PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

substation7

Quote from: snhirsch on April 20, 2017, 04:48:02 AM
I wish I could make sense of the MidiYoke documentation.  If it's capable of intercepting data both to/from an application it would be quite handy.  Their nomenclature refers to inputs as outputs and vice-versa, which really adds to the fun.  Was unable to find a single worked-through example of how one uses it and could never get it to do anything here besides acting as a bit-bucket.

MIDIYoke doesn't like to on 64bit OS's.  I hear people have made it work, but I haven't had much luck.

Two alternatives that I know about are LoopMIDI and LoopBe1 / LoopBe30.  LoopMIDI has worked well for me.

LoopMIDI
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

LoopBe1 (free)
http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

LoopBe30 (paid)
http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe30.html
I bought a new guitar! And then she asks "Are you gonna sell the old one?"

substation7

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 20, 2017, 01:08:14 PM
FWIW, the new MIDX V2.0 firmware will have some unique Channel and CC mapping possibilities.
I'm not sure it can be found elsewhere, and I don't know why I did it, but it will be there. Maybe all this work is for nothing.

Can this new function be used to filter the incoming midi stream and allow only a single midi channel out of an assigned USB port?

I ask because I have a Zoom CRD-70 which responds to MIDI program change through the USB port, however, only in OMNI mode.  It would be cool if I could integrate it into my MIDI controlled pedalboard. 

mooncaine

I don't even need one and I want it. I'm wondering if it would make the Virtual Jeff more useful (assuming that the Virtual Jeff actually exists, lol).

CodeSmart

Quote from: substation7 on April 20, 2017, 06:29:02 PM
Can this new function be used to filter the incoming midi stream and allow only a single midi channel out of an assigned USB port?

I ask because I have a Zoom CRD-70 which responds to MIDI program change through the USB port, however, only in OMNI mode.  It would be cool if I could integrate it into my MIDI controlled pedalboard.

I'll add that for sure. Never thought of a filter removing unwanted channels.
Thanks!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 20, 2017, 11:15:52 PM
I'll add that for sure. Never thought of a filter removing unwanted channels.
Thanks!

Hi, Robert.  If you have a minute sometime, take a look at the feature set for the iConnectivity mio2.  May provide some further ideas for MIDI message filtering / routing.

I forgot to add:  Don't pay any attention to their UI!  Easily one of the worst I've encountered (and I've seen some awful ones over the years).  Even their own tech support folks admit it's a dog.

admin

Quote from: snhirsch on April 21, 2017, 04:58:30 AM
Hi, Robert.  If you have a minute sometime, take a look at the feature set for the iConnectivity mio2.  May provide some further ideas for MIDI message filtering / routine.

Agreed -

But the "king of the hill is the the BOMEBox -but that might require an RPI class CPU / RAM

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/09/27/whats-a-bomebox-and-why-would-i-need-it/

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13459.msg98821#msg98821

substation7

Quote from: gumtown on April 18, 2017, 07:55:49 PM
I know the GT midi specification inside out, but that data collection seems meaningless to me, it has not collected any midi data, only high level USB connection handshake data.
Yes, snhirsch suggested I try to sniff the USB as it initialized its connection with the GT-001 to see if something was being sent to enable external clock. I will admit that I don't know much about deciphering USB transactions though.

An easier way would be
midi clock sender software > computer USB > MIDX-20 USB1 > MIDX-20 USB2 > USB-Midi Device adapter 1 midi out > USB-Midi Device adapter 2 midi in > USB-Midi Device adapter 2 USB > computer USB > midi monitoring software.

If you send midi clock, the monitoring software should see it.
I didn't think the MIDX-20 could be connected directly to a computer via its USB ports as they are acting as host ports.  Maybe Robert can confirm this.  I have connected as shown below and have been able to verify that MIDI clock is successfully passing through the MIDX-20.  It works perfectly with either of the MIDX-20's USB ports.

MIDIOX (sending MIDI clock) > Computer USB > Tascam US-122 OUT (5pin) > MIDX-20 IN (5pin) > MIDX-20 USB1 > Roland UM-ONE OUT (5pin) >Tascam US-122 IN > MIDIOX Monitor

Have you had any success getting a GT-001 to respond to external MIDI clock without being directly connected to a computer via USB?  If so, please share. I'm really hoping to use the GT-001 on my pedalboard, but I need it to be able to sync incoming clock.

Does your GT-001 have the latest firmware installed?
Yes, am at Ver.1.10

CodeSmart

Quote from: snhirsch on April 21, 2017, 04:58:30 AM
Hi, Robert.  If you have a minute sometime, take a look at the feature set for the iConnectivity mio2.  May provide some further ideas for MIDI message filtering / routing.

