Boss GT-001 Owners Manual & Parameter Guide

Started by Elantric, April 28, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

There is a LOT of stuff in that little box.
I am excited to hear it.

Elantric

The Boss GT-001 has 8 User Control assignments - with option for remote MIDI CC# control - but zero hardware path to actually use them without a PC/Mac running the Roland GT-001 USB driver and a USB 2.0 cable connection.

Too bad they removed the 5pin MIDI I/O  - I hate this trend! Really clobbers the usability of the GT-001 (and GP-10). Forces the GT-001 to be tethered to a PC/Mac via USB and the Roland USB Driver for any remote MIDI Control.
Impossible to use a FC-300 or FCB-1010 MIDI foot controller, unless you lug a PC /Mac computer to your live gig too. Flawed and just plain dumb Roland design decision IMHO, probably saves them $3 per unit by omitting the 5pin MIDI I/O jacks. some middle manager bean counter thinks "just use a USB foot controller" 

or one of these USB to MIDI cables

Problem is USB does not operate without a "USB Host" device on one end of the USB Cable, and the proposed device to be controlled requires a Win/Mac USB Driver. With zero mention of USB "OTG" (On the Go), or "USB Class Compliance" in the GT-001 docs, looks like a missed opportunity, and a closed system with few remote control options.     

Get educated on USB here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.shtml

---

GT-001 MIDI I/O Solution is PrimovaSound MIDX-10 / MIDX-20
http://www.primovasound.com/

Mrchevy

I believe the intent of the GT001 is to offer a studio desktop version of the GT100. Using it as such, I would think the usb would be all you need. But you are right, a 5 pin would be a minimal cost to put in it. To have to add an FC300 to it for foot control though, you would come out far cheaper with the GT100. Also since the patches are interchangeable between the 2 units, the fact that you can program assigns is probably more for doing setups and patch building in the studio and then move them to the GT100 for live use. I'm not sure the assigns in the GT001 are meant to really be used with the GT001. I have not looked at the GT001 so I'm not even sure what the advantage would be over the GT100 aside from size, as it to could be used in the studio anyway.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

But reviewing /comparing the GT-001 to GT-100,owners manuals  i see many differences between them.(with GT-100  having the advantage )
It' makes a gently used GT-100 more attractive, and about same cost as a new GT-001

mojo thorne

With the abundance of existing amp/effect modeling software, and already established interfaces covering all of the price ranges, I'm not sure that I understand the reason that Roland invested in this particular device. 

Unless it's aimed at new home recording users that don't already own a decent interface or any other modeling gear, I don't get where it fits in.  Heck, most DAW's (which you'll have to have in order to justify a purpose for this unit) are now coming off the shelf with decent amp modelers included.  I get that it is supposed to make re-amping easy, but if I'm going to take my signal back out of the box for reamping, then I'm going to drop it down and feed it into a real amp to be captured with mics.

As already mentioned, it's clearly not intended for live use, so I'm scratching my head wondering.... why??  Did I miss something?

Elantric

QuoteWith the abundance of existing amp/effect modeling software, and already established interfaces covering all of the price ranges, I'm not sure that I understand the reason that Roland invested in this particular device. 

Unless it's aimed at new home recording users that don't already own a decent interface or any other modeling gear, I don't get where it fits in.  Heck, most DAW's (which you'll have to have in order to justify a purpose for this unit) are now coming off the shelf with decent amp modelers included.  I get that it is supposed to make re-amping easy, but if I'm going to take my signal back out of the box for reamping, then I'm going to drop it down and feed it into a real amp to be captured with mics.

As already mentioned, it's clearly not intended for live use, so I'm scratching my head wondering.... why??  Did I miss something?

Boss GT-001 IMHO is principally for those who prefer Roland COSM Amp modeling - vs all the competing Software based Amp Modeling.
(which equates it will be popular with folks who have been living under a rock in recent years)

And as I mentioned before  - there will be tradeoffs in capabilities between a GT-100 and GT-001 - lack of an effects loop in the later is one example.  I suppose in this 20 second attention span world of today - these details get missed by the average joe. And Roland Mic Preamps are nothing spectacular compared to a Focusrite. But this does provide a Mic Pre with Phantom power and 24 bit USB interface with FX

Its going to be a tough battle for Roland, because lately i get lots of great sounds from my Software based Amp Modeling, and far more creative flexibility. After I got a recent Macbook Pro with fast  SSD, and a good 24 bit interface, I finally have a solid platform and mobility without the gotchas of many Roland COSM systems  ( I have said goodbye to Global Audio mutes during every patch change).

And then with iConnectMIDI4+ I can integrate my IOS ipad apps ( Bias/Jamup Pro) directly into my OSX DAWs with low latency.

