Katana- Firmware ROM differences and similarities

Started by gumtown, May 29, 2017, 08:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

I have been comparing the Firmware ROM files between the Katana 1.02 and the GT-001 1.10 in a hex editor.
The last sections with 200 GT Preset patches are identical,
although I can not reverse engineer the assembly code, it is placed in the same memory sections, the ROM files are exactly the same size.
The GT-001 seems to have more code, so I am assuming that one section of the code handles the hardware features (panel knobs), one part does the DSP functions, one part does the midi/patch structure.

Now the Katana has 4 channel buttons, and the GT-001 has 4 favourite patch buttons... hmmm. I wonder...

Evil thoughts run through my head as to what would happen if I were to load the Katana firmware into my GT-001, and see what happens.

I would have already tried it, but I seem to have misplaced my PSA 9volt adapter.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stevesilk51

Quote from: gumtown on May 29, 2017, 08:48:21 PM
I have been comparing the Firmware ROM files between the Katana 1.02 and the GT-001 1.10 in a hex editor.
The last sections with 200 GT Preset patches are identical,
although I can not reverse engineer the assembly code, it is placed in the same memory sections, the ROM files are exactly the same size.
The GT-001 seems to have more code, so I am assuming that one section of the code handles the hardware features (panel knobs), one part does the DSP functions, one part does the midi/patch structure.

Now the Katana has 4 channel buttons, and the GT-001 has 4 favourite patch buttons... hmmm. I wonder...

Evil thoughts run through my head as to what would happen if I were to load the Katana firmware into my GT-001, and see what happens.

I would have already tried it, but I seem to have misplaced my PSA 9volt adapter.

Admire your gung ho approach Colin!  :o

Hope it works and gives you useful info .

Smash

Gumtown - Colin - Man machine!! I've not had a chance to use any of your amazing freely given software solutions - largely because I don't own any of the gear they relate to! Irrespective, what you do for the community in your own time amazes me. Based on the chances that at some point I will own something you "hack" in a typically useful fashion I pinged a small (don't book a restaurant table just yet - $15!) Paypal donation your way just because. :) Love it!

Beanow

Really curious to hear what more turns up here! :D
Not removing 200 patches that we have no way of loading does reaffirm something about their resources and priorities.
I'm curious though how they've encoded these in their firmware. It might be useful for making a binary patch format for 3rd party software.