Roland Guitar Friend Jam

Started by Ashman, July 12, 2012, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashman

This looks like it has just been released today.  Works with the GR55 and VG99.  Might be worth a try? 

http://www.roland.com/FriendJam/Guitar/features/

gumtown

OMG:  :o They have moved forward into the 20th century.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Everyone has an opinion-

Here's mine:

L A M E !!!

From the looks of this, perhaps they are busy working on RockBand integration too.

Roland goes to the full effort to build an internet infra structure for GR-55 and VG-99 owners to communicate with other users around the globe -

But they focus on who has the best chops?

(Who Cares??? I dont. )

Then they OMIT a GR-55 or VG-99 User Patch Exchange function ????????

WTF?

I guess there is still a need for our VGUitarForums GR-55 and VG-99 Patch Exchange area for the time being.

rolandvg99

Agreed. Leave the competition stuff to Guitar Hero. Music ain't a competition, it's a social happening. The VG and GR are turning into gaming devices. Some of the features are interesting while others reaks from desperation.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Mrchevy

Quote from: Elantric on July 12, 2012, 01:56:47 PMEveryone has an opinion- Here's mine: L A M E !!!

+1

Just what we need, another version of Guitar Hero/Facebook ::). How about a top notch community forum or some awesome editor software for your products, you know, something useful. Oh, that's right, why bother, there already is one, the V Guitar Forums and some guy somewhere named Gumtown that makes free Editors for us so we don't have to, and all it cost us was a GT100. " WE SO BUSINESS SAVY" :D.

I'm not interested in competing either. I know I'm better than some, and there's always someone better than me, so what. I'm sure it has it's uses for some, but I'll pass, you can all rest easy now ;)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

QuoteI know I'm better than some, and there's always someone better than me,

Bingo - I feel the same as you.

aliensporebomb

Well, I'm all for free software that expands what my existing equipment can do.  But a race?  Well, so be it.  Maybe version 1.5 will have more stuff we here would appreciate. 

I bet I can find a way to cheat it to make me #1.  Heh heh.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

tekrytor

As an exercise to improve dexterity, technical and improvisation skills, if it helps, great!
But if they can spend money promoting a "game" for "professional instruments", then why not on editors and performance software?

My guess is that someone offered this to them and they bought it. I might be wrong tho. It wouldn't be the first time I was called a conspiracy theorist.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

aliensporebomb

Guys:  don't slag it!  It's curiously addicting.  I got out my RR strat, plugged into one of my softsynths playing a lead tone and I quickly went from 275 to 346 points in 52 minutes and am 9th in the world at the moment and I was just horsing around.

That's okay, I'm MUCH more attracted to the "achievement" badges:  I got Funk, Jazz, Blues, and Ballad.  I have "Rock", "Pops", "Metal" and "MyMusic" to go.  I'm not a bad player but I could be better and more consistent if I practiced more and this is a COOL free tool.

Plus, the main screen shows the date and your "workout record" as a bar graph and if you're slacking off and it shows areas of the world where there are HOTBEDS OF 13-PIN people.  Predictably, Japan is a big one.  But there are other areas too.

Real monster players like Ruppert could be #1 pretty quickly and it's interesting to see people from around the world in the ranking.    You can CLICK on their names and get automatically redirected to their twitter account!

This COULD facilitate communications (Elantric you could create "vguitarforums.com" as a twitter name because it shows up in the rankings as twitter accounts, this could mean OTHERS around the world might find us!)

Litesnsirens

I don't mind Roland trying to inject a little fun into the fray, the competition side of it means nothing to me though, the only person I ever compete with is myself, in anything.  I really haven't investigated it enough to know exactly how it works but I'll probably download it and check it out.  If it seems like a decent practice tool that's both inspiring and motivating then it's worth the effort.  If not, no harm done, unless you're of the mind that if they'd put the people that built this on a more important task team where we all might actually benefit.  That's a pretty good argument too....

Elantric

germanicus

I tried it. Got a 403 on my first try. I did much worse on successive attempts.
Not a terrible thing from roland. Its fun to play to some tracks in styles I dont normally play within.

It could be expanded into something interesting.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

rolandvg99

Quote from: germanicus on July 12, 2012, 11:42:02 PM
I tried it. Got a 403 on my first try. I did much worse on successive attempts.
Not a terrible thing from roland. Its fun to play to some tracks in styles I dont normally play within.

It could be expanded into something interesting.

Beginners luck?  ;)

Mrchevy

Quote from: Elantric on July 12, 2012, 10:35:13 PM
Guitar Hero
LMFAO ! Perhaps my opinion, FWIW, may be a little harsh, especially since I haven't actually tried it, but you can get a pretty good idea what it's all about from reading at the website. Either way, I think their efforts could have been put to better and more purposeful use at a more for professional level. Who knows, with something like this, maybe the South Park gang might actually pick up a real guitar and learn something, in which case, Kudo's.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

Hey all, I don't normally watch South Park but you have got to go to the website and watch the full episode, nothing less than perfect!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Bill Ruppert

I wonder if I mount a GK-3 to my wrist it will let join in when Im flogging the dolphin.
Look out everybody its gold medals for me!

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on July 13, 2012, 04:58:41 AM
I wonder if I mount a GK-3 to my wrist it will let join in when Im flogging the dolphin.
Look out everybody its gold medals for me!
LOL - That's the funnniest thing I have read in a long time! :-)

Machh_2

for competition is not good...for fun...maybe...

aliensporebomb

What I found myself doing was "racing against myself" to try and improve my score.  Then I stopped, looked at my guitar, then the screen and went "hey Roland I saw what you did, you have me practicing!  That's naughty!".

Gold medals all around, lol!

Elantric

I believe Bill Ruppert will not mind if I share this quote

QuoteI didn't know music was a sport competition!

Which reminds me of a popular Frank Zappa quote

QuoteWriting About Music is Like Dancing About Architecture

But lets hope this is merely a beta test of a new global communication link for all users / owners in the Roland Global Empire, and once they debug this link (using this "Guitar Friend Game" ) that new fruits will soon unfold for us all.

I would like a "Talk to Mr Hidekazu Tanaka" (current Roland CEO)

Assuming a hostile take over does not occur  first:

http://www.roland.com/ir/pdf/2012/20120525.pdf

On the other hand - maybe its simply a new method for Ozzie to find the next new Guitar phenom.

rolandvg99

Quote from: Elantric on July 13, 2012, 07:16:10 AM...

On the other hand - maybe its simply a new method for Ozzie to find the next new Guitar phenom.

Thought that was Sharon's job?

Elantric

Sure

Sharon will simply log in to the Guitar Friend Results tab in October 2012, review the top 5 players so they can begin winter rehearsals for the summer 2013 OzzFest.

Elantric

aliensporebomb

Ozzy wouldn't let someone like me in his band: I have far less hair than he does!  And Sharon scares me.

That 100 licks video - cool!

Kenmac

I saw the video for this last night on YouTube and I was going to tell you all about it today but Ashman beat me to it. I also agree with peoples thoughts on the whole "music as competition" mindset.  ::) I've always found that to be a bizarre way of thinking. To me, competition is something for businesses and athletes, not musicians. FWIW, I'll probably download the software and at the very least check out the backing tracks. BTW, aliensporebomb, does the software have to be connected to the internet for the backing tracks to work?
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."