iPad Pro, GP-10/GK-3, Midx-20 - Audio and Midi routing with iConnectmidi4+?

Started by ReniPerez, June 25, 2017, 02:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReniPerez

Hello,
I've been working on a setup for live playing that involves the use of my Steinberger Spirit fitted with a GK-3 pickup going into a GP-10 and an iPad Pro 9.7" and controlled by a Keith McMillen Softstep and possibly also a Livid Guitar Wing.  The Spirit's guitar out goes into the GK-3, the GK-3 cable goes to the GP-10, and the GP-10 left and right outputs feed to a PA while the GP-10's unprocessed direct guitar out goes into an iRig Pro into an iPad Pro using Yonac's Tonestack app and then the iPad Pro headphone output feeds into the Aux In of the GP-10.  This gives me my GP-10 and Tonestack combined sound coming out of the GP-10 outputs.  For volume balance, I adjust the iPad headphone volume or the GP-10 output level.

For midi control, I have a Softstep foot controller going into the upper USB port in a Primova MIDX-20 and the lower USB port connects to the GP-10.  The DIN midi out of the MIDX-20 goes into the DIN midi in port of the iRig Pro.  The program set in the Softstep thus allows me to change programs on the GP-10 and Tonestack.

This is all powered by an Intocircuit Power Monster 32000mAH power bank.  So far so good but I'm looking for just a bit more flexibility with the audio and midi and could use some advice.

In order to add the Livid Guitar Wing for additional midi control, I'd need another USB midi in for the GP-10 and iPad but there are none left on the MIDX-20 and powered USB hubs don't currently work on the MIDX-20 so that's not an option for expanding the number of ports.  I'd also like the option to send the processed left/right outputs of the GP-10 into the iPad Pro for use with altered tunings in conjunction with some of the cool sounds in Tonestack and perhaps eventually Bias FX.

I recently bought a used iConnectAudio4+ from BH Photo/Video to see if I could use the 4 audio inputs to merge my GP-10 outputs and direct out with more flexibility and I also connected the DIN midi out of the MIDX-20 into the DIN midi in on the Audio4+ so that my Softstep can program change the iPad now connected to one of the Audio4+'s two USB device ports.  I also added a Windows PC to the other device port for laughs but don't plan on using it in a live environment. I also connected a USB hub into the Audio4+ hub port which has a midi keyboard and Guitar Wing receiver.

There are some issues with this as I can't get the Guitar Wing receiver to be recognized right now and I have to feed back a DIN midi out from the Audio4+ into the MIDX-20's remaining DIN midi in so that I can use midi devices in the Audio4+ to control the GP-10 but perhaps the biggest issue for me is that the Audio4+ audio seems noisier than what the GP-10/iRig Pro setup provided me.

I've read on the VGuitar forums that the noise and gain issue with the Audio4+ is a known issue and that it seems to be an issue in general with devices that supply power to IOS devices.

So now I ask if anyone might know a better solution to this.  I am considering buying an iConnectMIDI4+ in place of the Audio4+ and use it in conjunction with a USB audio interface such as a Focusrite 6i6 or 18i8 or a Behringer 404UMC404HD that works via USB with the Apple USB adapter.  I want to get at least 4 inputs from an audio interface.  I like the flexibility that the Midi4+ seems to offer with multiple midi ports and the ability to still send audio and midi between iPad and PC.  If I could combine that routing flexibility with a better quality audio interface, I think that might be ideal.  Though, I started out with this as a live setup without a PC, having had the Audio4+ in the mix with a PC, I'd like to see if it would be possible to get the best of both worlds where when I want to integrate my GP-10/iPad performance setup with Ableton Live on my PC, I can just plug the PC into the Midi4+ port but still keep my current audio interface for the PC in use.

Any ideas?

Vaultnaemsae

I could never find a better solution than the iConnectAudio4+. It just tied everything together. But, as you well know, it's not ultra compact, requires 12V, is sometimes noisy, and the iOS apps for the interface are pretty unreliable.

I always wished that there was a GP-10 USB audio driver for iOS.

OP, Did you ever have any luck with changing/combining interfaces?
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae