KATANA- Condor's Katana AMP GUI Control (MIDI over USB) with Android

Started by condor, February 24, 2017, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.C.

Just wanted to say thanks and report that version 13 seems to be running fine with a Katana 100/212 and a Galaxy S4 running Cyanogenmod (Android 6.1). Using a UGREEN Micro USB OTG adapter.

Beanow

As reported on https://github.com/katana-dev/android-katana-editor/issues/1

QuoteI installed Katana Editor Yesterday on my Galaxy S6 (Android 6.0.1). It's really great so I would like to thank you for this great job.

I detected a small bug in the FX screen. Some effects are systematically replaced by 'Chorus'. Here is the scenario to follow to reproduce the bug:

Set Fx Level to 24 (see screenshot 1)

Press Fx button
    Select 'Octave' in the Red field of FX line (see screenshot 2)

Press Delay/Fx to select Red

Expected result: Octave effect selected in Delay/Fx
Current result: Chorus effect selected in Delay/Fx (see screenshot 3)

Here is the list of effects systematically replaced by 'Chorus':
TWah
Limiter
ParametricEQ
GuitarSim
SlowGear
WaveSynth
Octave
PitchShifter
Harmonist
ACProcessor
Phaser
Rotary
Slicer
Vibrato
RingMod
Humanizer
ACGuitarSim

I work as Test engineer so if you need help to test your app, I would be please to do it.

Cheers,
Jal.

gustavz

previous post: I detected a small bug in the FX screen. Some effects are systematically replaced by 'Chorus'.

Same here, just for Information.

condor

its not a bug. I did not implement every effect right now. Currently i am busy with non IT stuff, so it can take a while until i will have time to work on it again.

kagi888

Hello together, I posted this message in the Facebook Boss Katana group and now I copy it here:
First I will say that this app is a great tool and I thank the developer so much to make it possible and for sharing!!!

A):
On the Samsung S6 with Android 7.0 I experience that the S6 is crashing and rebooting, so I tried now some more things.
1. I reinstalled the app (v 13). This time the amp (K100 W Combo Fw 1.02) was turned on and connected to the phone via my OTG cable.
2. I switched of portrait mode at my S6 display setting and I have the feeling that the crash and immediate reboot of the S6 has something to do with it (toggling automatically between monitor modes).(I must verify this with some more tries, but right now I dont have the sparetime)
3. I installed a Midi monitor tool, but it is useless as long as the Katana app amp control is connected and runnig. But I left the Midi monitor app on and running (without any function beacuse the Katana app has claimed  midi).
4.I left my S6 for some minutes (the door bell rang ;-))and after coming back it was in it's standby mode. I woke it up and the midi monitor app tried to claim the midi connection ...what it did... and baaaaaamm S6 crash and reboot. (need to retry witthout running midi monitor app)
5. After the reboot I set the parameter "Keep screen on" in the app, tried to switch into the standby mode and woke it up via the power on/off button. the app ran stable and no crashing S6.

So far everything works (beneath the crash and reboot which I guess is connected to either display mode switching of the mobile device or midi connection break ups (here provocated via the midi monitor app)).

B)
Unfortunately theres one more thing: Switching the Reverb modes (red, green, yellow) works fine, but switching booster/mod and delay/Fx mode does not work everytime. I needed to go into the Setting and move the Booster and Delay/FX level, after that it was possible to switch between the modes.

So I hope that my report does help ... and please excuse my german-english;-)

Beanow

Condor, I'm wondering what your plan is for development from here.
Do you intend to open source and/or take donations/ads?

Magiamusical

I installed the application and I'm impressed by the numerous parameters that can be manipulated, just one question, is it possible to save presets so that when playing live it can access more presets than the 4 currently in the Katana?
Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

Magiamusical

Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

Beanow

Question here: https://github.com/katana-dev/android-katana-editor/issues/2

Quote from: thessman
After playing around on your app for an hour or so, I can no longer change between the green/orange/red options on the combo controls! It's the 50W combo. Help appreciated. Factory reset doesn't reset this. Thanks.

Quote from: beanowAre you talking about toggling from the app or does this also not work on the physical buttons?

guitarajax

Great App and thank you for developing it.

Is there a way to use TSL files (livesets) from the Boss Tone Studio on the app? or
do i need to recreate them on the app?

fificap

Hi,

I used a lot this app with a galaxy s5 (android 6) and my katana head. It was very stable, and i had a lot of fun to use it, thanks to Condor !!

Now i switched to a new phone, galaxy s7 (android 7 i think) and i have a lot of crash and reboot :(

I will try the "keep screen on" option as said by Kagi888.

