Amplifier Preference when using GP-10

Started by mccorp, July 31, 2017, 06:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccorp

I am wondering if those who have been using the GP-10 for some time have found an amplifier or system may be particularly good in capturing the tone of the GP-10 patches. I find a speaker system comes closest to capturing the acoustic patches, particularly the nylon patches. Nothing thus far has replicated the tones that a experience through a set of headphones, however. I realize that tone is highly subjective but I would, nonetheless, appreciate the benefit of your experience in this regard.
Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm

admin

Choose from many listed here:

Amplification Systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=37.0

the Atomic CLR Neo is probably the best

Brak(E)man

For me live and studio differs.
Genelec with a sub in the studio
House PA with stereo monitors
or a pair of Db opera full range 15" powered speakers live
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

carlb

I focus on "live." Studio I can go direct to the board.

For live, I need exceptionally compact and light, yet powerful enough to keep up with a seven-piece in any room situation. The best mix of performance (sound quality vs. volume vs. lightweight/small) I've found so far is in a Gemini self-powered PA speaker, 150W.

Driver swapped to a Carvin NE8-8 200W Neodymium 8 which really tightened and cleaned it up (sweet!), and lowered the weight by a good 3-4 pounds.

Bonus: has a balanced XLR output for going to the mains.

To increase the "apparent quality" of my rig sound especially for nylon and dreadnought, I run a BBE Sonic Stomp between GP-10 and the Gemini. Not for more bass/treble, but seemingly "better" bass/treble. "A/B" the BBE and bypass, and it's really pronounced. Don't know what they're doing, but I can't duplicate with an EQ.

Here's my rig. The BBE is mounted on the opposite side, similar to the MIDX-20:

guitar rig by Carl B, on Flickr
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

gumbo

It's the cat that really makes it....   ;)
...I have one as part of my rig too...
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

mccorp

Thank you for the link to amplification systems and for the comments about live performances expressed here.
Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm

alexmcginness

I use Mackie srm 450. If I need to tweak the eq Ive got a Behringer 8020 EQ and a measurement mic and I run some pink noise thru the speaker and get the RTA in the Behringer to get a flat response for the room.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

sve3

Sweetwater Sound: Aspen Pittman Designs Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3 280W 3D Stereo. Light, small, stereo, LOUD... this little amp kicks ass and allows you a full stereo spread all around the stage. I have used it since the GP10 was introduced... many many gigs with it and has never let me down. Sounds like any anmp model you feed it. It can sound like a Fender Blackface to a Marshall 4x12, it is a great amp and Aspen Pittman will communicate with you on any questions you may have.

admin

Quote from: sve3 on August 27, 2018, 09:53:12 AM
Sweetwater Sound: Aspen Pittman Designs Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3 280W 3D Stereo. Light, small, stereo, LOUD... this little amp kicks ass and allows you a full stereo spread all around the stage. I have used it since the GP10 was introduced... many many gigs with it and has never let me down. Sounds like any anmp model you feed it. It can sound like a Fender Blackface to a Marshall 4x12, it is a great amp and Aspen Pittman will communicate with you on any questions you may have.

More about the  Center Point Stereo Spacestation
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1192.msg143991#msg143991