VG-99 - King's X - Ty Tabour - It's Love

Started by A2theT, November 09, 2009, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A2theT

V 1.1
He has a really distinct tone which I've found difficult to model over the years.

Use CTRL1 to turn his heavy chorus on during the solos.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

stratman67

Thanks very much for your efforts as I've always been a HUGE King's X fan.  Ty's tone is very distinct indeed.  I was wondering if someone would tackle his tone at some point.

A2theT

Well a lot of it is in the drop D he uses plus the single coil in the bridge position of the strat.  He used to play mesas then he was running through randall's and now he has some new amps since 2004.  I think the tone may still need a little work.  I've adding a new mp3 sample tonight and updating the patch.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

AWESOME.  I'm a huge King's X fan.

What Ty was using for the first four albums was an unwieldy trainwreck of a setup:
-Fender Elite strats with the special pickups and booster preamp only available with that guitar,
-Gibson Lab L5 heads.
-A bunch of different effects (different flangers/choruses/delays).

And sometimes he'd be able to get the fabled Gretchen Tone and sometimes not.

He is using an Egnator amp with four preamp modules, two are commercial available and two are not.  The two
that aren't model his clean and dirty tones from the classic first four albums.

This is a VERY close approximation but might need a little more gain/mids in some spots but SOME of that comes from
Doug Pinnick's ridiculous bass playing where he almost is like a second guitar player in spots. 

I'm tickled pink to have this because I actually got "kinda sorta close" with my Mesa Studio preamp back in the day but it
lacked the right midrange tinge.

I love it, I'm going to mess with this a lot.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.