KATANA PATCH LOADER - a midi real-time live patch file Loader (128 patches)

Started by gumtown, March 17, 2017, 01:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

act

Hello,
Amazing work and software ! Bravo.
I own a Katana 100 combo since two week now (a very nice gift from my family, thanks to them) and I found this amp amazing but so limited with just four patch and the panel system, no midi input !?
And the Roland GA-FC is an expensive thing for again limited accessible functions.
I don't understand why all those limitations, when the amp can offer so much !!
So, I search on every corner of the web and I found so many alternative solutions and possibility to take advantage of the power of the Katana.
But sincerely, for me, the best is THE KATANA PATCH LOADER.
I installed the software this afternoon, made midi set up to connect my FCB1010 (set up the FCB1010 to send correct midi Program Change), load a Katana Liveset (tsl file) and BINGO I can switch between a long list of patches and transmit them instantly to the katana.
I don't try to see if can switch between the 128 patches, but with 10 for me it's a good start.
Now I'm going to make a nice Liveset and go farther than I expected.
Thanks a lot again, great work !
Now, I'm going to dig in this software and work with.

ps : I know this software is in development, but It seems to "suck" a lot the CPU. Constantly 12 % of the CPU is used by the software.
And the amount of RAM used increase fast to 250 Mo and more.

admin

Quote from: act on July 10, 2017, 02:07:02 PM

ps : I know this software is in development, but It seems to "suck" a lot the CPU. Constantly 12 % of the CPU is used by the software.
And the amount of RAM used increase fast to 250 MB and more.

There is no free lunch 

Dedicated alternatives - but not capable of 100 presets ( like Gumtowns Katana FX Floorboard Solution

PrimovaSound MIDX-20
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.0

or if you are a programmer there is

SnHirsch's Katana MIDI Bridge Code
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19782.0
i understand one person runs that on a BeagleBone Black SBC

act

Hello,
The CPU consumption problem is set by hiding the application. (on windows 7)
We go from a use of the CPU of 12% to 0%.

gumtown

There is a new updated version (20170717) posted, which solves the CPU usage.
CPU usage is almost 0 now.

The memory usage can't be avoided, due to the C++ framework used,
and the editor/loader unpacks all graphics and *.tsl patches  into the memory space on start up,
which vastly reduces disk read time to load a patch or open an edit page.

Once the original smaller patch loader returns, it will use less CPU, and slightly less memory.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

act

vtgearhead

Hi, Gumtown.  Did you see my note in the FxFloorboard thread?  I should have posted it here, since it actually referred to the patch loader.  I describe a solid workaround for the "wrong data stored" issue that may help you zero in on the underlying bug.

gumtown

Quote from: snhirsch on July 18, 2017, 05:11:50 AM
Hi, Gumtown.  Did you see my note in the FxFloorboard thread?  I should have posted it here, since it actually referred to the patch loader.  I describe a solid workaround for the "wrong data stored" issue that may help you zero in on the underlying bug.
Yes, I have plugged away some more to tidy most of these issues up.
as always, as some issues get resolved, others appear.

I have noticed that some of the 'SNEAKY' parameters like chain order and a few OD/DS types don't want to save correctly into the Katana user memory, but the katana 'temporary memory' is quite happy to accept them.
So as far as the Patch Loader goes, the first 5 patches (direct from the Katana) may have minor limitations on some parameters,
while the other 123 loader patches allow the full range of Katana sneaky parameters.

So here is the latest Windows Katana Patch Loader
version 20170720
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/katana_patch_loader_setup.exe/download

Some basic functions of the first 8 assigns work too, the only thing left to sort is when an Assign Target Minimum parameter is higher than a Target Maximum (inverse/reverse assign control).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

I was able to reliably save chain order using the method outlined in my note.  For a check, I used the 'Write' option to save, switched away to a different preset, returned and double-clicked the "read current patch" option at the top.  The ordering seemed to come back reliably.  Are you saying that I wasn't really getting back a stored patch by doing this?

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumtown on July 20, 2017, 05:56:55 AM
I have noticed that some of the 'SNEAKY' parameters like chain order and a few OD/DS types don't want to save correctly into the Katana user memory, but the katana 'temporary memory' is quite happy to accept them.

