Godin Freeway SA

Started by foolevil, October 14, 2008, 06:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenact

If the problem appears to be in the guitar, I know an authorized Godin repair shop in Brooklyn, NY.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

kenact

Quote from:  Funkyfoe on July 19, 2014, 06:32:42 PM
Can someone tell me exactly what that little dip-switch does on my Godin Freeway SA? ?? It's right above the 13-pin port. From what I can tell it decreases the output level....is that all it does?
I can't find any info on-line or the manual even...figured I try here.

The manual for the Freeway SA is online @ http://www.godinguitars.com/freewaysa05.pdf
but it doesn't mention anything about a dip switch near the the 13 pin connector.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

QuoteCan someone tell me exactly what that little dip-switch does on my Godin Freeway SA? ?? It's right above the 13-pin port. From what I can tell it decreases the output level....is that all it does?
I can't find any info on-line or the manual even...figured I try here.
Suggest download all info for Ghost system from Graphtech at this link - Godin Freeway SA, and Carvin all use this same Ghost system
http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/ghost-installation-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Funkyfoe

Thanks Elantric. Having the Traktion switch in the "Roland position" makes a big difference in performance with my GP-10! I actually emailed Godin and they stated that, "It compresses the frequency range at the 13 pin output".

gibvictory

I currently own a Brian Moore. I love the versatility of this guitar. I recently picked up a RR Strat as a back up which should be fine after I get some issues with it sorted out. Ideally another affordable Brian Moore would be better but hard to find. I started looking at the Godin Freeway SA. Although they use the Ghost system there was no mention of using piezo saddles in the description on their site, just the Ghost hexpander. Is that interpretation correct? I do like the piezo in the Brian Moore for approximating an acoustic over the modelling in the GR55. Has anyone installed piezo saddles on their Godin or RR strat for that matter?

Elantric

Godin Freeway SA  uses  Ghost Piezo saddles.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm

I still hold Ghost piezo pickups in lower regard - due to their "Mike Christian" Piezo saddle design that exhibits much higher mechanical crosstalk, with resulting negative impact on DSP  Alt Tunings 

Read about Piezo saddles comparison  here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=44.msg72#msg72

If you love "thin necks" the Freeway delivers - ( its far too thin for my hands, where I prefer a 59 Les Paul Profile )   

Rhcole

Thinking of adding one to my collection. Those of you who have it, what do you think? I'm familiar with Ghost systems, have one now.
But, it looks tight for being able to slip a Fishman pickup in the gap between the bridge and the bridge pickup. Anybody know if it will fit?

Rhcole

...just measured ever so carefully, seems to be room for the FTP...

Elantric

jassy

Quote from:  Rhcole on March 24, 2015, 06:08:49 PM
Thinking of adding one to my collection. Those of you who have it, what do you think? I'm familiar with Ghost systems, have one now.
But, it looks tight for being able to slip a Fishman pickup in the gap between the bridge and the bridge pickup. Anybody know if it will fit?

I like mine as a guitar and 13 pin/midi controller.
Mclaughlin is a few years using one, so it can not be a bad instrument.

Rhcole

Thx,

Ordered one today.
Love me some thin necks, my fave right now is my kick-ass American Deluxe Tele Thinline
http://www.nstuffmusic.com/p-33491-fender-american-deluxe-telecaster-thinline-electric-guitar.aspx

I can get along with the baseball bat neck crowd, but it's not my planet of origin.

Elantric

Rhcole

Strike One! Got the guitar, and either the frets weren't beveled properly or the nut was miscut- High E slips off of neck around the 7th - 9th frets.
Back it went!
Ordered a second one...

BTW, I'm only giving Godin two strikes and the Freeway is OUT. If the second guitar isn't right, that's it.
The FTP fits it, though.

Elantric

What is your opinion on the  Godin Freeway SA's Neck profile ?

jerrycali

I like the freeway sa's neck more than the xtsa - I just ordered a new neck for one of my xtsa's from Warmouth - it is a Mahogany neck / ebony fretboard just like the original only not as wide - I expect there will be some modifications to be made -but to answer your question the freeway neck is much like a really good fender strat - I am very satisfied with it and I bought the guitar used - hope this helps

Rhcole

I only played it for a couple of hours or so before realizing it was defective- the fretting issue wasn't so blatant that I noticed it instantly. Once discovered, though...

Anyway, I'll post a detailed review IF my replacement is acceptable.

For the moment- the neck is relatively thin but wider (I think) than a Strat. The guitar was heavier than I expected it to be, that seems to be a Godin trademark for their solid bodies.
But, it balanced nicely and had a very appealing sound.