Thanks
fifi

vtgearhead

Anyone using a Samsung Galaxy A tablet with Condor's application?  The much-recommended Nvidia K1 is apparently no longer available and I'm looking for a compatible unit in the $150-250 range.

Suggestions appreciated!

vtgearhead

I took the plunge and picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 (16G of memory).  It runs the Katana app with no problems (so far).  Nice work, Condor!

Is development still on going?  You've been quiet lately :-).

fificap

Quote from: kagi888 on May 22, 2017, 01:43:03 AM
Hello together, I posted this message in the Facebook Boss Katana group and now I copy it here:
First I will say that this app is a great tool and I thank the developer so much to make it possible and for sharing!!!

A):
On the Samsung S6 with Android 7.0 I experience that the S6 is crashing and rebooting, so I tried now some more things.
1. I reinstalled the app (v 13). This time the amp (K100 W Combo Fw 1.02) was turned on and connected to the phone via my OTG cable.
2. I switched of portrait mode at my S6 display setting and I have the feeling that the crash and immediate reboot of the S6 has something to do with it (toggling automatically between monitor modes).(I must verify this with some more tries, but right now I dont have the sparetime)
3. I installed a Midi monitor tool, but it is useless as long as the Katana app amp control is connected and runnig. But I left the Midi monitor app on and running (without any function beacuse the Katana app has claimed  midi).
4.I left my S6 for some minutes (the door bell rang ;-))and after coming back it was in it's standby mode. I woke it up and the midi monitor app tried to claim the midi connection ...what it did... and baaaaaamm S6 crash and reboot. (need to retry witthout running midi monitor app)
5. After the reboot I set the parameter "Keep screen on" in the app, tried to switch into the standby mode and woke it up via the power on/off button. the app ran stable and no crashing S6.

So far everything works (beneath the crash and reboot which I guess is connected to either display mode switching of the mobile device or midi connection break ups (here provocated via the midi monitor app)).

B)
Unfortunately theres one more thing: Switching the Reverb modes (red, green, yellow) works fine, but switching booster/mod and delay/Fx mode does not work everytime. I needed to go into the Setting and move the Booster and Delay/FX level, after that it was possible to switch between the modes.

So I hope that my report does help ... and please excuse my german-english;-)

Hi,

I face similar issue with my Samsung S7 (android 7.0) and katana head 100 (worked perfectly with my old Samsung S5 and android 6.1 before !).

This app is so good (why boss didn't provide it ??), I really want to find a way to use it stable again.
I've tried some of the things you proposed, but it still unstable, with freeze & reboot of the phone.

- I will try to re-install completely the app (V13), cleaning the data & cache, uninstall and then re-install. I understand that you've re-install it when the phone was connected t the katana with usb, correct?

- I tried to use "keep screen on", but when I click on it on the menu, nothing seems to change to notify that the option is active? And does this remain active when leaving & re-starting the app? If I click twice on the option "keep screen on", does it disable the option?

- The refresh of information when plugged is never (or very few time) done automatically, I have always to turn & push some buttons on katana !

- Do you use a particular setting of the system battery optimizer? I've put an exception on the katana editor to prevent optimization action on it.

Thanks for your help,
fifi

Elantric

Sadly the app creator, ( Condor) from Germany has not returned to VGuitarForums since June 2017  - I expect no further updates

fificap

Bad news :(

I suppose that the software needs to be adapted to new firmware V2 ...

Maybe the android app "midi commander" http://www.bordero.it/Apps/MidiCommander/ or equivalent can help to control the katana, at least choose a sneaky amp or change the effect assignment on panel settings?

admin

Quote from: fificap on October 04, 2017, 03:25:42 PM
Bad news :(

I suppose that the software needs to be adapted to new firmware V2 ...

Maybe the android app "midi commander" http://www.bordero.it/Apps/MidiCommander/ or equivalent can help to control the katana, at least choose a sneaky amp or change the effect assignment on panel settings?

Sadly that may never happen - Condor has left the building, not logged in here to VGuitarforums since last June 2017 

There are other options

GPD Pocket 7" Palm Top PC running Boss Tone Studio
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21265.msg157052#msg157052

condor

since I can not continue the development of the android editor for personal reasons I decided to upload the complete source code (eclipse project) so maybe somebody else can use or improve it in future.

admin

Condor , thanks so much for checking in and catching us up.

I know the holidays and life can be an obstacle but speaking for a few of us here I can say Thank You for uploading the source code of your Android Katana Control app

Quite a few folks may have more time and energy and you have such an excellent lead on this
I do hope it expands and become something all Katana owners  will be proud of!

alancarl

Hey Condor,
    Thanks for your countless hours and dedication to help the Katana community of musicians.
Peace and have a great holiday!
Al