GT-001 + Tone Studio + Macbook Air = crash with Play option

Started by Funky, February 10, 2016, 07:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funky

I am a daily user of my GT-001, connected to my Macbook Air, for training purposes as a beginner. I play along with songs or backing tracks, and would like to use the Play-option in the Boss Tone Studio, as it generally works well enough for me, and gives me the possibility to slow tracks down to learn them.

But...nearly every time I use it, the TS-app crashes, sometimes when restarting a song, sometimes when I manually try to go back in a song for a few seconds, sometimes when I stop the Play-screen...is that a known issue, or should it work properly ?

My setup : Macbook Air 2GHz i7 8 Gb, should be sufficient, and latest software update on the GT-001.

Thanks.

BROCKSTAR

I had a similar problem and found out you can't have any other browser windows open. When using the tone studio by itself and no browser/websites opened then it works fine for me but if I open chrome or any other browser while the tone studio is opened it'll freeze/crash.

Elantric

What version OSX ?

I still use OSX 10.9 with no problems.

But I understand OSX El Capitan continues to have many flaws with most pro audio apps

Funky

@brockdavisson : thanks for the tip, definitely worth a try because mostly my chrome is open in the background ! Next training sessions I'll try with no browser open.

@Elantric : I use 10.11.3 El Capitan...so one bug or another might cause the crashes too.

I'll try the next few days to use TS without a browser window open, and see if it helps. I'll post the result here in a few days.

Elantric

Quote@Elantric : I use 10.11.3 El Capitan...so one bug or another might cause the crashes too.

IMHO - its all related to the way Apple's current regime is focused on iTunes applying DRM in your Audio library -after you upload all your itunes music to the Cloud and then serving as a path for Apple to aggregate ASCAP/BMI royalty payments from all Music in the iTunes universe.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/03/how-much-musicians-make-spotify-itunes-youtube

And there are many reports that a new Mac with OSX El Capitan cant even playback any audio at 44.1kHz ( the Audio CD PCM Audio Standard) without introducing pops and crackles.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/4273

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/89990#89990

Explains why i stick with older versions of OSX and iTunes that still "work" for my needs.   

Funky

Well, thanks for the info. Sticking to an older version of OSX might be a good idea...I won't be so eager to update in the future...

Until now, the only problem I have is the Tone Studio crashing. I just used iTunes for a while when I had my first iOS devices, never liked it and stopped using it a few years back. The only MP3's I use now are files recorded by my guitar teacher (some with his band), where they cover songs and the guitar part is mixed away so I can play that. No royalties involved...My music collection is still on CD, partially backed up on a HDD somewhere in my closet...but I have to admit that I'm checking out Spotify...nice service for me as listener, but unfortunately not the most honest service for the artists.

Elantric

QuoteI am a daily user of my GT-001, connected to my Macbook Air, for training purposes as a beginner. I play along with songs or backing tracks, and would like to use the Play-option in the Boss Tone Studio, as it generally works well enough for me, and gives me the possibility to slow tracks down to learn them.

But...nearly every time I use it, the TS-app crashes, sometimes when restarting a song, sometimes when I manually try to go back in a song for a few seconds, sometimes when I stop the Play-screen...is that a known issue, or should it work properly ?

Until now, the only problem I have is the Tone Studio crashing. . . The only MP3's I use now are files recorded by my guitar teacher (some with his band), where they cover songs and the guitar part is mixed away so I can play that.

Boss Tone Studio Audio Player feature has very specific audio file type requirements
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15397.0

Here is a page from the Sy-300 version - but all versions of BTS use this same procedure

If you are trying to play MP3 files with the BTS Audio Player feature - that is probably the reason why BTS is crashing

Funky

Thanks again.

Well, closing all browser windows before using TS doesn't help (tip I got higher in this thread), I tried it but it crashed as usual.

Elantric, thanks, I wasn't aware that the file format should be wav...as it seems to work with MP3 too (except for the punctual crashes) I tought MP3 was right...this weekend I'll convert the MP3's I use to WAV, and start practicing with the WAVs. I'll keep you posted, but that might be the solution. To be continued...

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Funky on February 12, 2016, 04:41:35 AM
Thanks again.

Well, closing all browser windows before using TS doesn't help (tip I got higher in this thread), I tried it but it crashed as usual.

Elantric, thanks, I wasn't aware that the file format should be wav...as it seems to work with MP3 too (except for the punctual crashes) I tought MP3 was right...this weekend I'll convert the MP3's I use to WAV, and start practicing with the WAVs. I'll keep you posted, but that might be the solution. To be continued...

Sorry to hear, it works for me though, but hope you find a solution for you.

Funky

Update : I converted some of my MP3's to WAV, and started using them for practice. Unfortunately...same result, it still crashes way too often to practice without irritation.

As I already used an alternative music player (Vox) for playback at 100% speed, to avoid those crashes, I just downloaded an alternative which gives me the possibility to slow down tracks (without pitch change) and to loop parts of a song for practice. I chose for a very affordable option, called Loopster. Just started using it, but it seems to be a very easy to use and stable working program. Covers perfectly my needs. Only disadvantage is that I need to run 2 programs next to eachother, but that's not a real problem. Loopster gives some nice extra options anyway.

Anyway...thanks for the suggestions!