This tends to support my belief that the T-Comp parameter is actually doing something in spite of the fact that it won't save.  Robin concluded that it wasn't, but I respectfully disagree with the test methodology.  When my limited time permits, I'm going to drive the amp with a tone-burst generator and see if I can spot differences in the dynamic behavior at various T-Comp settings.  It's possible I'm deluding myself, but I can detect a definite difference in "feel" when T-Comp is adjusted.

gumtown

Here is another update, it is getting nearer to completed, and then eventually released as the 'revised Editor'.
The original patch loader will follow soon after, with the enhancements of the editor added.

So.. this update has an editable Patch Loader, patches can be added, saved to, deleted, inserted
       into the patch loader 'Tree List'.
       Global assigns have been added, and the ability to include these within an Exported Patch Loader file,
       so that the lightweight "Patch Loader" can handle global assigns saved in the patch bundle.
       This modified *.tsl format is still able to be opened in Tone Studio too.

Here it is, windows version 20170803 download link for inspection..
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/katana_patch_loader_setup.exe/download

The patch saving into the Katana should be improved and save to the correct channels.

act

act

Hello,
There is a new BOSS firmware update since October 2017.
Here the link :
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/b9da3bd3-ab7b-451a-9310-7c6fdb6d4b24/

"Update history
[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.

A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
    Please refer to the "KATANA Series Version 2 Supplementary Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
    "LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
    "PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
    "SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
    DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
    SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
    Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible."

Did the KATANA PATCH LOADER will work with this firmware update ?

gumtown

The patch loader will require an update to work with Katana Firmware 2.

act

Hello gumtown,
Thanks for the answer.
I will wait the update, before installing the new firmware.
Have a good day

bowtomecha

So how do the patch loader and the fxfloorboard differ exactly? And what do people generally use to connect these and a midi controller to the Katana? I'm purposing a midi foot controller through a usb hub between a windows tablet and the katana and I haven't worked out the kinks yet.

gumtown

Patch loader was a concept of using an external midi controller to send patch change to a laptop/tablet, which the patch loader would receive and send pre-allocated patch data to the Katana.
This has since been added to Katana FxFloorBoard, as well as 16 Assignable cc# controls.
For a windows tablet with only one USB port may prove difficult, as I don't know if the midi controller and Katana will operate through a hub (maybe?)

Gdub60

I am struggling to learn how to use the Loader. I have been creating individual patches and saving them as .tsl files. Should I be saving the individual patches as a different file type? Groups of patches seem to also be .tsl files. When I start putting patches I created into the Loader they are all named KATANA in the Loader list. I tried renaming one of them but this had many consequences that I had not expected. Does anyone have a basic tutorial for using the Loader properly?

gumtown

Quote from: Gdub60 on February 10, 2019, 11:43:23 PM
I am struggling to learn how to use the Loader. I have been creating individual patches and saving them as .tsl files. Should I be saving the individual patches as a different file type? Groups of patches seem to also be .tsl files. When I start putting patches I created into the Loader they are all named KATANA in the Loader list. I tried renaming one of them but this had many consequences that I had not expected. Does anyone have a basic tutorial for using the Loader properly?
Saved File name is separate from the Patch name stored inside a patch file.
Press mouse cursor in the "Katana" name in the dialog window, and you can change the default name to that of your choice.

To use the Patch Loader:

1: ensure "Patch Loader" mode is activated from the Preferences > Window menu (enable the tick box),
  when the Loader is active the left Patch Tree will have "Loader" as an option and 16 Assigns buttons will be seen in the bottom row.

2: Ensure the editor connection is active, with the "Connect" button lit green,
  open/load a patch file into the editor, select patch 9 in the left panel patch tree as the desired save location, press the editor "Write" button to save the patch file into slot 9.

3: Repeat process to add more patch files.
Alternatively a bundle of *.tsl patch files, maybe saved from Tone Studio, can be loaded all at once from the File Menu "Open Patch loader Bundle file".

4: the patches in the loader section can make use of the 16 Assigns (the first 8 Katana channels can not) to assign any remote/external midi cc# to any effect parameter.

5: Select your external midi controller device from the Preferences > Midi/USB menu.
   External Program change from 9~128 will select and load the "Loader Patch" into the Katana temporary scratchpad address (the area that plays the current patch).
External midi cc# command will be received and translated to the required Assign.