I forgot to add:  Don't pay any attention to their UI!  Easily one of the worst I've encountered (and I've seen some awful ones over the years).  Even their own tech support folks admit it's a dog.

Ok Steve, I did and now it's there. Since last night. I hope to begin the careful testing phase soon. Just got a one kilobyte code memory left :o

vtgearhead

Way to go, Robert!  Ok, you've convinced me, I have to have one.  It will keep my two MIDX-10s company (picked a second one up from a person in the UK).  Put my name on the magic list...

substation7

Outstanding Robert!  If you need a beta tester let me know.

carlb

Hi Robert,

Great work! So if I need to coordinate a footcontroller to send separate commands to the GP-10 at the same time as Katana, I could use the virtual channels to translate channel commands for perhaps channel 2 on USB A down to channel 1?

If so, that's pretty useful, as I don't think the Roland/Boss gear can change it's channel input ... correct?
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

vtgearhead

Katana can listen on any of the first four MIDI channels. 

KuRi

Thanks Robert! Waiting for the new awesome firmware eagerly!

CodeSmart

Even without the upcoming 2.0 firmware, the Katana Bridge in V1.4 (available on my homepage) can be configured to listen to any channel 1-16
(The actual (hidden) transaction between the MIDX bridge and the Katana is carried out using whatever channel setup in the Katana)

I would connect the GP-10 to LWR USB port (it's a little bit faster if you need Guitar-to-MIDI), Katana in UPR and configure the Bridge to listen to CH2 and use CH1 for the GP-10.

(I'm working as much I can with the 2.0 firmware and the new Assistant PC program but there's still things to fix)

chopsuey

I found this device when I was looking for ways to expand the possibilities with my current home rig (GP-10/Teenage Engineering OP-1/Source Audio Hot Hand). More specifically, I have the following in mind:
1) hook this up with a Source Audio Hot Hand USB (class-compliant) to control effects on GP-10
2) use the GP-10 to trigger synth sounds of the OP-1 (class-compliant)
Do you think this would work? Is there any news when the next batch might be ready?

CodeSmart

Quote from: chopsuey on May 07, 2017, 06:09:17 AM
I found this device when I was looking for ways to expand the possibilities with my current home rig (GP-10/Teenage Engineering OP-1/Source Audio Hot Hand). More specifically, I have the following in mind:
1) hook this up with a Source Audio Hot Hand USB (class-compliant) to control effects on GP-10
2) use the GP-10 to trigger synth sounds of the OP-1 (class-compliant)
Do you think this would work? Is there any news when the next batch might be ready?
You have three USB Devices you want to connect to the two USB Hosts of the MIDX-20. And none of them have 5-Pin MIDI so obviously something is missing in your equation.

Complete units are still several weeks away.

CodeSmart

Firmware 2.0 is more or less completed (but still some work on the PC Assistant). Great stuff with remapping channels, duplicate channels, message/channel filtering, control value/expression pedal rescaling/calibration etc.
Tonight I revisiting the Katana Bridge V2.0 to start include all the new findings by great people here on the VG forum. Oh it's so cool to be able to enable/disable all the DSP's freely, Booster/Mod/Delay/Fx/Reverb independently without the block restrictions Boss put into it ;D
Also including the sneaky effects and sneaky amps etc.

And Gumtown, your Katana Floorboard has reached excellence now  :D

Whenever done and time permits I hope to make a video with the Katana+MIDX-20+Softstep2 to show the possibilities.

I still have mighty 245 bytes code memory left so a LOT can still happen.

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24112430/

PrimovaSound (Sweden) has designed a product (MIDX-20) that provides remote MIDI control for the Fender Mustang III V2.

I will test this with Fender Mustang GT soon

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

BOSS KATANA
The MIDX-20 is compatible with all Boss Katana combo amplifiers, allowing them to be controlled by the same MIDI commands as the Katana Head amplifier.

FENDER MUSTANG
If you use Fender Mustang™ Amplifiers you can control every aspect of up to two amplifiers using regular MIDI commands.

Each of the two MIDX-20 USB connectors incorporate a "Mustang-MIDI-Bridge" that will read your MIDI commands and control the Mustang amplifier on-the-fly.

If using the free MIDX-20 PC Assistant software you can program individual MIDI listening channels

CodeSmart

A new batch is in production. Enclosures are being painted and boards are soon completed.
Only thing not home yet are the guitar jacks, said to be shipped May 23'rd.
Expect batch shipping ready sometime in June.