These are tough times for Roland IMHO.  The GP-10 is the one example of Roland doing something new ( 6 channel "Re-Guitar" in post production)   

The 1st company who makes a USB Class Compliant 24bit Audio  / and 5pin  MIDI I/O version of the NI Rig Kontrol 3 will generate lots of sales.

FWIW - I notice N.I. recently dropped all online web info on the RigKontol3 - I predict N.I. will have a new RigKontrol 4 by October 2014, and N.I. is aware of the need for  driverless "USB Class Compliance"for IOS Ipad support  - they recently updated the firmware on their  Komplete Audio 6 to become a USB Class Compliant Audio Interface for iPad support.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/986/traktor-dj-ios-audio-interface-compatibility/

Elantric

admin

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 03, 2017, 08:15:08 PM

All Boss Tone Studio for Windows download links have been removed while Roland /Boss sort out why recent MS Windows update/Adobe AIR updates present a conflict for the BTS Installer

If you already have HYS installed ,please DO NOT REMOVE IT .

I might take a few months for Roland/Boss to deliver a fix

Meanwhile ,use Gumtown's Floorboard Editor for your device (Katana,GP-10,GT-100,GT-001)
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24057971/

To all those having problems installing tone studio on windows 10: Set your date back (a year will do) and then run the install - this will get it installed and then you can change the date back to the correct date - All Good!
I believe it is probably something like a code signing certificate has expired (or similar) - changing the date gets around whatever check it is performing during the install. Enjoy!

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25993658/
IMO, the effects are pretty good, (I'm a nylon string guitarist, and don't use the preamps/cabs at all). You can also power it with a battery pack by using a step up cable and polarity reverse (for negative center tap) for portability (you don't need to be connected to a computer):

Step up Cable
https://www.amazon.com/KUNCAN-Converter-Step-Voltage-2-1mm/dp/B01ID90E3C

Polarity Reverse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBG5QE

admin

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gt-001/updates_drivers/b8295f2b-78e7-4a7f-8ee2-44a7ca7b89de/
GT-001 SYSTEM PROGRAM VER.1.10
Changes in Operating Systems Compatible with the GT-001
The GT-001 Ver.1.10 is to be used as a set together with GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1.
When using the GT-001 Ver.1.10 connected to a computer, make the connection to a computer that is running a supported operating system.
The operating systems compatible with GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1 are as follows.
Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10
macOS 10.12
OS X 10.9 / OS X 10.10 / OS X 10.11
* If the computer you're using runs an operating system that is not supported, use GT-001 System Program Ver.1.04 and GT-001 Driver Ver.1.0.0.

How to tell the version
Please check the version of the system working on your GT-001 before downloading the archive file.
Connect an AC adaptor to your GT-001.
* Do not connect the GT-001 and the computer.
Hold down [ EFFECT ] button and [ TUNER ] button, and press and hold [ ON/OFF ] switch.
The display will show the current version number at "Ver."
Press and hold [ ON/OFF ] switch to turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

Update history
[ Version 1.10 ]
Functionality Improvements
Periodic sending of MIDI pitch bend sensitivity was stopped.
Support for GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1 was added.
GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1 has been provided with a function for switching the sampling rate.

* Use the GT-001 Ver.1.10 in combination with GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1.
[ Version 1.04 ]
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
Saving a patch using specific settings resulted in the GT-001 failing to start; this problem was corrected.
[ Version 1.03 ]
Bug Fixes
The following bug were fixed.
When PREAMP was set to a specific value, the sound sometimes did not play as set.
Changes made in BOSS TONE STUDIO were sometimes not applied correctly on the GT-001.
MIDI System Exclusive messages were sometimes not received correctly.
[ Version 1.02 ]
Functionality Improvement
CHORUS ON/OFF and DELAY ON/OFF were added to KNOB SETTING.
Bug Fixes
The following bug were fixed.
Filters are applied to A-DIST DIRECT sound.
The BRIGHT parameter is present when the type is set to "STACK CRUNCH" on the Ch.B preamp.
The preamp Quick Setting CUSTOM CHAR is "0" tone regardless of the setting value.
During a BOSS TONE STUDIO connection, changes in Quick Setting values on the GT-001 are not updated in the BOSS TONE STUDIO display.
During a BOSS TONE STUDIO connection, operations in BOSS TONE STUDIO do not change the GT-001 screen display.
Inconsistencies in some parameter values occur when using BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT.

admin

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gt-001/updates_drivers/654e6b9b-34bc-4306-b1e7-7fd7fd792adc/
BOSS TONE STUDIO FOR GT VER.1.1.3 FOR WINDOWS
Please refer to the "Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
When you use BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT

When you use BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT, please install a driver for your product in advance.

