KATANA- Condor's Katana AMP GUI Control (MIDI over USB) with Android

Started by condor, February 24, 2017, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

condor

https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/how-to/use-28-amp-types.md#katana-editor-for-android
The first pre-alpha version of the Katana android editor is now ready to be released to public. A lot of things are not implemented yet but it can be used as a simple editor. You will need an OTG cable. Only booster selection, delay and reverb works at the moment. I would be happy if somebody could test it with K100 if connection and sysex communication work. The device matrix has to be query from the amp manually by pressing the button ReqFxMatrix in "Gate" page. Some of the buttons don`t have a function yet.

Elantric

Very cool!
QuoteThe first pre-alpha version of the Katana android editor is now ready to be released to public. A lot of things are not implemented yet but it can be used as a simple editor. You will need an OTG cable. Only booster selection, delay and reverb works at the moment. I would be happy if somebody could test it with K100 if connection and sysex communication work. The device matrix has to be query from the amp manually by pressing the button ReqFxMatrix in "Gate" page. Some of the buttons don`t have a function yet.

Question? What specific Android Smartphone is working for you?

i will try this weekend!

Filipe

Quote from:  condor on February 24, 2017, 12:23:06 PM
The first pre-alpha version of the Katana android editor is now ready to be released to public. A lot of things are not implemented yet but it can be used as a simple editor. You will need an OTG cable. Only booster selection, delay and reverb works at the moment. I would be happy if somebody could test it with K100 if connection and sysex communication work. The device matrix has to be query from the amp manually by pressing the button ReqFxMatrix in "Gate" page. Some of the buttons don`t have a function yet.

Woohoo! Excellent, K100 here, I'm on it.

Filipe

Right, so first experiment didn't go so well.

Usual debugging info: Tablet is an Nvidia SHIELD K1 running Android N, with OTG support verified more than once by plugging audio interfaces to it, etc, etc.

The app installs and opens just fine, then does the usual USB device access request - more than once. Even when always accepting it, it doesn't seem to control either booster, delay or reverb, and yes I did the ReqFxMatrix thing. Tapping the buttons on the app changes the colors on the app, but Kat's panel stays the same. Twiddling the sliders does the same - nothing on the Kat. The app doesn't reflect the knob twiddling on the Kat either (dunno if it's supposed to at this point?).

I'm going to try it on my older Nexus 2012 and also report back. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to help debug it on the Shield / Android N?

Edit: here's a screenshot of the Shield on the Gate page:

https://goo.gl/photos/9CxWEdAmFf9uf25v5

Elantric

( I also have a nVidia Shield Tablet) and a LG V20 Smartphone with Android 7 Nougat

I would babystep things  -

* Use a qualified USB OTG  adapter that is known to work 100% with your Android device ( most generic ones do not work)

* Use a third party Android MIDI monitor application to see if the Boss Katana shows up as an available USB MIDI I/O device on your Android tablet   - like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbmidimonitor&hl=en

I'm experiencing the fact that only some Android hardware devices actually work with Roland/Boss gear for MIDI over USB communications  - while most do not.

Our member Spider (in Poland) has amazing good luck doing this with his android computers  - but its really hit & miss
* NEXUS 7 with Android 4.4.4 (not clear if this is the latest Nexus7 (1920x1080 screen), or 1st generation (1280 x 768 screen) 

* Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.4.3

Read these threads:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11854.msg86776#msg86776

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16255.msg116114#msg116114

Spider wrote>
QuoteLast days I tested musical apps for Android. Ok... no so good, not too much. It is not an iPad but I made few interesting discovery any way.

I tested GP/SY + FTP connected via USB (non powered) hub to Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7 (2013). My DAW on Android was Audio Evolution Mobile. And..
1. It is possible use smartphone like Galaxy S3 for recording directly from GP-10/SY-300.
2. It is possible to record not only audio but MIDI too.
3. Audio Evolution Mobile has installed MIDI instruments as SF2 (Sound Fonts) and is it possible to us it with FTP/GP-10. Good things is that it can load patches prepared in FTP for mono mode with splits etc.
4. Is possible to change patches on GP/SY using D-pad on FTP.
5. Yes... no problematic latency.

vtgearhead

Quote from:  Elantric on February 24, 2017, 04:06:50 PM
I'm experiencing the fact that only some Android hardware devices actually work with Roland/Boss gear for MIDI over USB communications  - while most do not.

