QuiccoSound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI Controller

Started by Elantric, May 08, 2014, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteYou have to use Quicco's Piano Jukebox app to do the update.

This info is new to me! (thanks)

QuiccoSound Piano Jukebox
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/piano-jukebox/id997376600?mt=8
load apps.
Description
Piano Jukebox is a MIDI player app of classical piano songs.
It will change a digital piano to a "Jukebox" of piano songs in your living room.
QUICCO SOUND's Bluetooth MIDI Interface "mi.1" is required to use this app.
mi.1's firmware will be updated by using this app.

- Includes more than 300 classical piano midi files
- Plays SMF(Standard Midi File) format 0
- Possible to add user's SMF files by using iTunes
- Volume control available
- mi.1's firmware update to v2.2.1/v3.2.1

Sophisticated graphic design are developed in collaboration with Monstars Inc.
The all of piano MIDI files from Classical Piano Midi Page (Bernd Krueger, http://www.piano-midi.de/).

[Firmware v2.2.1]
- Fixed a bug of MIDI error when mi.1 receives bunch of MIDI data from MIDI port
- Fixed a bug that mi.1 stops advertising in a few minutes
- Improved the latency from MIDI to Bluetooth LE MIDI

[Firmware v3.2.1 (for Rev.3 hardware only in EU countries)]
- Fixed minor bugs

aure

This new Piano Jukebox is actually really nice.  It upgraded my firmware from 2.0.0 to 2.2.1 but it doesn't seem to want to upgrade it beyond that.  But, I'm skeptical about the 3.2.1. version upgrade anyway, how/why would it jump to that number, 2.3 or even 3.0, but 3.2.1 just seems more like a typo.

Elantric

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/piano-jukebox/id997376600?mt=8
[Firmware v3.2.1 (for Rev.3 hardware only in EU countries)]

This is typical for modern wireless devices - they have different "Rev.3" hardware available only in Europe  - to support the different RF spectrum available there

aure

Oh I see, just a parallel version for slightly different hardware, most likely. okay, fair enough.  Most import is how well this works.

whippinpost91850

I just tried to send pc's to my Kemper wirelessly with my iPad using Quicco Sound Mi-1 and it no worky. ??? Works fine with a midi cable to Kemper .

Any thoughts. I tried the Mi-1 as it came and after the update

whippinpost91850

Figured it out MIDI pass through must be turned on in Set List Manager ;D

Awesome to be able to set up initial Kemper and Gr55 patches for each song. No more hunting and rap dancing trying to remamber all te patches, YEAH!!!!!

whippinpost91850

Anyone using the Mi-1.
For some reason in a couple of instances I could not get SetList Manager to connect to it. It found it ,but would not connect  ???
I have it plugged into my Kemper to send initial PC to my Kemper and Gr55 on a per  song basis with setlist manager.

Elantric

whippinpost91850

I updated it when I got it a month ago. How do you tell which software version you have?

Elantric

QuoteMost import is how well this works.

FWIW - the QuiccoSound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI adapter is a crucial part of custom ATG Internal kits, to provide wireless editing and selection of ATG Guitar settings with iPad   

whippinpost91850

I'm not at home and near my gear.  Is there a on/off power switch on the Mi-1

Elantric

No power switch

be sure the Quiccosound mi.1 MIDI connector with the label and LED is always connected to the MIDI OUT jack on the gear under control.

read the thread from the top
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11231

whippinpost91850

Thanks, I was just rereading the rather confusing update instructions on it said turn off the power to the Mi-1. Other then unplugging it I could not figure how to turn off the power to it ???

Elantric

You would power cycle the host device ( i.e kemper in your case)

whippinpost91850

Thanks I'll try that approach when I get home from work. Maybe the way I did it before It didn't actually upgrade and doesn't appear to be a way to check the software

Elantric

Updated site
http://quicco.co.jp/

--

Introducing mi.1

mi.1 wirelessly connects MIDI devices to iPhone and iPad.
Simply connect the mi.1 to your digital piano's MIDI ports.
The mi.1 interfaces directly to your iOS CoreMIDI applications.

Apple Bluetooth LE MIDI Compatibility

mi.1 supports Apple's Bluetooth LE MIDI protocol with iOS9. This makes it possible to connect directly to apps such as GarageBand.

No power adapter necessary

The ultra-low energy design of the mi.1 enables it to be powered by the small amount of current coming from the MIDI input and output ports. No power adapter or battery are necessary.

Compact & Long Lasting

The mi.1 is designed for a lifetime of use. Molded from a composite material the design insures longevity. The small footprint provides flexibility in placing your instrument wherever you like.

Low Latency

The latency is comparable to a wired connection using "Camera Connection Kit" on iOS8.