GT-001 Ver.1.10
GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1.0 for Windows 10
GT-001 Driver Ver.1.1.0 for Windows
* Please use a GT-001 Ver.1.1.0 driver.

GT-001 Ver.1.04 or earlier
GT-001 Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Windows 10
GT-001 Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Windows
* Please use a GT-001 Ver.1.0.0 driver.

GT-100 Ver.2.10
GT-100 Ver.2 Driver Ver.2.1.0 for Windows 10
GT-100 Ver.2 Driver Ver.2.1.0 for Windows
* Please use a GT-100 Ver.2.1.0 driver.

GT-100 Ver.2.03 or earlier
GT-100 Ver.2 Driver Ver.2.0.0 for Windows 10
GT-100 Ver.2 Driver Ver.2.0.0 for Windows
* Please use a GT-100 Ver.2.0.0 driver.

UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.1.1.3 ] MAR 2017
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
Unintended patch data sometimes being sent during a patch-selection operation was corrected.
The values of ASSIGN 4-8 settings are not correctly sent to the unit from LIBRARIAN.
Some keyboard operations failing to work properly was corrected.
Other modification to the behavior of the user interface were made.
[ Ver.1.1.0 ]
Functionality Improvements
It is now possible to copy and exchange PREAMP settings between the A and B channels.
Librarian's "multiple patch copy," "multiple patch overwrite," "multiple patch move," and "multiple patch delete" are now supported.
Multiple patch copy to the unit is supported.
Moving live sets is now possible.
[ Ver.1.0.3 ]
Function Improvement
The color of some text has been changed for improved visibility.
Bug Fix
Buttons became inoperable at certain screens.
[ Ver.1.0.2 ]
Function Improvement
The size of video on the BOSS TONE CENTRAL screen now changes in tandem with the window size.
Bug Fix
Inconsistencies in settings between the GT and BOSS TONE STUDIO were eliminated.
[ Ver.1.0.1 ]
Bug Fix
Edits made in BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT were sometimes not applied to GT-001 or GT-100 Ver.2.

DOWNLOAD AND EXPAND THE ARCHIVE FILE
Download the file named "bts_gt_w113.zip".
It is an archive file in zip format, please double click on the file to expand. After expanding the file, "BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT.exe" will be appeared.

HOW TO INSTALL
* When installing BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT for Windows, keep the computer connected to the Internet.
* BOSS TONE STUDIO uses Adobe Air. If an Adobe Air-related screen appears during installation, click [ Yes ] to continue installation, or go to https://get.adobe.com/air/ to install or update.

If You're Already Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT
Before you install the new version, you must first uninstall the version of BOSS TONE STUDIO that you're currently using.
* Uninstalling the program does not delete live sets saved in the Library.

- Uninstallation Procedure
Click the Windows [Start] button.
Click to select [Control Panel] - [Uninstall a program] or [Control Panel] - [Programs and functions].
In the list, click "BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT" and then click the [Uninstall] button.

Copy the "bts_gt_w113" folder to the drive of your computer.
Double click the BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT.exe just downloaded to start installation.
Follow the instructions in the dialogue boxes to proceed.
When the "Installation has been completed." message appears, click [close] to finish.

STARTING THE APPLICATION
Turn on GT-001 / GT-100 Ver.2.
Connect GT-001 / GT-100 Ver.2 and computer with USB cable.
Double click the BOSS TONE STUDIO for GT icon.
Selection screen of connecting device will appear for the first time you run the software. (After the second time running, the device will be chosen automatically.)
Select GT-001 or GT-100 Ver.2 and click [OK].
* Select "GT-001", NOT "GT-001 DAW CTRL"
* Select "GT-100", NOT "GT-100 DAW CTRL"
* The device can be changed from the SETTING.

* After starting the application, if connecting BOSS TONE STUDIO and the GT-001 / GT-100 Ver.2 is not possible, then in Windows 10, set "Allow apps to access your microphone" to "On."
Click [Start], then [Settings].
Click [Privacy].
Click [Microphone] on the left side.
The microphone setting is displayed.
To change the setting, move the "Allow apps to access your microphone" switch to "On."
Close the window and quit Settings.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
OS
[ GT-001 Ver.1.10 / GT-100 Ver.2.10 ]
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8.1
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7

[ GT-001 Ver.1.04 or earlier / GT-100 Ver.2.03 or earlier ]
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8.1
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM
1GB or more
Resolution
XGA ( 1024 x 768 ) or more

* Internet connectivity is required for using functions of TONE CENTRAL and downloading updated version of TONE STUDIO. (Please note that you might be charged for packet fee depends on your connectivity service.)
* This software has been found to work on typical computers that meet the above requirements, but we do not guarantee that it will operate on all such computers. Please be aware that differences in design or conditions of use may produce differences in the processing power of otherwise similar computers.