Katana Mk1 - Gumtown's Katana FxFloorBoard Editor

Started by Elantric, April 07, 2017, 02:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Katana FxFloorBoard for Firmware 3 is coming !!
Hopefully should be ready not long after the Firmware 3 update drops

QuoteCan someone explain to me what I gain by using the Floorboard software vs just using the Tone Studio? I've already downloaded the Sneaky Amp models and have imported those as a "liveset" into my TS. Is the floorboard software compatible with Tone Studio? Can I "write" a new amp model with unique effects and create a new .tsl file that I can use in the tone studio?

Also - which floorboard file do I download to get started?

Gumtown's Katana FX Floorboard Editor  latest version is here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/

You gain an editor software, which at this time, compared to Tone Studio, actually works.
It can do most of what Tone Studio does, plus some other not so well know features.

First you have instant access to the 29 amps available.

Ability to use more effects at the same time, where in the Katana and Tone Studio you are limited to either Booster/MOD or FX/Delay, allows you to use all those 4 effects at the same time.

A parameter settings window which lists all the Katana's current patch parameters and allows them to be saved to txt file or printed.

The ability to open and save Tone Studio *.tsl files, but wait - there's more !!
The FxFloorBoard editor can open and translate patch files from the
Boss GT-100, GT-001, GT-10, GT-10B, GT-8, GT-Pro, GT6B, and the ME-80.

There are 5 patch Clip-boards to save patches into, and either the whole patch, or just certain effect parts can be pasted into other Channels or patches.

The visual layout is in a familiar stompbox type of chain, and instead of having only the 3 Tone Studio chain orders,
FxFloorBoard allows all the effects to be re-arranged in any order, by simply drag'n'drop of the stompbox to a new chain position.

To download just select which platform you want ..

Windows
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorBoard%20for%20Desktop/Katana_FxFloorBoard_Windows-setup.exe/download

Mac OS-X
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorBoard%20for%20Desktop/Katana_FxFloorBoard_mac_installer.pkg/download

Linux Ubuntu 64
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorBoard%20for%20Desktop/Katana_FxFloorBoard_linux-64.tar.xz/download

and for Windows and Mac, don't forget to download the USB driver from the Boss site..
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19476.0

and you also get a carefully crafted bit of software which has a ominous orange glowing/pulsating Katana logo,
made by a gigging muzo who listens to what the user needs and maintains that software for years to come.

KATANAFxFloorBoard Copyright (C) 2007~2017 Colin Willcocks (gumtownbassman@yahoo.com).
 All rights reserved.
======================================================================================
====FOR EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSE only====

KATANAFxFloorBoard version 20170414: 14 April 2017
YOU MAY FREELY USE THIS SOFTWARE FOR NON-COMERCIAL USE, BUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE,
 JUST KEEP IN MIND THE 1000's of HOURS SPENT OVER 10 YEARS GETTING IT HERE,
  I WOULD LOVE A BEER !!!. :-)
***********************************************************************************

********* LATEST FEATURES ADDED****************************************************
 *version
 20170414 adjusted patch tree layout and patch request.
          Removed preamp speaker caninets as they are confirmed not usable.
          Installed system data collection from File menu 'Save System data'. send saved systen file to gumtownbassman@yahoo.com thanks.
 20170412 changed the Patch Tree layout to match the Katana patch structure, and should populate with Katana channel patches.
          Renamed some effect units to match the Katana.
 20170411 modified the system eclusive data format and tweaked the read in of patch data.
 20170408 added sysx ID for connection and fine tuned midi  I/O
 20170407 initial upload with GT-100 editor ported to send Katana format parameter data,
          experiment to see if the Katana will respond to extra parameters hidden within the system exclusive data framework
          which seems to be based on a common model of the GT-100, GT-001, GT1.

