GR-55 - Quacky, Twangy, Beefy, Punchy, Muddy Guitars (Revised)

Started by jonathanf106, June 11, 2016, 12:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathanf106

If you enjoy those quacky, twangy, beefy, punchy tones from guitar pickups, I created some patches for the Strat, Telecaster, LP, and the 335. I try to emulate pickups like duckbuckers and burstbucker pros by altering the frequencies on the EQ, and adding tone to different range gauges.

** Feel free to tweak the amps, and or the EQ and other effects as you please, and let me know what you think**

If you want the vibrato fx with your COSM guitar patches,  I recommend you by a cheap $24-28 Brehringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato pedal,  it works so great on "unlatched" mode it feels like using a tremelo arm because it only comes on when you press the pedal down. 
Please use a 9v adapter with this  no universal ones the pull too much current and makes it noisey.
* to know if you got the correct 9v AC adapter, the light should flash on then off, while the input is connected. If the light stays on in bypass mode, the adapter has too much current.  Or just use a 9v lithium battery last the longer than alkaline. 

Setup: Guitar(GK3)>GR-55>Phones/Line or Guitar out> UV300(IN)>UV300(OUT)> Amp.

*IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE GR-55 FUNK GUITAR PACK, DON'T DOWNLOAD BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME PATCHES, I'M JUST REVISING THIS POST.*

alexmcginness

Quote from: jonathanf106 on June 11, 2016, 12:04:24 AM
If you enjoy those quacky, twangy, beefy, punchy tones from guitar pickups, I created some patches for the Strat, Telecaster, LP, and the 335. I try to emulate pickups like duckbuckers and burstbucker pros by altering the frequencies on the EQ, and adding tone to different range gauges.

The best tool for this is an app called Har-Bal. You can lay the response of the  virtual guitar over the response curve of the real thing and see where you need to EQ the virtual one to get it exact. I modeled my American Strat into my VG-99 doing this.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

jonathanf106

Quote from: alexmcginness on June 11, 2016, 04:44:30 AM
The best tool for this is an app called Har-Bal. You can lay the response of the  virtual guitar over the response curve of the real thing and see where you need to EQ the virtual one to get it exact. I modeled my American Strat into my VG-99 doing this.

Sounds like a good idea and much better than guessing with it by ear. Im going to try that. But you also gotta have the right pickups as well. I have other ideas of acheiving the same tones by using the on board MFX. This was just the first one and more natural way before I started using fx to achieve the same or better tone. The frequencies i was using kinda reduce the tone to a quick snap instead of a sustaining tone. I could have changed it so it could do both. 

alexmcginness

The easiest way to get the eq curve exact is to mount a GK pickup on the guitar youre modeling. Lets say youre doing a Strat into the vg99.
   First plug in the 99 into your audio interface and the real guitar into another input of the audio interface.
   Next I boot up wave lab and assign one input to the left channel and the other to the right and set up wave lab to record a stereo track. Before the recording starts you need to match up the string volume on the virtual strat to the real one. So you pluck each string and adjust the individual volumes of each string on the V strat so they match. the record meters in wavelab will show this for you. Also make sure that the V guitar is set to the same pickup as the real guitar and the tone pot on both are in roughly the same area and record a wave by playing a few chords over all 6 strings
  Now copy the left side of the stereo wave to a mono track and save it and then do the same for the right side.
Boot up HAR BAL and import the mono wave for the V guitar and load the mono wave from the real guitar and you can see exactly where you need to eq the v guitar to get the response as close as can be gotten inside the 99.

Its time consuming but the results are as close to exact as you can get them.

If you dont want to mount a GK on the guitar youre modeling just recod say an E chord in the first position and save it as a mono file and then record the same Echord from the V guitar and import them into Har bal. Its not as exact as you have to try and reproduce the way you strummed the real guitar and then the v guitar as close as possible.
  Either way HARBAL will get you well in the ballpark.;
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

get a PRS and play a full E chord into wavelab or some other recording app and save it out as a mono wave. Pull up a humbucker model inside of your V guitar simulator and record an Echord with that. Put them into HARBAL and see how close the two are. I try to use the same type of virtual pickup as the guitar Im modeling.
  Try other v humbucker models and see if they are closer to the real thing.

