Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller (User Experience)

Started by vablows, January 25, 2015, 10:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vablows

They are rolling out a footswitch for the FTP to go to Hardware, it will be $199.

You can control everything through it, 3 buttons, full MIDI.

Fishman Tripleplay FC-1 Manuals

FC-1 Quick Start
http://www.fishman.com/files/tripleplay_fc_1_quick_start_guide.pdf

FC-1 user Manual
http://www.fishman.com/files/tripleplay_fc_1_user_guide.pdf

FC-1 is in stock at Sweetwater
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleplayFC1

and Sweetwater ebay store. (earn ebay bucks)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Fishman+TriplePlay+FC-1&_sop=15

Large, easy-to-read graphic LCD, displays Patch name and number
Built-in tuner
TriplePlay battery level indication
Plug 'n play USB class compliant (no driver required)
5-Pin Din MIDI In/Out
1/4" Expression Pedal input
Relay-controlled 1/4 inch Guitar Audio In/Out
Mac/Win utility for MIDI CC foot switch assignment
3 programmable foot switches for patch up and down plus hold (sustain)
9-volt AC adapter and USB cable included

whippinpost91850

now that sounds interesting. Any word on availability

Elantric

April 2015

Foot pedal for USB Receiver . It's an accessory for all existing and new FTP users.

Three foot switches, 5 pin MIDI I/O , USB Host port,  Guitar I/O 1/4" audio jacks are simply to allow a means for the FTP Controller switch to mute the normal Guitar

whippinpost91850

HAMERMAN409

I really wish they had went with a full size USB connector.

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: vablows on December 06, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
FTP is coming out with a version that has ST3 already installed.
That's what I have been waiting for, I have been ready to convert to FTP but spoke with them and this way I will be able to use ST3 with my FTP while allowing my singer to use his MIDI keyboard in ST3 at the same time so we can both use it on 1 computer.
Do you mean bundled with a full version of SampleTank 3 as opposed to Sample Tank 2 XT, or would it be SampleTank 3 XT?

Spider

Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on January 25, 2015, 07:11:13 PM
is the USB out class complient

It should be and as I suppose it is.. It is only one possibilities to use FTP with floor controller and in the same time with computer.

Ringleader

This thing sure slipped under the radar. I didn't see anything about it except for right here.

So it is kind of like a Kenton USB midi host built into a MIDI foot pedal with EXp pedal input? Does the USB output act as an audio interface for the guitar input too? That's a pretty elaborate screen if that is all it does, or am I missing something? Is there a loop hold built in for standalone (iOS) use or does that only control the FTP software? This thing is intriguing but confusing!

Any idea about the street price?

Spider

Some my guess:

1. You can use FTP without computer and HAVE control over it. You can use D-pad and see whats going on.
2. I suppose it would be possible made whole setup without computer too.
3. It is dedicated mainly for hardwares synth (like Blo on picture) users. Patch up/down by foot, hold/looper too.
4. Guitar in/out is only for control on/off guitar signal via switch on FTP (synth, both, guitar) it isn't probably audio interface. So no USB audio out.
5. It is like Kenton on the floor but... not exactly. Kenton doesn't work with computer via USB and in the same time with MIDI 5 DIN. It isn't possible with MIDI4+ too i.e. it is possible route FTP dongle to USB but it isn't recognized by TriplePlay native app.  So setup on the fly, for example, is not possible.

Elantric

Fishman Tripleplay Floor Controller

Due April 2015 for $200 Street price

Foot pedal for the existing Tripleplay USB Receiver . It's an accessory for all existing and new FTP users.

Its a USB Host to 5pin MIDI I/O converter ( the existing FTP USB Receiver plugs in on the upper right top of the unit , with Three foot switches, 5 pin MIDI I/O , USB Host port, 1/4"  Guitar I/O jacks which are simply there to provide an internal audio relay mute switch as a means for the guitar mounted FTP Controller's three way switch to mute the normal Guitar signal when in the "Synth" position.

Its not a USB Audio Interface, but might also work as a USB Class compliant 5 pin MIDI Interface.

I understand deeper program-ability for this new Floor controller  - with selectable MIDI channels for the MIDI Mono Mode Note on/off transmission and user selectable Pitch bend range will be supported  by a new updated version of the Win/OSX FTP Control Panel app due Spring 2015   

Below  matches what I know
QuoteSome my guess:

1. You can use FTP without computer and HAVE control over it. You can use D-pad and see whats going on.
2. I suppose it would be possible made whole setup without computer too.
3. It is dedicated mainly for hardwares synth (like Blo on picture) users. Patch up/down by foot, hold/looper too.
4. Guitar in/out is only for control on/off guitar signal via switch on FTP (synth, both, guitar) it isn't probably audio interface. So no USB audio out.
5. It is like Kenton on the floor but... not exactly. Kenton doesn't work with computer via USB and in the same time with MIDI 5 DIN. It isn't possible with MIDI4+ too i.e. it is possible route FTP dongle to USB but it isn't recognized by TriplePlay native app.  So setup on the fly, for example, is not possible.

