Katana Mk1 - Gumtown's Katana FxFloorBoard Editor

Started by Elantric, April 07, 2017, 02:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meesha

also didn't tried it yet, but curious while have no time to test it.. will floorboard change an amp/amps in panel ch? and will it reamain after on/off katana and switching amps in panel mode?

gumtown

So far all the numbers align up with the GT-100/001/1 specs.

The only hole I see is for the panel patch, if the panel settings can be saved, then they should be at 10 00.

With the editor the first 5 User patches and first 5 Preset patches have the same address ranges as below
10 00 - Panel patch
10 01 - CH 1 patch
10 02 - CH 2 patch
10 03 - CH 3 patch
10 04 - CH 4 patch

20 00 - Panel factory Preset patch
20 01 - CH 1 factory Preset patch
20 02 - CH 2 factory Preset patch
20 03 - CH 3 factory Preset patch
20 04 - CH 4 factory Preset patch

60 00 - Panel/temporary patch (unsaved current settings or current loaded patch) - is what you are hearing.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Another daily update,
version 20170412

the included readme file describes the feature changes,
this latest will hopefully read in the patches into the "patch tree"  and Katana patches can be loaded into the editor.
Started relabeling the effects to match the Katana's.

Still yet to find out which effects work and if any in the "B chain" work, and if the Assigns work, and also the pedal functions.

The next thing I am after is an image of the system data, pressing the editor "System" or ?Midi" buttons will make a system data request,
if a midi monitoring software is used to read in the Katana data, a system image can be collected.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Meesha

doesn't looks like it's possible to write other amps to panel from what i tried...
anyway nice to have ability to do it in channels ..
if you need any help with tests on my kat50, gumtown - just lemme no )
i'm not any sort of coder/hacker though - can not understand what that rows of digits you discussed mean at all, but i can follow detailed descriptions.

gumtown

1.) To test the B chain effects, from the top left blue channel divider, try selecting channel B and see if any channel B amp settings do anything.

2.) do the assigns work, from assign 1 (ensure channel setting back to channel A) select Target as "Preamp A Level", source as "wave pedal",
     source mode as "moment". minimum as "0" and maximum as "100", and enable the assign "on".
The preamp level should cycle up and down as you play.

3.) does the independent chain do anything? drag and drop any of the top row (channel A) effects stompboxes to a different position and note any changer in sound.

4.) do any of the channel B effects work if dragged and dropped into the Channel A part of the chain?

5.) Under the "Master" button, does the patch master EQ do anything? tweak the mid gain up and down.

6.) under the "System" button, choose the "Output and Global EQ" tab and see if the global EQ or output select settings make any tonal differences.

7.) when the editor first connects with the Katana, does the connect button stay lit green, and does the "patch tree" list populate the 4 channel  patch names.?

Meesha

1) no any sound from ch b, only a goes
2) no any changes in sound of preamp a
3) chain is fully functioning and even allows for restricted moves like put the amp after all fx chain... all chain changes work as with real pedals - say od before amp sounds better than after it ... ( my fav is now to put noize suprssr first in chain) if i got it right - i can even activate more than 2fx + reverb
4) no chanel b
5) doesn't work anything here
6) system push gives a pop up window "boss katana system data wasn't transfered!"
7) nope.. i have to push it to connect... i have k50 (2ch)... have no idea - here how does it look
https://gyazo.com/935bb358a4848023c370d72b9862a0d7

johnnyninja

I need to update my old Windows laptop and I'm wondering if there are any screen resolution restrictions with the editor. I'm looking to get the cheapest laptop I can just to run this software with the Katana. Also, would touchscreen work with it?

Meesha

not a coder, but i don't think app has something to do with mouse api - is it mouse, touchpad or touch screen... all work on windows driver level and i think no problems in app with it...
1600 screen by big side would be ok also i guess

Beanow

Quote from: gumtown on April 12, 2017, 04:02:46 AM
1.) To test the B chain effects, ...
6.) under the "System" button, ...

I've just put out a document of my recent work that answers most of these question.
A full map of what I know about Katana patches compared to the GT-100 documentation.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20676.0
https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/tables/patch-capabilities.md

Beanow

Quote from: johnnyninja on April 12, 2017, 06:46:25 AM
Are any screen resolution restrictions with the editor.
Also, would touchscreen work with it?