Carry a guitar cable and a portable digital recorder with you if you can, as you never know when youll be able to grab a sample of an axe you want to clone especially when you take a trip to the local guitar shop. Make sure the guitar youre modeling is in tune as this will effect the wave display in Harbal.

jonathanf106

Quote from: alexmcginness on June 11, 2016, 09:53:08 AM
get a PRS and play a full E chord into wavelab or some other recording app and save it out as a mono wave. Pull up a humbucker model inside of your V guitar simulator and record an Echord with that. Put them into HARBAL and see how close the two are. I try to use the same type of virtual pickup as the guitar Im modeling.
  Try other v humbucker models and see if they are closer to the real thing.

Carry a guitar chord and a portable digital recorder with you if you can, as you never know when youll be able to grab a sample of an axe you want to clone especially when you take a trip to the local guitar shop. Make sure the guitar youre modeling is in tune as this will effect the wave display in Harbal.

Good deal, I will do thanks for the help. And feel free to upload some of the real guitar modeling patches you created, I would love to hear them and use some of them as well.

alexmcginness

Quote from: jonathanf106 on June 11, 2016, 10:03:14 AM
Good deal, I will do thanks for the help. And feel free to upload some of the real guitar modeling patches you created, I would love to hear them and use some of them as well.

Ahh and theres the rub. In order to get them to work with your guitar youll not only need the patch but youll need to tweak them as each guitar with a GK pickup will sound somewhat different depending on strings, the wood of the guitar and the placement of the GK pickup on the guitar and the distance of the GK PU from the bridge and the distance of the pole pieces on the GK from the strings.
   So, along with the patch youll need an audiofile of the V guitar playing say an E chord so you can do a comparrison of the patch being triggered from your V box and the audio file of the patch being triggered from the original V guitar cloned patch.
   Sometimes they are close. My strat clone of my 92 American standard sounds virtually identical when Im using that guitar to trigger the virtual re creation but I had to do a bit of tweaking to get my Traveller Escape MKII with a GK on it to make it close,  as the GK on it wasnt the best of installs. Due to the construction of the guitar the 6th string is a bit too close to the GK so the bottom string sounds louder than it should etc.
   Im gonna clone my eary 60s PAFs this summer. Ill throw them up in August. For that kind of cloning I only use the VG-99 as its got 5? EQs and you can get very surgical with it.

jonathanf106

Can't wait to listen to them, how hard is for you to transfer your VG-99 patches to your GR-55, One thing I like about the VG-99, it allow you to virtual move pickups where you want them virtually. H-H, S-S-H, H-S-H, H-H-S, H-H-H, S-S-S, P90-H, H-H-P90, P90-S-S, etc.

alexmcginness

Quote from: jonathanf106 on June 11, 2016, 12:17:43 PM
Can't wait to listen to them, how hard is for you to transfer your VG-99 patches to your GR-55, One thing I like about the VG-99, it allow you to virtual move pickups where you want them virtually. H-H, S-S-H, H-S-H, H-H-S, H-H-H, S-S-S, P90-H, H-H-P90, P90-S-S, etc.

I havent transferred any to the GR-55. The only transferring Ive tried so far is from the 99 to the GP 10. Thats a little trickey as theres less eqs and no compressor along with other FX.  My Strat patch didnt need much EQuing. Its not an exact match but its pretty close.

jonathanf106

Quote from: alexmcginness on June 11, 2016, 12:28:53 PM
I havent transferred any to the GR-55. The only transferring Ive tried so far is from the 99 to the GP 10. Thats a little trickey as theres less eqs and no compressor along with other FX.  My Strat patch didnt need much EQuing. Its not an exact match but its pretty close.

Har-Bal is like $120, So I have some samples of my real LP with burstbucker pro pickups and the virtual guitar one, as well as some Strat samples, I was wondering could you analyze the differences for me and give me the results, would there be charge for that?

alexmcginness

jonathanf106