Specification

Product Name   Wireless MIDI Interface
Wireless technology   Bluetooth Low Energy
Bluetooth LE MIDI Profile   Apple Bluetooth LE MIDI (iOS 9)
Connectors   1 x MIDI IN (5pin-DIN)
1 x MIDI OUT (5pin-DIN)
Switch、Indicator   1 x Hall element Switch
1 x Magnet
1 x white LED
Power Supply   From MIDI Out 3.3V-5.0V
Compatible iOS devices   iPad (3rd, 4th), iPad Air2, iPad mini, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3,
iPhone(4s,5,5s, 6, 6plus, 6s, 6splus) iPod touch (5th, 6th)
Compatible OS   iOS8, iOS9, OSX (Yosemite, El Captain)
Firmware Update   On the air by using Piano Jukebox
iOS Apps for mi.1   mi.1 connect : bridges mi.1 and Core MIDI music apps
Piano JukeBox : Simple SMF player, firmware updater
Power consumption   7 mW (when MIDI OUT is 3.3 V)
25 mW (when MIDI OUT is 5 V)

whippinpost91850

I saw the new site the other day way cleaner. I redid the update on my Mi-1 and I think I did it correct this time. I'll know Wednesday if it finally connects to my iPad at rehearsal. It works everywhere else

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Elantric on March 24, 2016, 03:03:13 PM

FWIW - the QuiccoSound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI adapter is a crucial part of custom ATG Internal kits, to provide wireless editing and selection of ATG Guitar settings with iPad   

Has anyone successfully connected an ATG guitar this way?  I've tried with my Peavey AT-200, but I can't even get the LED on the mi.1 to light up.  I also tried the interface box instead of the adapter cable, but no luck there either.

A number of other devices I tried failed to power up the mi.1: iConnectMIDI4+ and Novation Impulse 25.

The mi.1 seems to work fine plugged into my Mac via an M-Audio Uno.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

GuitarBuilder

My initial observation is that the mi.1 must be demanding a lot of current.  I don't have a convenient way of measuring the draw at this time.

Yes, clearly the internal ATG or AT-200 cannot supply enough; the odd thing is that the AT-200B Breakout box (which I also tried) would not light up the mi.1 LED either!  I plan on opening the box up and checking the wiring for MIDI OUT.

Elantric

Yes, clearly the internal ATG or AT-200 cannot supply enough; the odd thing is that the AT-200B Breakout box (which I also tried) would not light up the mi.1 LED either!  I plan on opening the box up and checking the wiring for MIDI OUT.

You have identified the issue

Quiccosound mi.1. works with ATG-1 floor unit

However the AT-200 or ATG Internal kit will require a modification to supply more current to the mi.1
Here are the AT200 / ATG Internal Luthier 8 pin DIN signals

ATG DIN 8 Pinout
-------------------
ATG DIN Pin1  = MIDI OUT+
ATG DIN Pin2  = GROUND
ATG DIN Pin3  = MIDI OUT-
ATG DIN Pin4  = MIDI IN+
ATG DIN Pin5  = MIDI IN-
ATG DIN Pin6  = Input for External Voltage (+9VDC)
ATG DIN Pin7  = Input for External Voltage Ground Reference
ATG DIN Pin8  = spare( not connected)

Observe Pin #8 is a spare (N.C)

The "hack" involves a modification to the MIDI OUT+ to the mi.1, to supply +5VDC with sufficient current for the mi.1

Now examine the typical MIDI Hardware Interface below (that has existed essentially unchanged for 30 years)

The mi.1 gets it power from pin # 4 (MIDI OUT+) of the typical 5 pin DIN MIDI Output from the connected device.

Observe the 220 ohm resistor on the lower right which is connected to +5VDC

This is the area where the internal ATG kit required a modification to supply +5VDC to the mi.1

Review the ATG FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16061.0

The AT200 / ATG Internal kit relies upon an external box to convert the ATG 8 pin DIN to 5pin DIN MIDI  I/O

http://stagecue.com/at200b.html

This shows the AT200-B box circuit - ( yes its confusing due to the indicated IK iRigMIDI integration  - try to ignore that as its not needed for our purpose) 

Solution is obtain a new source for delivering +5VDC with sufficient current for the mi.1

It's not plug & play- requires hacking

Here is a custom adapter for debugging

GuitarBuilder

Opened up the AT-200B breakout box today; pin 4 on MIDI out does not provide any power!

Elantric

QuoteOpened up the AT-200B breakout box today; pin 4 on MIDI out does not provide any power!

Then Address that

All i know is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11231.msg127213#msg127213

GuitarBuilder

Already constructed an "adapter cord" for MIDI power.  In the process of testing (had to stop to barbeque dinner), will report back with pics when done.

admin

GuitarBuilder- any progress on your mi.1 to ATG adapter?