I voiced a strong desire for a dedicated IOS App for FTP setup / configuration - but I was told thats not going to happen 

whippinpost91850

Thank you very much!  that makes it a little more clear

Ringleader

Pretty big miss not making it a USB audio interface IMHO. That seems to be one of the biggest sources of confusion with the FTP. It would have been an iOS rig users dream minimalist device. But then I suppose I'd want dual XLR outputs and a headphone jack to get audio out of the iPad rig as well so probably would be a different type of product.

Although, having the dongle stick out of the top like that is pretty reckless. It should be better protected. Gotta say I'm gonna have to pass on it as is but mostly because I don't use any hardware synths. I could see how someone who does would like this.

Elantric

QuoteAlthough, having the dongle stick out of the top like that is pretty reckless.

I have to agree - you can see how the end of the "seated" FTP USB Receiver Dongle sits one inch above the top of the Footcontroller here (thats Burr Johnson's thumb near the FTP Dongle) - and is a target for those with big feet !

guitarno

Yes, that's a really strange choice of location for a delicate USB dongle. ??? That's an accident waiting to happen (mid-show).  :o You have to wonder if the people designing some of the modern day musical gear have ever even played on stage before.

Fishman has done some questionable things regarding the FTP since it's announcement / inception. I have to wonder if the potential impact of this technology was too big for them or the was lost on them. They're a good company and have some good products, but they seem to have made many missteps that have made the success of the FTP less than what it may have been.
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

QuoteFishman has done some questionable things regarding the FTP since it's announcement / inception. I have to wonder if the potential impact of this technology was too big for them or the was lost on them. They're a good company and have some good products, but they seem to have made many missteps that have made the success of the FTP less than what it may have been.

Its not for lack of trying ;) I have been voicing several (IMHO) good ideas to Fishman Tripleplay Team, but they prefer to head in other directions.

Three years after release and still zero IOS FTP config app is a big omission, despite Larry Fishman being the invited keynote speaker for Apple Engineers   
http://www.fishman.com/articles/apple-invites-larry-fishman-to-speak-at-special-employee-present

guitarno

Quote from:  Elantric on January 26, 2015, 12:02:03 PM

Its not for lack of trying ;) I have been voicing several (IMHO) good ideas to Fishman Tripleplay Team, but they prefer to head in other directions.

They should have hired someone (like you) as a "product consultant", and listened to them!  8)
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

Here is a better pic with the back end of the FTP USB Receiver showing in the installed position on the top upper right of the new FTP Foot Controller

First thing I would do is insert a short USB Extender cable and relocate the FTP USB Receiver to a different  / better protected location  -
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-2-0-Extension-Gold-Plated/dp/B002KNI796/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422321005&sr=1-4&keywords=USB+Extender+cable

as it sits now, this important component (FTP USB Receiver) is placed in a way too vulnerable location for getting damaged and will too easily get "sheered off" during a miscalculated patch change stage dance pivot with your big feet .

Maybe selling replacement FTP USB Receivers will be the new profit center for Fishman in 2015?

Toby Krebs

Quote from: guitarno on January 26, 2015, 11:52:50 AM
    Yes, that's a really strange choice of location for a delicate USB dongle. ??? That's an accident waiting to happen (mid-show).  :o You have to wonder if the people designing some of the modern day musical gear have ever even played on stage before.

Fishman has done some questionable things regarding the FTP since it's announcement / inception. I have to wonder if the potential impact of this technology was too big for them or the was lost on them. They're a good company and have some good products, but they seem to have made many missteps that have made the success of the FTP less than what it may have been.

it is a lot like Line 6 and the straight power cable they use for the HD series wall wart.I am constantly sweating that one.At least Roland / Visual Sound give you an angled cable so you have a chance.
I think a lot of this stuff is only looked at from a desktop point of use/view.

vablows

I was really disappointed when I got to the Fishman booth and this was what I saw.

I was seriously thinking about switching to the FTP, but this is basically useless to me.

Elantric

QuoteDo you mean bundled with a full version of SampleTank 3 as opposed to Sample Tank 2 XT, or would it be SampleTank 3 XT?

I understand they revamped the FTP Software bundle for new buyers in 2015  - now uses SampleTank 3 XT.

2pods

I would have loved a Roland hex out on the box, but I can take it that's not just improbable but impossible ?
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

Elantric

QuoteI would have loved a Roland hex out on the box, but I can take it that's not just improbable but impossible ?

not feasible - a bit bit like asking for a Roland Gk13 pin Out on the next iPhone

The FTP transmits zero Audio  - only MIDI

HAMERMAN409

I'm not thrilled with that location for the receiver either, I have to assume they chose it to get the best reception.

Elantric

The FTP is a completely self-contained device (the whole Guitar to MIDI processing happens on the guitar unit), the computer is just receiving the MIDI signals from the wireless dongle. In January at the NAMM a new product was introduced by Fishman, a stomp-box that hosts the wireless dongle and can drive hardware synths, so you do not have to take a laptop to your gig.
The processor in the FTP can perform the typical signal processing tasks significantly faster than computers, not to mention that it does not have to fight with the speed-limiting factors of computer OS, like input and output buffers that are necessary on a computer but cause a noticeable latency.
The radio chips used by the FTP are significantly cheaper than a Roland 13 pin cable. So the radio solution is not only convenient, it is cost efficient as well, and since the latency of the radio is less than 0.5 msec there is no mentionable drawback.

Andras Szalay

sloblue