The window is 1330x716 for me. You can collapse the sidebar though which makes it smaller. So with that in mind I think you might *just* be able to scrape by with 720p. Slightly bigger than that would be preferable I think.

Like Meesha said, the touchscreen works the same as a mouse. It should work with all applications, including this one.

admin

Like Meesha said, the touchscreen works the same as a mouse. It should work with all applications, including this one.

Need to point out this depends on the Operating system.

If you are using Windows 7 32 on an old touchscreen PC - the touch screen control of the GUI editor app  may not work.

I ran across this 6 years ago when I first got my GR-55 and tried to use Gumtowns GR-55 Floorboard editor app - and it would not work

This changed with Windows 8 and newer OS versions

On modern touchscreen windows computers running Win8, Win 8.1, Win 10)  -  all work with all apps just like a mouse. 

Beanow

Quote from: gumtown on April 12, 2017, 04:02:46 AM
7.) when the editor first connects with the Katana, does the connect button stay lit green, and does the "patch tree" list populate the 4 channel  patch names.?

This time around I can connect, it stays green.
U01-04 show up in Patch.
Single click changes to the correct tone.
Double click loads the patch correctly.

Trying to load from the Preset section gives a "Patch data transfer failed" error.
Single clicks on the presets also changes the tone to CH1-4 or Panel. I would disable this as it's not going to be the factory preset tone you'll hear. And since they are skewed. i.e. P01 "KNOB PANEL" goes to CH1. P03 "Katana CH2" goes to CH3. Etc.

Beanow

Ah let me correct. Loading works but they are also offset by 1.

Single click on U03 changes to CH3 on the Katana.
Double clicking U03 loads up CH4 patch.

theMinion

I downloaded the most recent experimental build for Mac but got this message:

"Check with the developer to make sure KATANAFxFloorBoard works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X."

The April 9th build for Mac loads up without issue on my Macbook Pro running OS X 10.11.6.

Amazing and fascinating work by the way!

CodeSmart

I was not able to connect to Kat Head using USB cable and Win10. Showed message about no Katana. Tried today with current version on Gummies page. Tried all of KATANA, KATANA CTRL etc. as MIDI IN/OUT. Katana BTS installed and working.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Idgolfguy

Quote from: Beanow on April 11, 2017, 03:55:57 AM
I would like that feature!
Unfortunately still the "it's not a Boss KATANA" error on connect.

How did you resolve this issue?

admin

FWIW - Windows 10 is very moody when it comes to installing the Boss Katana USB Driver for Win10

You are at the mercy of the state of the Microsoft Server to distribute your signed driver

some work arounds are noted here on this thread:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19476.msg141626#msg141626

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23165636/

Veritech wrote>
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23165636/

QuoteSince I'm a tech I figured it out. (how to install Roland / Boss USB Audio / MIDI Driver on Windows 10)

First, you can't go get the drivers. Stupid Windows 10, and I say that as someone who really likes Windows 10, had the Katana driver as a WINDOWS UPDATE? What the hell? So I had to run a full Windows update to get the driver. Damn. That is not so easy.

Then even after that, I couldn't get the Tone Studio to install. After clicking the .exefile it just wouldn't run. Even when I ran it as administrator. Then I realized that Tone Studio uses Adobe Air, one of the most buggy pieces of software I have even dealt with in my 20 years as a tech. Once I realized that I went to the adobe site and downloaded Adobe Air. Rean the Tone Studio .exe file and everything is good.

But who in thir right mind is going to try all that? Especially the average guitarist who this amp is designed for. All this is going in my notes for my review. Not liking the software so far. At least the installation...

----

After updating Katana Firmware - you can try to MANUALLY Install the Katana USB Audio / MIDI Driver as follows:

Install the Katana USB driver for Windows 10 manually
Depending on the Internet connectivity, the driver may not be installed automatically.
If this is the case, follow the procedure below to install the driver.

1 ) Turn on the power of KATANA and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.

2 ) Right-click the start button and then click "Device Manager".

3 ) In the View menu, click "Devices by type".

4 ) Click "Sound, video and game controllers" or "Other devices" to display the KATANA device.

5 ) When the KATANA device appears, right-click it, and then select "Update Driver Software".