Isn't Android running the Linux kernel underneath? 

condor

Quote from:  Filipe on February 24, 2017, 03:34:06 PM
Right, so first experiment didn't go so well.

Some infos about the app (min. API level 19):
I tested  (and developed) it with Moto G4 Android 6.0 (API Level 23). I didn`t experience any problems. It connects and even reconnects to my K50 without a hick (will post a screenshot about connection procedure later).
I also tested it with my Sony Xperia tablet (Android 5) witch sometimes works but not always I also have seen crashes of the device but did not have the time to investigate it.

I changed reconnect procedure and fixed a bug with the reverb parameter. Please try new version. Its now locked to portrait mode.

Filipe

Quote from:  Elantric on February 24, 2017, 04:06:50 PM
( I also have a nVidia Shield Tablet) and a LG V20 Smartphone with Android 7 Nougat

I would babystep things  -

* Use a qualified USB OTG  adapter that is known to work 100% with your Android device ( most generic ones do not work)

* Use a third party Android MIDI monitor application to see if the Boss Katana shows up as an available USB MIDI I/O device on your Android tablet   - like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbmidimonitor&hl=en

Our member Spider (in Poland) has amazing good luck doing this with his android computers  - but its really hit & miss
* NEXUS 7 with Android 4.4.4 (not clear if this is the latest Nexus7 (1920x1080 screen), or 1st generation (1280 x 768 screen) 

* Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.4.3

Read these threads:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11854.msg86776#msg86776

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16255.msg116114#msg116114

Spider wrote>

Thanks Elantric, I'll check those out in a bit with the Shield in a moment. In the meantime, I tried the Nexus 2012 (1280x720 screen, Android 5 - slow as............), and the results are as follows:

Filipe

Quote from:  condor on February 25, 2017, 01:40:45 AM
Some infos about the app (min. API level 19):
I tested  (and developed) it with Moto G4 Android 6.0 (API Level 23). I didn`t experience any problems. It connects and even reconnects to my K50 without a hick (will post a screenshot about connection procedure later).
I also tested it with my Sony Xperia tablet (Android 5) witch sometimes works but not always I also have seen crashes of the device but did not have the time to investigate it.

I changed reconnect procedure and fixed a bug with the reverb parameter. Please try new version. Its now locked to portrait mode.

It works with the Nexus 2012 running Android 5.1.1 Build LMY47V.  ;D

Now for details:

After pressing ReqFxMatrix it successfully loaded some of my effects, while defaulting a few others:

- Booster - all slots loaded;
- Mod - all slots loaded;
- Delay - all slots defaulted to "Digital".
- FX - all slots loaded;
- Reverb - all slots defaulted to "Room".

All the slots can be edited from the app, and I can pick the effects from the drop downs on the FX tab. Pressing the FX buttons on the Kat changes the effects as usual, and the changes are reflected on the app; twiddling the knobs changes the sound, but those changes aren't reflected on the app - except if you turn slots on / off.

Great stuff, getting there!  :D

condor

Quote from:  Filipe on February 25, 2017, 04:49:32 AM

- Booster - all slots loaded;
- Mod - all slots loaded;
- Delay - all slots defaulted to "Digital".
- FX - all slots loaded;
- Reverb - all slots defaulted to "Room".

Yes I know. The onItemSelectedListener fires events in cases it should not. I`m thinking about how to solve this. You can now see messages when this happens.
I added support for tracking delay and reverb amp-knob changes so the app should handle them well now. You also don`t have to request FxMatrix manually and the device windows should now be up to date in every case (apart from device changes which cames from the amp by pressing the color buttons).
Note that only Chorus and Flanger are implemented. You can select other effects too but they are all mapped to Chorus. I will add the other modulation effects step by step.
Fx Slot is unfinished too. 
But i already have a lot of fun playing around with my K50 controlled by my phone and always finding new sounds from this great amp. :-)

Filipe

Quote from:  condor on February 25, 2017, 09:16:06 AM
Yes I know. The onItemSelectedListener fires events in cases it should not. I`m thinking about how to solve this. You can now see messages when this happens.
I added support for tracking delay and reverb amp-knob changes so the app should handle them well now. You also don`t have to request FxMatrix manually and the device windows should now be up to date in every case (apart from device changes which cames from the amp by pressing the color buttons).
Note that only Chorus and Flanger are implemented. You can select other effects too but they are all mapped to Chorus. I will add the other modulation effects step by step.
Fx Slot is unfinished too. 
But i already have a lot of fun playing around with my K50 controlled by my phone and always finding new sounds from this great amp. :-)

Very cool, I'll load up the new one later and see how behaves here, thanks!

