Katana editing with IOS

Started by Idgolfguy, July 02, 2017, 07:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Very few of these remote iPad editors provide bidirectional data on the -Roland processors because of the huge amount of data involved

back in the old days there was a GR 55 editor on iPad and that one never had  bi directional data transfer either Due to the sheer huge amount of data involved
QuoteThis should clarify what I am looking for:
For example I have 4 preset's stored in the Katana all with different EQ and limiter settings...when I recall those presets I am looking for the iOS editor to get those settings as a starting point if I need to make further adjustments.

Do the pre gig prep

1 ) Sync both iPad and Katana at home ( requres some local offline data storage in ipad )

2) at gig , perform the edits from the ipad , and save the Amp CH # patch  prior to changing to another patch   

Might review Condors Katana Editor   - just to explore how Condor is accomplishing remote Katana Editing
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20234.0

re read what Gumtown wrote>
QuoteEach Katana patch has around 750 parameters, each parameter can have ranges from 2 to 2000,
off the top of my recollection, there are nearly 100 different range scales in the Katana parameter set.
Well beyond the capabilities of a microcontroller.
The memory space of the IOS device will need to handle the data acquisition from the sysx to cc# conversion if you want to go that route.

Idgolfguy

Thanks mate, have been looking at Condor's work and have it running to model off.
It's slow going on my part due to work and family stuff... like everyone else.

I think I'm making good headway.
I have the Boost/Mod selector and Sneaky Amps working using CC# that Robert has programmed. I can send. Channel changes via SysEx and PC without having to change the mode of the Midx-20.

Midi Designer Pro will save patches and send them - depends on lag etc. Still to test.

I can replicate the GAFC functionality plus a little more at this stage.

alancarl

Quote from: admsustainiac on July 10, 2017, 08:15:52 AM
Very few of these remote iPad editors provide bidirectional data on the -Roland processors because of the huge amount of data involved

back in the old days there was a GR 55 editor on iPad and that one never had  bi directional data transfer either Due to the sheer huge amount of data involved

Do the pre gig prep

1 ) Sync both iPad and Katana at home ( requres some local offline data storage in ipad )

2) at gig , perform the edits from the ipad , and save the Amp CH # patch  prior to changing to another patch   

Might review Condors Katana Editor   - just to explore how Condor is accomplishing remote Katana Editing
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20234.0

re read what Gumtown wrote>

Ok I'm down with the gig prep...

1.What are we syncing at home?
2. I have been saving the CH# patches on the Katana

Gumtown finished his thoughtful reply with this statement:
The memory space of the IOS device will need to handle the data acquisition from the sysx to cc# conversion if you want to go that route.

This sounds to me like it's possible for someone that knows how to code for the iOS?

I guess its not clear right away why I am inquiring about this but in my professional experience a two-way editing controller facility is the most useful and straightforward way to fine-tune our crucial tones!

For comparison the free iOS editor for the Eventide H9 is very useful in tweaking the effects just right. Now of course it's Eventide that has born the development costs but if this is possible with the Katana and an iOS controller then why not shoot for the sky?

Thanks,
AL

Scatabrain

I would think a live sync'd editor would not be practical as the app would not benefit from being developed with the amp. You would have to read a large amount of data too rapidly and then reconcile changes made on either since last sync.

If you develop them together, you can have the amp notify the app about changes in real time and vice versa.

I would just have a Read button and let the user decide to update the app with changes on the amp. Edits on app would know what changed and send them to the amp in real time.

What are you deveoping with?  Xcode?  I have too many projects already but would be loving to help tackle this challenge.  My approach ideally would not rely on any other hardware. For $30 you can get a beaglebone going with a midi bridge and vtg'd addition to store patches and recall them using CCs with any midi controller.  It works really well. 

Anyway, your project is intriguing. Wish I had time to help. I'll keep following here with great interest.

Idgolfguy

I'm not a developer just technical - started reading up on this and already had the Midx-20.

Like many of us, I have a lot of kit lying about the place. I like the iPad as I have it at gigs with me.

Whether it be RPi, Beaglebone, Midx-20 there are bridge options. I'm using MDP as the generic midi platform to learn midi and sys ex with a view to building a native app down the track.

Have begun learning about Xamarin and C#...

Idgolfguy

As an aside, I already can use Robert's Midx-20 and my Zoom g92.tt as a foot controller. Many of the onboard switches are assignable.

Beanow

My work might be able to help if someone is planning to build a new iOS app for this.
There's not a lot in it yet, but I'm working on a library in golang here. https://github.com/katana-dev/lib-katana
This is exactly the kind of usecase I'm building it for.

It will provide, tons of parameter mappings, sysex parsing, scaling functions and abstractions to keep local patch data to sync to/from.
And from a more advanced standpoint I'd like to provide architectures and optimizations to do these things very efficiently.
For example https://github.com/katana-dev/lib-katana/issues/9 to do the real-time sync in a clean way.

However the platform and app specific things you will need to handle yourself.
File I/O, setting up the raw MIDI connection and connecting it all to a UI.
(Most of this will be in libraries too though, just not this one.)

Although I have 0 iOS app experience and don't plan on becoming proficient at it, I'll be happy to work with anyone picking up this project to flesh out the library, explain the API and share what I know from researching the Katana.
Also, PM me your github account and you can join the https://github.com/katana-dev/ team to have your own repositories alongside mine if you want.

admin

If you already have the MIDX-20 , then use a Apple USB Camera adapter and UM-One To connect to 5pin I/O on MIDX-20 and use IOS MIDI DESIGNER app to build your Katana Controller /Editor

https://mididesigner.com/qa/

alancarl

Thanks Beanow!
I wish I could help with the coding as I see that you have the concept envisioned:-)
I currently use the setup that Adminsus suggested and it does work. Midi Designer has proven to be very useful indeed for my projects.
However in the suggested setup the MIDX 20's built in CC to Katana SYSEX conversion cannot provide a way to read parameter values into MD from the Katana so the editing is not as useful as I need.

I have also found the handling of larger data dumps into MD to be flakey... I don't think this was what it was intended for anyway but it is an excellent MIDI controller design application!

Anyway thanks Beanow!
peace,
Al

Beanow

Yeah I pretty much have everything in place to work on it.  Just need to sit down and do it.
Frankly what I need most is some motivators.

There isn't much palpable excitement for, plans for a library that *can* make it into the plans for an app that isn't built yet. Y'know? :P

Apple has been on my boycott list for years though, hence I won't be building iOS apps.
But if someone else will pick up the iOS side of things that'd be a prompt reason for me to put some more effort into the library.

Alternatively, Condor hasn't been around for a number of months, I wish he made his project open-source as he now seems busy with other things and there's no way to contribute to his efforts. I'm considering creating an open-source android editor from scratch and use lib-katana as it's engine. Still it'd be much more fun to develop together with other folks than to do it all myself.