 

Let me break it down...

1. All drivers are Vista 32.  My Machine runs Vista 32.

2. Is the following statement correct? - "I do not need, at any time, that blasted BOSS GT-10 driver (which is currently in some sort of install/uninstall death loop) when connecting the GT-10 via the Roland midi cord, but solely the driver for said Roland midi cord"

3. I have wasted countless hours trying to sort through this, not realizing that, if #2 is in fact a correct statement, was in any way a possibility.

Elantric

Quote2. Is the following statement correct? - "I do not need, at any time, that blasted BOSS GT-10 driver (which is currently in some sort of install/uninstall death loop) when connecting the GT-10 via the Roland midi cord, but solely the driver for said Roland midi cord"

Correct - thats the whole point of using UM-ONE MKII 5 pin MIDI connection instead - and  avoid using the GT-10 USB connection  and avoid the dreaded GT-10 USB VISTA Driver

QuoteI spent a good 1 1/2 hours combing the registry trying to find where the stupid thing was hiding, to eradicate it completely from my system only to be foiled at every further attempt.

Starscream

Already did that (CCleaner). Worked about as well as dropping an egg from 4 stories up, and expecting it not to break.

Look at point 2 on my mini list up there.  Is that a correct statement. (edit) - excellent.

Starscream

Right...hold yer breath, I'm giving er a shot tonight!

admin

QuoteMy Machine runs Vista 32.

I had an HP mini tower desktop like that back in 2007 - was the most buggy Microsoft operating system and least compatible with my audio / video / MIDI gear that I ever owned.
Vista 64 was an improvement due to its built in WinXP compatibility mode (missing in Vista32) - but today oldest I run is Windows 7 64 Pro - i still need old WinXP Cad/Cam apps, and I run those in a virtual WinXP environment under Win7 / Win8.1 with VMWare Player

Starscream

EUREKA!!!!  WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen....I thank you.  This...is...awesome!!!

WOOO!!!

Elantric

gumtown

Interested to know what the fix for it was..

Beat the computer with a stick ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Starscream

HAHAHA!  I was about to, man!  But the MIDI to USB worked like a charm!  The actual GT-10 driver was stuck in a death-loop of not being able to be uninstalled / not able to be installed, and that is where I was stuck....even with the MIDI to USB cord.

BUT!

What I didn't know, is that one does not need the GT-10 driver AT ALL when using the MIDI to USB.  So...after that Eureka moment, I'm back in business.

Elantric must have the patience of Job, I swear. 

One question for you though...is there a user manual for the floorboard?  I'm wondering if I can copy one patch to another using the software.  What an awesome awesome piece of software, man.  Insane!

thanks all...again.

-M

gumtown

I have never been great at writing user manuals, but to load a patch into the editor from the GT-10,
from the left side "patch tree' expand to the patch required, it will read in the patch names into the list.
A single mouse click on the patch name will make the GT-10 change to that patch selection, and also provide the editor with a write location should it be required (the number at the top left status bar).
A mouse double click (or mouse right button) will load the patch from the GT-10 into the editor, where you can make changes if required,.
To save to another User patch number (address), just a single mouse click on the new patch from the 'patch tree' list, and press the "write" button in the editor.

There are also 5 patch clipboards (temp) along the bottom row, which you can save the current patch edit workings or any currently open patch into.
You can paste it from any of the 5 clipboards to replace the current open patch settings, or make comparisons with different saved patch edit stages.
In each effect edit page are partial paste buttons, which will paste just the settings you see on that effect page from any of the 5 clipboards.

There is also a "bulk Write" button on each effect page, which allows you to write the current effect page settings to a selectable range of User patches in the GT-10.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

QuoteOne question for you though...is there a user manual for the floorboard? 

Gumtowns Floorboad Editors are consistent - you may benefit by reading the GR-55 Floorboard Editor Help PDF  - here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86

Elantric

Quote from: Elantric on May 11, 2016, 07:54:34 AM
CC Cleaner
Free version has a Windows Registry cleaner and driver remover utility
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hackers-slipped-malware-popular-pc-142300993.html
QuoteHackers slipped malware into popular PC software CCleaner
Engadget  Matt Brian,Engadget 4 hours ago
Reactions  Like  Reblog on Tumblr  Share  Tweet  Email

A popular PC-cleaning software used by over 130 million people put users at risk after hackers were able to insert malware into legitimate downloads. Piriform's CCleaner, owned by antivirus provider Avast, was found to be hosting a "contained a multi-stage malware payload" that could install ransomware or keyloggers and further infect target computers on command.

According to Avast, around 2.27 million people ran the affected software, which was delivered via a hacked server. The impact is damaging, but considering that the application has amassed over 2 billion downloads and adds around 5 million new users each month, it could have been significantly worse. The company said it has already forced updates of the affected version and in its own words was "able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm."

Starting life as a "crap cleaner," CCleaner has earned a reputation for its ability to remove rogue programs and clear things like tracking cookies on Windows PCs. Users trust the brand, which makes it a prime target for attackers. "By exploiting the trust relationship between software vendors and the users of their software, attackers can benefit from users' inherent trust in the files and web servers used to distribute updates," said Cisco Talos researchers, who discovered the threat, in a blog post.

The attack vector isn't a new one, but it's become a lot more prevalent in recent months. The Petya ransomware was distributed via a similar method and hackers also modified the Mac Bittorrent app Transmission on official servers to compromise users' computers.

In the past, attackers would create fake alternatives of popular applications and trick people into downloading them. The trend now, however, is to attack the download source directly and gain access to legitimate servers. Once they are in, it's a case of loading the trusted software with a nefarious payload, with the end-user being none the wiser.

"This is a prime example of the extent that attackers are willing to go through in their attempt to distribute malware to organizations and individuals around the world," Cisco Talos warns. "Attackers have shown that they are willing to leverage this trust to distribute malware while remaining undetected."

https://www.howtogeek.com/326742/ccleaner-was-hacked-what-you-need-to-know/

Maxjonz

I know this is an old thread - but I still read it as I had the same problem.     I realised however, that the laptop that I was using was one that had been upgraded to Windows 10 when Microsoft first released it, and so it wasn't a 'pure' Windows 10 but one running on top of Windows 7.    So I tried to load the drivers for WIndows 7, but got a reply that this was the wrong Windows version.  Not to be deterred I downloaded the drivers for Windows 8.   This then indicated that I should remove the existing drivers before loading the W8 version. It actually did this for me.    Then I ran the install again and followed the instructions, it took a while as the driver was being downloaded.    After rebooting the Laptop, I started the GT10 program and hey presto - it linked up perfectly !    Problem solved (for me anyway !) ;)