6 ) Select "Search automatically for updated driver software".
Your PC starts searching for the driver, and the driver is installed automatically. ( this could take minutes, hours, days)

7 ) The installation is completed if you see the "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" pop up message is displayed. Click "Close".

8 )  If the "System Settings Change" dialog box appears, click [Yes] to restart Windows.

QuoteInstall the driver manually
Depending on the Internet connectivity, the driver may not be installed automatically.
If this is the case, follow the procedure below to install the driver.
Turn on the power of KATANA and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.
Right-click the start button and then click "Device Manager".
In the View menu, click "Devices by type".
Click "Sound, video and game controllers" or "Other devices" to display the KATANA device.
When the KATANA device appears, right-click it, and then select "Update Driver Software".
Select "Search automatically for updated driver software".
Your PC starts searching for the driver, and the driver is installed automatically.
The installation is completed if the "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" message is displayed. Click "Close".

If the "System Settings Change" dialog box appears, click [Yes] to restart Windows.

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

fificap

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 12, 2017, 03:02:36 PM
But as said, BTS works ok....

Hi,

Same situation for me in win 10 with version 20170412. BTS works, FxFloorBoard works perfectly for sending parameters to my katana head without "connect" engaged; but "connect" give an error saying it's not a katana connected ! So no extract from the katana to the FxFloorBoard yet.

As it works with BTS and partialy with FxFloorBoard for sendind parameters to the katana head, i suppose the usb driver is fine.

By the way the software is already very usefull to test sneaky amp and fx, thanks for that !

Philippe

stevesilk51

Firstly, I am a numbskull when is comes to midi/sysex etc etc. Howver I am tenacious and will play around for hours if I think I can get something!

With that in mind I was desperate to be able to use the Katana FxFloorboard Editor with my K100 1x12, even though I do not have a GT100.

So I installed everything (Win10 64 bit) Selected Katana as Midi In and out. Pressed connect, - nothing.

Messed around for a while with other midi ins and outs, still nothing, then noticed the deBug mode check box in the FxFloorboard Prefs. Ticked it,
clicked connect - SUCCESS! Surprised the hell out of me! (read first line of this post)

So right now I am working my way through it seeing what works and what doesn't. Started with trying to get custom amp with TerraEcho - oh yes.

Thankyou, thankyou , thankyou to all the devs for what they do for us.

Edit:  ALL effects in FX1 and FX2 working.
        Comp not working, but does if selected as an FX1 or FX2
        Similarly Equalizer not working but will in FX1 and FX2

Beanow

Quote from: stevesilk51 on April 13, 2017, 03:47:15 AM
So right now I am working my way through it seeing what works and what doesn't. Started with trying to get custom amp with TerraEcho - oh yes.
Edit:  ALL effects in FX1 and FX2 working.
        Comp not working, but does if selected as an FX1 or FX2
        Similarly Equalizer not working but will in FX1 and FX2

A lot of this I've already documented here https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/tables/patch-capabilities.md#sysex-patch-blocks

Indeed there are technical details too, but rows like "Compressor - Forced OFF" and "EQ - Forced OFF" will confirm it's not a bug or anything, Boss disabled this in firmware.

stevesilk51

Quote from: Beanow on April 13, 2017, 08:54:50 AM
A lot of this I've already documented here https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/tables/patch-capabilities.md#sysex-patch-blocks

Indeed there are technical details too, but rows like "Compressor - Forced OFF" and "EQ - Forced OFF" will confirm it's not a bug or anything, Boss disabled this in firmware.

Thanks Beanow, this has been flying along so fast I'm finding it difficult to keep up!! :D

Meesha

did some extreme testing today
https://gyazo.com/54c14cc24250fb7c29fd6113068c352f

all fx worked and reacted well... in floorboard...
all disappear on restart of katana/going to bts etc.
usually i just exited flrbrd and go to bts to save preset, maybe i did it wrong... but this time it didn't worked that way
upd : 4fx version of that crazy chain (no second compr that is far right and uses adv. comp and delay off) finally saved to katana by pressing ch. button and stay after on off

it's no real reason for such chain for me in real life.. but some djent guys use 2 noisegates, 2 compressors, par eq(didn't got how to operate it in both bts and fb really, did some 10b instead) boooster amp ... so that was the point of my test, as well to find out bounds with kat and app

Elantric

People always ask if the Katana Reverb knob on the amp can be re-purposed as another effect?