********* FIRST USE CONNECTION HINTS **************
a.) Connect the KATANA via a USB cable,
ensure the Boss usb driver software is installed..

b.) Start the FxFloorBoard program, for the Menu select Preferences/Midi and select the GT100 midi device for midi input and output.

c.) Select the editor program "Connect" button, it should stay "on" if all connections are correct.

d.) Open the Patch-Tree side panel by clicking your mouse pointer on the 'yellow arrow',
the Patch-Tree has items which will expand when you click on the

• symbols.
When the tree items expand, you will see the patch names appear as the editor requests this information from the GT100.

e.) A single mouse pointer click on the Patch-Tree name will change the GT100 to that selected patch only
- sound played through the KATANA will have the sound of that patch.

f.) A double click on the patch name will load the patch information from the GT100 into the editor,
all the patch settings will update the editor GUI.

g.) Any knob turning will change the sound of the effect being adjusted,
when the desired sound is achieved, you can either save the patch to the GT100 or save the patch to file on disk.

h.) To save the patch to the KATANA, select a location with a 'single-click' on the Patch-Tree,
then press the "write/sync" button.

****************** If there is a problem 'connecting' ensure the KATANA MIDI UNIT ID is set to "1" (factory default)
* and the midi channel is set to "1".*************************************************************************

KATANA FxFloorBoard:
NOTE: THIS IS AN UNPAID PROJECT, SO FAR INVESTING MANY 1000's HOURS OF MY TIME OVER 7 YEARS.
I am not employed by Roland, nor is Roland affiliated with the software.

I WILL NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR ANY DATA LOSS, TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK CORRECTLY.

files can be saved/loaded as syx or mid (SMF) or gcl (Librarian) formats.
the KATANAFxFloorBoard will eventually be able open GT-10 *.gxg & *.mid files, and translate GT-8 patch files (*.syx single patch type).

layout increased, which may be a problem for low screen resolutions. (i use 1366 X 782 minimum)

This project is a continuing session of evolution.........

IF YOU FIND A BUG OR HAVE SOME ISSUES......
reply email to gumtownbassman@yahoo.com

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later
version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more
details.

This software is not for sale - if you paid for it, there seller has comitted
an act of piracy and is subject to software piracy laws. For commercial use,
a commercial licence must be obtained from the software author.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass
Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

[/i]

Elantric

gumtown

It is indeed an experimental tool at this stage,
only  to see what sort of GT-100 type parameters can be sent to the Katana in a Katana format,
and persuade any hidden extended parameters hidden in the Katana firmware (which seems to be very heavily based on the GT-100).
Such as the 27 GT-100 Amp_A preamps.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Beanow

With regards to the CC messages. The bridge script definitely picks them up.

I'm using http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/ to log and route to the Katana.
[3, 1] here means, input port 3 of the bridge script. Channel 1.

Bridge MSG: [ 3,  1] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  1] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  2] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  2] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  3] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  3] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  4] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  4] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  5] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  5] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  6] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  6] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  7] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  7] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  8] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  8] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  9] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  9] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 10] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 10] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 11] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 11] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 12] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 12] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 13] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 13] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 14] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 14] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 15] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 15] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 16] Ctrl:     120   0
Bridge MSG: [ 3, 16] Ctrl:      64   0  (Sustain)
Bridge MSG: [ 3,  1] SysEx:         15  [f0 41 00 00 00 00 33 12 60 00 00 51 10 3f f7]
RAW KTN:    [ 1,  1] SysEx:         15  [f0 41 00 00 00 00 33 12 60 00 00 51 10 3f f7]
>| Katana Command #[60 00 00 51] = 10  (Amp: BG LEAD)

Maybe this was intended to silence any long running effects before switching?

Elantric

Maybe this was intended to silence any long running effects before switching?

It would be interesting if reverb / delay tails were available to be preserved on patch change.

But like most DSP  designs, its likely this mutes things prior to reloading the DSP with a new patch algorithm. 
There are typical high amplitude chirp anomaly sounds if they don't deal with this  - most older gear used a momentary transistor mute circuit on all audio outputs during power up and patch change ( VG-99, GR-55) - but that makes those impossible to be used for USB Audio backing track playback a you end up with a mute an all audio during every mid song patch change event. 

my big question

I wonder if any portion of the Control Assignment Editor  functions?

vtgearhead

Try it and see!  Worst case, you'll end up doing a reset to get back to a workable default.