In the meantime I'm brushing up on my barely existent electronics skills to try and put together some schematics for an A/B box with integrated buffer, mute / tuner out, and a few other quirks, all "remotely" controlled by switches on the other side of the pedalboard.  ;D One has to love the resources one can find on the internet...  ;D

gustavz

It's so fine! It really works with my LG3 under Android 6! I've got the BTS in my pocket. Not tried everything, but most is ok!
So many thanks Condor for sharing your work!!!
I have the Katana 100 112

antodev

I'm very interested in this project ...just bought a Boss Katana 100  ;)

I can test the app on my devices.

Antonio

Quote from: condor on February 24, 2017, 12:23:06 PM

condor

This is the latest version which fixes one bug in the Reverb settings. I hope that i can add more features in the next few days.

vtgearhead

That app looks great, Condor.  I wish I had an Android device to run it on!

sixeight

Quote from: snhirsch on February 28, 2017, 03:26:57 PM
That app looks great, Condor.  I wish I had an Android device to run it on!

The app runs on my Motorola Motorola G.  Unfortunately I don't have a Katana to test it with!

gustavz

Quote from: condor on February 28, 2017, 09:21:43 AM
This is the latest version which fixes one bug in the Reverb settings. I hope that i can add more features in the next few days.
Hey Condor, again thank you for sharing your good work.
I've got the Katana 100 and a LG G3 under Android 6.

Many controls are working fine, but actually i find no way to switch the amp types.
Is this the same at your Katana 50, or is this issue because of the Katana 100?

condor

amp type control is not implemented yet. I focused on the features which are not accessible by the amp itself.
I hope that i can release a new version tomorrow with one more device (GraphicEQ) and some bugfixes.
Adding amp type control is not a big deal. Maybe i get it to work soon.

vtgearhead

Condor, I don't know if you based your work on my API document or not - but if you did I'd appreciate hearing about any mistakes you may have found.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19782.0

antodev

I've tryed the app (version 3) with my Sony Experia Z2.

The usb/otg connection looks ok, but if I change the parameters on the app (ex Reverber) there is no effect on the sound.

condor

Quote from: snhirsch on March 02, 2017, 05:14:24 PM
Condor, I don't know if you based your work on my API document or not - but if you did I'd appreciate hearing about any mistakes you may have found.

Yes, its heavily based on your API document. Thank you again for your great work. I could not mention it often enough. I also used GT Spec but only for some FX parameter range.
The attached new version solves some bugs and adds Amp Type ctrl, GraphicsEQ and Gate. Now already 3 modulation devices are ready to use: GraphicsEQ, Chorus and Flanger. Have fun!

vtgearhead

Good enough - thanks!  A week or two back I updated the docs to properly reflect EFX1 and EFX2 (aka Mod and Efx) address ranges.  I'm embarrassed to have missed that originally, but after a week or so of looking at USB captures my eyes were ready to cross :-).  I also fixed a minor error in the command for setting EFX chain positions.  Originally I thought there was a second part to the command, but a USB trace showed it to actually be a response from the amplifier.  I've learned to take the return traffic in edit mode with a grain of salt.  They can have a lot of things in them that are only intended to drive the BTS GUI.  In the case of your app, that's maybe a good thing.  For a MIDI bridge it's at best a waste of bytes - at worst a source of possible problems (the amp doesn't normally see these as inputs). 

condor

This version fixes a bug in GraphicEQ and update the UI if you select color button in Boost/Mod or Delay/Fx in the app.

gustavz

yeahhh man, it's growing! And it's really useable now, and going better and better!

condor

The latest version is a bigger update.
- way better connection times (nearly no delay after plugging in)
- no USB permission dialog more
- fixed a lot of bugs (Graphics EQ, Flanger and other things)
- new options for engineering stuff
- 2 new devices Tremolo and Uni-V
- UI improvements

By the way, the Uni-V is really great. I love my K50 :-)

have fun!