I'm also repainting my house, did two sides last year, now the other two  ::)

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

kerryg

Well, this is just epic - you've invented a box that solves all sorts of problems for me. I've been struggling along on a parallel track working on a related box for a Peavey Midibase which I'm modifying to get rid of its clunky old "splitter box" and this would solve every one of my needs - except one.

So here's a strange question. I have this instrument that will now need to be powered using the unused pins of the conventional 5-pin DIN IN connector, and it's going to need more power. What's the highest powered adapter I could safely run the MIDIX with? Could it handle an 8.4v/1.5A (Sony Camcorder) power supply? And would it be fairly easy to modify to do so (I've got access to a good tech)? I'm an electronics noob but I imagine its fundamentally bridging from the "power in" to the desired pin of MIDI IN internally but is there much more to it than that?

I'd probably want to put in a switch with a BIG BRIGHT LED too so I don't accidentally cook anything else I plug in ;)

CodeSmart

Quote from: kerryg on May 23, 2017, 11:20:35 AM
What's the highest powered adapter I could safely run the MIDX with?

The unit can deliver a current up to 1.0 Amp (7805 regulator)  assuming the power supply
(pedal board adapter or Mini USB adapter) is rated at that level or higher.

There is a unsoldered two pin connector called "P3" (just holes) near the Mini USB connector with just this regulated high power 5V (1A max) and GND you can use.
On MIDI OUT pin 1,3 is unused.
On MIDI IN pin 1,2,3 is unused.
You may solder a wire on the underside.

Note: Dismounting a MIDX-20 may make the LED's fall out of sockets and it's a bit difficult.
(On latest enclosures I've made the LED holes 0.3 mm bigger not for the LED's to get squeezed in the enclosure holes and also changed the CTRL jack board to make disassembly easier).

If you damage the thing there's no warranty.
Good luck.
/Robert

CodeSmart

Just finished the MIDX-20 Assistant V2 manual, explaining all old an new configuration features.
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_AssistantV2.pdf

...and the new MIDX-20 Katana Bridge V2 manual (with sneaky amps and effects in red).
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_KatanaV2.pdf

Now need to revise the MIDX-20 also :P

The stuff is working good. I'll post the new firmware soon. Batch of new MIDX-20 is not ready yet. Waiting for other guys.
Just got two more things I might do and that's Tap Tempo for MustangV2 and a possibility to select GK-SET for GR-55, GP-10 and VG-99 using CC#127 (0..n).

vtgearhead

It's amazing how much coding can get done if one foresakes sleep :-).  Great work, Robert!

CodeSmart

MIDX-20 Comparison chart / Feature list

Firmware versionV1.xV2.x
MIDI TRAFFIC      
Boss/Roland USB compatibilityYesYes
Four different MIDI routing modesYesYes
MIDI THRU/MERGEYesYes
MIDI Channel translators (virtual channels)-Yes
MIDI Data duplication to other channel-Yes
MIDI Filters (remove unwanted traffic)-Yes
CC# Translations (channel and/or CC#)-Yes
CC# Duplications (channel and/or CC#)-Yes
CC# Value operations (Lin-Log,Log-Lin,Reverse,Toggle)-Yes
CC# Removal-Yes
MIDI OUT Delay (0ms, 3ms, 5ms, 7ms)-Yes
BRIDGES      
Fender Mustang V2 MIDI Bridge YesYes
Fender Mustang V2 MIDI Bridge Tap Tempo(Delay only) -Yes
Boss Katana MIDI Bridge (with 'Sneaky' amps and effects)-Yes
CONTROL JACKS         
Exp. pedal Curve adjustment (6 different types)-Yes
Exp. pedal Heel calibration-Yes
Foot switch CC# Toggling modeYesYes
Foot switch CC# Momentary modeYesYes
Foot switch Fixed PC# modeYesYes
Foot switch PC# Increment modeYesYes
Foot switch PC# Decrement modeYesYes
Foot switch START, STOP, CONTINUEYesYes
Foot switch Custom MIDI momentary modeYesYes
Foot switch Custom MIDI toggling mode-Yes
Number of Custom MIDI bytes2411
Foot switch CC# Value Increment-Yes
Foot switch CC# Value Decrement-Yes
Foot switch PC# Incr./Decr. Min & Max Range-Yes
Foot switch CC#  Incr./Decr. Min & Max Range-Yes
Foot switch Incr./Decr. auto-repatYesYes
Foot switch polarity inverterYesYes
SYSTEM      
Field upgradable firmware using MIDI based BootloaderYesYes

(Hardware: 16-bit Microchip Microcontroller (2 pcs) each with 64K Program memory, 8K RAM running at 16MHz)

Note: June 1'st : Added Mustang bridge tap tempo (CC#14) for Delay only.