Katana - Could wireless PC Keyboard be made to work to switch channels?

Started by stevesilk51, May 14, 2017, 02:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevesilk51

Now, firstly I apologise if my lack of techy knowledge makes this seem ridiculous, but I was messing around using my wireless PC Keyboard to see what key presses would do in BTS, and it struck me that if I'm able to change channels by using the up/down arrows on the keyboard, could a keyboard be taken apart and wired with footswitches that would trigger the channel changes (and possibly other parameters)?

I certainly don't have the expertise to know if it would/could work, but at least by posting this my curiosity will be answered/shot down/laughed at ;D ::) etc.  :)

Thanks

Steve

gumtown

It is possible, but you still end up with a keyboard sized circuit board, you can solder wires + foot switches across the required keyboard switches.
A bit of mucking around, where you are still tethered to a windows PC, you might as well get a USB midi foot controller.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Beanow

Sure, why not. Like gumtown I'm not sure it's worth it vs existing USB options.
But on top of that I would personally never trust a retrofitted BTS to work reliably in a live setup.
Relying on some adobe air stuff that barely even manages to install itself for your gigs... way too ghetto for me. You're better off with 3rd party software made specifically for patch switching.

stevesilk51

Thanks for the replies guys, it was just a random thought I had that could possibly help home/bedroom users struggling to find GA-FCs to have a foot operated way to change patches.      I was lucky to get a GA-FC early on.

I have a Line 6 FBV Shortboard USB controller as I've mentioned in previous threads but it has issues when trying to change patches e.g. skipping some.

What would you regard as a good, smallish USB FC ?