The Hate is Spreading to Marshall

Started by GuitarBuilder, October 22, 2017, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarBuilder

It seems like hate is the in thing these days.  Imagine my surprise when I got this message after posting some of my Marshall amps for sale on Craigslist:

QuoteSo,ummm,REALLY? Urr tryin' to sell all that Limey SHIT for that much when I've ALWAYS played Fender;s and SMOKE that Marshall SHIT!! Gimme a Twin-reverb with an extra 2-12 box and that DEFINED half-stack!!! Move back to England if ur that into Marshall!!! TURD!!!!

I can't believe Mr. Tom Eggleston actually took the time to write this email in response to my ad!  There are some sick puppies out there!  :o :o :o :o
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Kevin M

Stupidity abounds in all facets, unfortunately. For the record, there is an absolute place for BOTH types of amps, although I personally love Marshalls.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Kevin M on October 22, 2017, 10:40:46 AM
Stupidity abounds in all facets, unfortunately. For the record, there is an absolute place for BOTH types of amps, although I personally love Marshalls.

I also own Fender, BadCat, Roland, Egnater, and BOSS amps........

chrish

I derive a lot of Philosophy from musicians. Such encounters always lead me to these lyrics by Ralph Towner. One has to realize that we're all in various stages of growth.

"Silence of a Candle"

"there falls the words of fools about my ears
to hasten by the years the journey that I make through myself.

the travellers that pass by me as I wend my way
all reaching out to say their path can find the way
to the truth.

answers everywhere, promising solutions to my fears

leading through halls with no doors in the walls
and leave me in the darkness.

but to close my ears to all will bar the way for those who've travelled through.

the silence of a candle burning in my room
speaks softly of a peaceful balance to be found just beyond.

the road within without a right or wrong,with lanes for only one where solely one must see, and will know.

a stillness that resounds, singing sounds of hope to light my way

drawing me near to a path that is clear,
to free myself from darkness.

and the voice within the candle whispers of a timeless peace
that lies beyond.

that lies beyond."

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: chrish on October 22, 2017, 12:29:54 PM
I derive a lot of Philosophy from musicians. Such encounters always lead me to these lyrics by Ralph Towner. One has to realize that we're all in various stages of growth.

"Silence of a Candle"

"there falls the words of fools about my ears
to hasten by the years the journey that I make through myself.

the travellers that pass by me as I wend my way
all reaching out to say their path can find the way
to the truth.

answers everywhere, promising solutions to my fears

leading through halls with no doors in the walls
and leave me in the darkness.

but to close my ears to all will bar the way for those who've travelled through.

the silence of a candle burning in my room
speaks softly of a peaceful balance to be found just beyond.

the road within without a right or wrong,with lanes for only one where solely one must see, and will know.

a stillness that resounds, singing sounds of hope to light my way

drawing me near to a path that is clear,
to free myself from darkness.

that lies beyond.

that lies beyond."

I like Ralph!

Chumly

Hello GuitarBuilder,

You've witnessed American exceptionalism / American jingoism; however none of this is in any way new.

What is new, at least relatively speaking, is that there has been a major shift in the manufacturing base away from domestic and towards non-domestic, and with it the loss of many of those better paying manufacturing jobs. This shift, combined with a dramatic de-funding of the public education system, plus a massive decrease in tax rates only for the ultra-rich, plus a number of other powerful socio-economic changes that would take too long to address, makes it no surprise that you will now get those kinds of responses to your Craigslist ad, from time to time.

I am not an American, I'm Canadian, but I will remind you that you still live in perhaps the freest country in the world, and you very much can exercise your will to great effect, should you have the desire to do so!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

gumtown

I guess he has never tried a Marshall.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ericar123

Is the music industry getting Trumpified too?

chrish

Quote from: ericar123 on October 23, 2017, 08:19:56 AM
Is the music industry getting Trumpified too?
it's an internet thing that's got been going on for a while although that guy isn't setting a very good example in my opinion.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/08/05/reddit-finally-bans-rcoontown-and-other-hateful-subreddits-updates-user-policies/

And then there's this guy. There's a movement to boycott his modular synthproducts because of a bad, disrespectful, insensitive joke he told online and his refusal to apologize for that. Social media is definitely a double-edged sword.

www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/76zb1l/synthrotek_makes_rape_jokes_on_social_media/

Once again musician philosophy.

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."

chrish

Quote from:  sec6
Careful folks, let's keep politics out of this forum.
I was trying to give examples of questionable internet Behavior that's been going on for a very long time, which is in the realm of ethics. However I do agree with you, that name should not be spoken here.

Rhcole

The buffoon who wrote that crass and inappropriate note to you is in terrible pain. Behind the smirks and rudeness there is always a dark story that you can be grateful isn't yours to know.

Pete1959

Not certain if others have experienced that kind of hate with the digital versus analog world. I have.

To me, whatever tool works for the person is fine with the following conditions.
- You don't change presets around right before a gig.
- Never alter the layout of stompboxes or expression pedals before a gig.
- Don't rip open the back of your Fender, Marshall or other tube amp and change or play around with existing tubes or putting in new ones without a few hours of testing or rehearsals beforehand.

The 3 above conditions have occurred in bands I have played in. Happened to me early in my playing but thankfully, once with a preset and never again. The Marshall hater probably had a guitarist in their band who neglected the 3rd condition. From experience, my singer last July used a GT8 as an effects box plugged into a Marshall and broke all 3 rules mentioned with the expected result. Worse yet, he moved his solo preset on the GT8 only to have a clean quiet tone at the perfectly wrong moment onstage. Three seconds of hell for him.

I wonder if that Marshall hater is the same guy I met years ago here in Quebec. Whenever he saw a Marshall, he would point to the logo and say in French, "... Marche-Mal" which basically translates into "works bad".

My guess is he had history with one which was probably of his own making.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Rhcole on October 23, 2017, 10:26:55 PM
The buffoon who wrote that crass and inappropriate note to you is in terrible pain. Behind the smirks and rudeness there is always a dark story that you can be grateful isn't yours to know.

Clearly!  But how twisted does one's mind need to get to go on an unprovoked attack?  To me this is like the minds of mass-killers.

ALOfYRSnfWhres

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on October 22, 2017, 10:28:09 AM
It seems like hate is the in thing these days.  Imagine my surprise when I got this message after posting some of my Marshall amps for sale on Craigslist:

I can't believe Mr. Tom Eggleston actually took the time to write this email in response to my ad!  There are some sick puppies out there!  :o :o :o :o

maybe a clear sign of the "End of Times"

ericar123

It's pretty bad when someone has to buy music gear that is only made in his/her home country.

Chrisfromiowa

Other than this being from the Mumbai Craigslist and he works at the India Fender factory I can see no reason to have any American to hate one of our oldest trading partners, other than that they're dumb as a bag of rocks, no insult meant to the bag or the rocks.