The Ghost sounded noticeably different than my Carvin- how about that? Punchier (not always a good thing) and quieter (always welcome). Probably because the SA doesn't have all of the "fruit salad" knobs, preamp tone variations, yak, yak. Very straightforward.

Will dig in for real if the new guitar passes muster.

Hey Elantric, we are both roughly the same age- and I'm at a point where a guitar has to work for me posture and body mechanics-wise or I can't keep it. Wrist and hand pains, shoulder pains, etc. can end the conversation about an otherwise great guitar for me.

I play seated though, so more than the neck I look for balanced bodies that don't pull off my lap when sitting. The only guitar neck that I couldn't abide by in recent years was a Hofner- neck felt like a Louisville Slugger!

billowhead

I've searched the forums and I can't find the answer to this question so I'm starting with a new topic.

I have a Godin Freeway SA with Ghost system and am currently going into a Boss GP-10.  What I'm finding is that there is a huge amount of noise coming from the 13 pin connection so much so that many of the patches are useless since they are responding as much to the noise as to the guitar signal.  Now, when I touch the mounting screws on the 13 pin connector, the noise goes away.

I've opened things up and can't see any failed connections or the like so I'm not quite sure how to resolve this and hence, this message.

Any ideas on the causes or corrections?

Thanks,

Kevin

Elantric

billowhead

I read through the thread suggested and didn't see anything related specifically to the grounding issue.  My apologies if I missed a way to fix that.

My cables seem fine and I've tried multiples so the problem is consistent.  Since the hum goes away when I touch the plate I assume there is a ground that needs to be in place but everything in the guitar seems properly connected so I'm not sure how best to solve that.

As I said, my apologies if this is redundant and I just didn't see it in the discussion about contact cleaners (a good idea btw).

Kevin

Elantric

QuoteI read through the thread suggested and didn't see anything related specifically to the grounding issue.

GK 13 Cable maintenance
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

Remember the GK-13 interface is flawed IMHO - using only ONE Ground Connection for all Analog signals , +7V/-7V distributed Power Supply Reference, and Control Voltage reference, using Only the large round chrome circular Shell on the DIN 13 connector for the crucial ELECTRICAL GROUND  connection to the GK-3.

The "achilles heel" weakest link is the tiny mating electrical contact finger for the large round Shell  'Ground" connection on the female 13 pin jacks on your guitar, GK-3 or  VG-99, GR-55. If this important electrical connection is flaky - you will have noise / hum  problems  (see yellow circle below)

QuoteSince the hum goes away when I touch the plate I assume there is a ground that needs to be in place but everything in the guitar seems properly connected so I'm not sure how best to solve that.

Agreed- sounds like you have a loose internal ground wire for the Ghost system

The Bridge should be grounded too 

With an Ohm meter  - when measuring resistance from the 1/4" output jack mounting nut - there should be "Zero  ohms"  to the Guitar Bridge and the large circular DIN 13 cable shell.

suggest read the Graphtech Ghost installation manual - this is the same system used in all Godin Freeways SA guitars
and pay attention to the GROUND Connections
http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/ghost-installation-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=2

lespauled

Last night, I picked up my used Godin Freeway SA.  It's the first Godin I have ever played.  I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with the quality of this guitar.  It is a beautiful guitar.  It has similar shape to a strat, but is MUCH heavier than a strat.   The neck is very thin, but is very comfortable to play.  It reminded my of my ESP Lynch Kamikaze neck, but slightly narrower.

I was impressed with the stock pickups.  My usual setup is a Seymour Duncan JB/TB and Jazz combination. I didn't expect much, but they were excellent pickups, so I'm not in a rush to replace them.

I didn't do an in-depth test of the Synth Access, except to make sure that it worked.  I'll eventually do a side-by-side comparison to my Roland Ready Strat.  If it performs as well, or even better, than the RR Strat, the strat will be placed on eBay or CL.

Results and photos to follow.

lespauled

Here are a couple of photos of the guitar.  Still really loving this guitar.

Elantric

Nice guitar - and the Planet Waves Locking Tuners are a good upgrade - although for that Fender type headstock I prefer the Hipshot Staggered Height Locking Tuners.

jerrycali

my Freeway -

gambaplancha

Hi guys,

Really good info about the Freeway SA's ghost/hexpander system. Mine did not come with a tremolo arm (bought it 2nd hand) and was wondering if anybody could please advise about the tremolo (and possibly measures) I should use. I've tried 2-3 tremolos I had at home and some were too narrow/wide to fit in the whammy bar cavity/hole.

Any help is really appreciated!

THanks!