Elantric

QuoteTry it and see!  Worst case, you'll end up doing a reset to get back to a workable default.

that needs to be my new default auto-reply to new posts from folks who must seek permission before they try something new 
(I suppose Ive joined their ranks via osmosis   / assimilation.)

;0 (folks sure didn't need to do that back in the 1960's)

Beanow

Overwriting with a patch from Tone Studio could solve a lot of issues with misconfiguration as well. Before you reset anything.

It's 3AM here so I'll have to test all these options later. o/

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-334#post-23890495

Jeff Volume wrote>
On the floor editor, if you push the the "PRE-A" button you get to the Amp edit page and then can select the amps directly there and access the amps controls including T-Comp .. Everything appears to be working other than the speaker typeand MIC section.. It would be awesome if this feature is able to be made to work..It would be great to be able to select speaker types for direct line out recording..
The amp model pictured is the "Custom" model.. I was able to get some killer sounds out of this one.. The character knob dose alot here!!
KUDOS the the folks developing this!!!
Note: the effects sections also are working!!

Beanow

Awesome, it's great to have people from the gear page testing out things as well.
This helps me know what to look for and what some of these things are doing sound wise.
With how fast everything is moving now on the sneaky params, I haven't always got time to move away from my MIDI debug output and the amp from standby.

As a reminder to everyone, from my How To guide.
https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/how-to/use-28-amp-types.md

Not only does storing your Sneaky Amp settings to a TONE SETTING CH1-4 work as you would expect.
Boss Tone Studio *should* also respect these settings when you drag/drop patches and allow you to create livesets with it.
(Just don't change the related parameters in Tone Studio as it will overwrite it to default settings again)

I would love to see some .tsl files being shared where people are using the sneaky stuff.

Beanow

Again, loving the work you're doing. This will probably be my main tool to explore more Sneaky params for the next couple of days.
Would like to request some quality of life improvements to the software if you have time to do these.

1. Refresh MIDI device list.

Currently if you plug in something (or run debugging tools that create virtual MIDI devices) it won't show up and I am restarting the application to find it. Something like a rescan button would be awesome. Or doing it automatically ever few seconds when the MIDI settings view is open.

2. Don't change values on hovering dropdowns

In the main floorboard window, changing any type dropdown (whether it is an effect or amp type) sends SysEx to change the value when hovering the option. This makes it cycle through a lot of settings and may produce some noise on the amp while you're doing this. Can you set these to only change when clicking the option?

3. Bundle a .tsl file from Tone Studio

This should make the pedals show up in an order that is more familiar to the Katana's signal chain.
Perhaps grab a clean tone from the Boss official ones.

4. Something is CPU hogging

It's hard to say what causes this, but both the linux and windows version are constantly taking up ~85% of my CPU.
Maybe you have some sort of loop scanning for things? If it's a loop, best would of course be switching to interrupts if possible. But otherwise try giving it a slower interval even a few ms should free up most of the CPU.

gumtown

Quote1. Refresh MIDI device list.

Currently if you plug in something (or run debugging tools that create virtual MIDI devices) it won't show up and I am restarting the application to find it. Something like a rescan button would be awesome. Or doing it automatically ever few seconds when the MIDI settings view is open.
the device list is generated each time the Preferences dialog is opened, so if you close the dialog and reopen it, any midi/USB device changes are found.

2. Don't change values on hovering dropdowns

In the main floorboard window, changing any type dropdown (whether it is an effect or amp type) sends SysEx to change the value when hovering the option. This makes it cycle through a lot of settings and may produce some noise on the amp while you're doing this. Can you set these to only change when clicking the option?
It only affects the combo-boxes on the main screen, and not the edit pages combo-boxes, it is an easy feature to change in the code.

