FTP FC-1 Live Rig

Started by Triskelion, August 15, 2016, 11:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triskelion

Hello,
I am stuck and need some help.  I am not gear-savvy at all, but I have splurged on the Fishman Triple-Play & the FC-1 footswitch.  My goal is to use the unit live (with my acoustic guitar) with an Expression Pedal.  FTP works well with my Takamine & White Bronze strings through my computer.  I understand the FC-1 can store presets for stand-alone use (don't want to use the computer).  I have an ipad, on which I have a scaled down version of Sample Tank; however, I use the ipad for lyrics on stage and both programs won't run at the same time.  I need some hand-holding on what else I need to reach my goal for an easy live rig (though I've spent hundreds already).  Do I need a synthesizer too?  Again, I'm a guitar player and knowledgeable about the midi world.  Thanks so much.

admin

QuoteI understand the FC-1 can store presets for stand-alone use (don't want to use the computer).  I have an ipad,

FWIW - FC-1 is not required for using FTP with iPad

read our

FTP FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.0

and

IOS: Connecting USB Class Compliant MIDI / Audio (Battery Power)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

There are Hardware Synths that feature USB Host Ports - for direct connection to FTP USB Receiver

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17369.0

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Triskelion on August 15, 2016, 11:33:21 AM
Hello,
I am stuck and need some help.  I am not gear-savvy at all, but I have splurged on the Fishman Triple-Play & the FC-1 footswitch.  My goal is to use the unit live (with my acoustic guitar) with an Expression Pedal.  FTP works well with my Takamine & White Bronze strings through my computer.  I understand the FC-1 can store presets for stand-alone use (don't want to use the computer).  I have an ipad, on which I have a scaled down version of Sample Tank; however, I use the ipad for lyrics on stage and both programs won't run at the same time.  I need some hand-holding on what else I need to reach my goal for an easy live rig (though I've spent hundreds already).  Do I need a synthesizer too?  Again, I'm a guitar player and knowledgeable about the midi world.  Thanks so much.

It looks like the primary use of iPad for lyrics makes matters more complicated.  While the latest version with iOS9 could in principle run two programs at once, it's not as user-friendly as having two windows on a laptop.  This makes it hard to do adjustments quickly, although it might work between sets.  Another option would be to use a hardware synth; this article has some good suggestions:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/26-of-the-best-affordable-hardware-synthesizers-in-the-world-today-585436

You could connect one directly to the MIDI Out on the FC-1 and keep the iPad for lyrics only.

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Triskelion

Thanks so much for the replies - I am certainly going to make my way through the reading.  So, it appears that I will need some kind of hardware synth that will actually provide the sounds and the FC-1 will store presets and allow foot control.  Two questions though: 1) What will I get for sounds?  I play a lot of Irish music and I am looking to couple my guitar sound with samples of mando, fiddle, etc.  2) How does this set up interface with the Triple Play program on the computer?  I'm sorry for what are probably infantile questions, but while running off the computer is fairly simple, I haven't been able to wrap my head around this live use rig.

thunderfingers

I'm using ftp w fc1. Using a zoom pedal for guitar sounds to lower cpu usage on my MacBook. FTP software changes patches fast enough only on Song bank mode of 10 patches- so I use a vst host named Gig Performer that seems to hold all my 70 plus patches in memory. I use livid guitar wing to change banks, enable rotary on organ patch, scroll patches, switch from guitar to synth and alternate between patches on verse/chorus. I hired a programmer to write bank change software that converts the 1 code from the guitar wing to the 3 codes needed for a bank change. I expanded the software for the alternating between patches and tracking my last patch on the previous bank. All done in AppleScript inside midipipe.

My pedalboard also has a rolls pm351 that is part of my in ear monitor system. It splits the mic and allows me to control how much synth, vocal and mic from the sound board I hear. Then there is an isolation transformer for audio from the board and a radial di for output.

I use a behringer audio interface to put the guitar through the computer but the only processsing is to switch between guitar and synth.

I could not find a reasonable priced boost pedal so I built one that is really just a cut with a volume bypassed or not.

Also have an akg mini 40 guitar wireless.

This setup is working pretty well for my live shows where we move from song to song in 3 secs or less. I'm sharing it because I worked so hard to get here. I hope someone else will benefit from it. Also if you have a better idea of how to do it, I would like to know.

Baharkoush

NICE MAN!

WOULD LIKE SO MUCH THE LIVID´S SCRIPT FOR THE 3 CHANGES AT THE SAME TIME. NOTIFY ME IF YOU WANT TO SHARE IT