3. Bundle a .tsl file from Tone Studio

This should make the pedals show up in an order that is more familiar to the Katana's signal chain.
Perhaps grab a clean tone from the Boss official ones.
the default GUI screen is based on a Katana patch file, the Katana contains a GT-100 18 byte chain layout as seen on the screen, and the Katana patch also contains a Katana specific 1 byte chain setting.
The Katana patch has an extra 23 or so bytes of parameters 'tacked' on the end of the file at address xx 12 00 00, none of these parameters are yet implemented in the editor, they are the Katana chain, and the panel led functions.

4. Something is CPU hogging

It's hard to say what causes this, but both the linux and windows version are constantly taking up ~85% of my CPU.
Maybe you have some sort of loop scanning for things? If it's a loop, best would of course be switching to interrupts if possible. But otherwise try giving it a slower interval even a few ms should free up most of the CPU.
The whole editor is driven by ;signals and slots' which is interrupt driven, there are no program loops, only a few wait states for the midi.
My laptop is a 3 year old i5, and with the editor and everything else running it sits at 20 to 24% CPU load.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Beanow

My bad, that is on Linux so 100% would be fully utilizing 1 of 4 cores. 400% being max. Still this is rather extreme.

The screenshots hopefully illustrate better.
The order when launching the software vs one where I loaded a .tsl file I got out of Tone Studio.

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-334

Meesha, at TGP found the TeraEcho

"prm_fx2_teraecho_mode":0,"prm_fx2_teraecho_time":50,
tsl: https://app.box.com/s/yil6vhtfyo5l16rzuc51k1gmu1knuool
katana ch1 with added terraecho resaved from btw

i'm not familiar with terra echo, but i hear while nofx when activate terra fx some ambient style echo ...have no idea if it is, but do not see any reasons it to be something else..

for guys that are too lazy to install floorboard - there are rectifier modern patches in liveset (1st one i forgot to turn off reverb, another one no fx at all)
https://app.box.com/s/h3x3dqc20eits02fv9qvotd7byzercg8

checked saving amp type to katana - editing in bts...works flawless... amp type remains, knobs dials fx can be edited and save as patch - amp stays
didn't checked chain change though...
anybody can explain what t-comp dial does in amps @ floorboard?

Quotegumtown said: ↑
Why don't you try loading GT-100 *.tsl tone studio patch's in the Katana Tone Studio?
it refuse to eat non katana patches, i tried...

[/i]

Meesha

my respect to Gumtown!!
you're all katanas owners hero now!

now katana has almost gt100 choice of tools

my "hello world" patch with one of sneaky amps - mesa rectifier modern
a simple liveset with mesa high gain on lead with two patches (reverb and no fx)
works beautiful with any additions/edits in bts, my fav is a little rat before
more edgy modern gainy sound (don't forget to cut off slightly mesa's gain with boosters )

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20629.0

Elantric

I would love to see some .tsl files being shared where people are using the sneaky stuff.
And Meesha has shared his Boss Tone Studio Katana Patch for Metal Heads - Modern Rectifier here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20629.0
Katana - Modern Rectifier (Metal / Sneaky)

Elantric

And so begins a new day of discovery

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-335#post-23892490

BenoA
Contact
BenoA
The discovery about the "hidden" amps is pretty cool! Hats off to @gumtown

Gotta go try this ASAP! Rock on!

P8t8r

From what I remember both MS1959 I and MS1959 I+II were real gems in GT-1. Gonna try'em out in Katana.

BenoA

P8t8r said: ↑
From what I remember both MS1959 I and MS1959 I+II were real gems in GT-1. Gonna try'em out in Katana.
The MS1959 + a tube screamer is my fav in my Boss GT8. Gonna go try this right away! Katana, here I come! :)

Many thanks to Meesha & Elantric, that recto patch has saved the lead channel for me! I had dailed in a fat, Mastodon-ish high gain that I love on the brown channel (with the help of the graphic eq), but I was never fully happy with what the lead channel was giving me. After 20 minutes with that recto-patch I'm in heaven. I don't think its ever coming off that slot.

As many of these sneaky amps that we could get as patches would be wonderful. I (like many here it seems) only have Mac machines, so I can't use the current floorboard app-thingy.

Cheers, that made my day!

Mattaraja

The Matchless and MS1959 I+II are real winners, wow!!!

Juppstein

Must....resist....digging...into....this...new...hidden....stuff.....Aaaaaaarghl :bonk*goesbonkers*

gumtown

mac OS X version added, so we now have KATANA FxFloorBoard editor for
Windows 7~10
Mac OSX 10.8~10.12
Linux Ubuntu 64 (may run on other Linux 64 variants)

download from here...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/

vtgearhead

I used one of the Python libraries to do a reformat and pretty-print of Robin's sneaky amp listing.  It does look like assigns are supported and I'm betting this is the mechanism used to slave multiple effects parameters to the front panel knobs.  Question is:  Which assignable controllers are available for external use?  Wish I had the time or energy to dig into this deeper, but I'll yield to those on this forum who apparently operate without sleep far better than I can :-).

gumtown

I have updated the windows and Linux versions to 20170411
which hopefully will read in the Katana patches (from the Katana) from the "Temp Buffer" and the first 4 patches.
Just enable the "Connect" button and double click on the "Patch Tree" item to load into the editor.

Would be good to know which of the editor functions work and which do not.
I can then trim the bad ones out, and start on installing the Katana specific features, such as the led panel lights.

download here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/

Meesha

one more time thanx and kudos to you, gumtown!
if you have extra minute - can you describe changes and fixes in new versions (kinda changelog) ?
ppppppleease )

gumtown

No big changes from the front, but much background structure change,
mainly setting up a correct system exclusive patch data structure.
It also forms the basis of the sysx patch save file too,
structured in 128 byte address ranges from 00 00 to 12 00 with a size of 2427 bytes.

The editor can now (should be able to) read in patches from the Katana, and display the patch settings in the editor GUI.
The Katana sends a 2332 byte patch file in a contiguous address 255 byte format,
the editor then re-aligns the format into a better readable format. (rows of 128 bytes).
mmm...nice...

So, to load a patch in from the Katana, the editor "CONNECT" button needs to be active. (lit up green).
Then a "double-click" on the left panel "Patch Tree" will read/load the corresponding Katana patch from the Katana into the editor.
Expanding the Patch tre should also read the patch names from the Katana.
There should be 5 Katana patches, but who knows, there could be more.
They are likely to e found in the "Temp" and first 4 patches of the 'Patch Tree'.

Also be good to know if any other effects work, if any in the "B' signal chain work.
And the 8 Assigns and Pedal functions, if they work too.

BTW: I don't have a Katana yet, (they are incredibly over priced in NZ), and I missed out on a local auction one (out bid),
so if you find it odd that I ask these questions (like does it work?), it is because I am 'flying blind'.

Beanow

I would like that feature!
Unfortunately still the "it's not a Boss KATANA" error on connect.

The ID my Katana-100 combo responds with is:
F0 7E 00 06 02 41 33 03 00 00 01 00 00 00 F7

I was actually just scanning the Katana's memory, so since you're working on it I'll share the patch slots I found are active:
10 01 - CH 1 patch
10 02 - CH 2 patch
10 03 - CH 3 patch
10 04 - CH 4 patch

20 00 - Panel factory reset patch
20 01 - CH 1 factory reset patch
20 02 - CH 2 factory reset patch
20 03 - CH 3 factory reset patch
20 04 - CH 4 factory reset patch

60 00 - Panel patch

The 0th user patch (10 00) I'm not sure what it does yet.

sixeight

QuoteThe 0th user patch (10 00) I'm not sure what it does yet.

Probably the temporary memory for the current patch...

Beanow

Quote from: sixeight on April 11, 2017, 05:17:14 AM
Probably the temporary memory for the current patch...

I'm quite certain that is the 60 00 range.
Currently I'm in the middle of investigating these things.