Guitar removable Neck Thumb Screws

Started by utensil, November 25, 2012, 07:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utensil

I know this isn't a place for hardware but since it's for modding guitars etc I figure someone may know where to get thumb screws with 3/8 thread and 1 and 3/4 (1.75) inchs length.

I have my strat with a GK pickup and to travel I usually take of the neck (i've fitted it with inserts and screws so I can remove the screws frequently). Now I want to replace the standard screws with thumbscrews so I can do it by hand . Anyone done this to any of their guitars.

I can't seem to find them long enough any help would be great.

tekrytor

If you can't find what you need, you could make your own from studs and knurled nuts.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Mrchevy

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Mrchevy

Or one of these http://www.steinberger.com/GTPRODLX.html
Is space that critical??
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

utensil

Quote from: Mrchevy on November 25, 2012, 11:16:10 AM
Or one of these http://www.steinberger.com/GTPRODLX.html
Is space that critical??

Any of your suggestions would work as I usually check the guitar in when flying and if driving for work there's no real restriction.

The last few times I was going somewhere I decided why not to take my strat so I loosened the strings, put a capo on, removed the neck and put a sock on it (so it wouldn't scratch the body) then put it in my suit case where it fit really easily (The neck is 66cm, shorter than the traveler and steinberger so fits pretty much anywhere they fit but of course over all it's heavier ) .

After that I read about a possible issue with the neck screw holes becoming worn with repeated removal so I got some steel inserts. Using a string winder and a screw driver I can have it ready for play in about 5 minutes so I prefer it to buying another guitar cause the only down side is I can't play it while in transit which is fine for me. It's already a great travel guitar and for a small price I was trying to eliminate the screw driver so no tools are required but it's not really a big downside. I'm not sure even if I find the thumb screws I can tighten them sufficiently by hand to have the neck firmly attached.

Quote from: tekrytor on November 25, 2012, 11:03:04 AM
If you can't find what you need, you could make your own from studs and knurled nuts.

Thanks, I never thought of this , Am checking to find the right parts. Any suggestions for sites?

vanceg

You might check out a place like Tacoma Screw (though that's local to the Seattle/Tacoma area - Many major cities have shops that specialize in just screws). I know I can go into Tacoma Screw and tell them pretty much any weird screw I need, and if they don't have it and cant order it, one of the screw companies can make one up for me.  Well, I have to buy 50.... but that's not SO bad depending on how obscure (and therefore: Expensive) they are.

Sedgewick

McMaster-Carr has a great web site.  We use them at work all the time for hardware when designing mechanical items.  I've attached the link to the knurled thumb screw page.  To maximize the tightening torque, you'll need the largest diameter knob that you can fit into the space available, ( and still have enough room for your fingers ).

Good Luck,
Sedgewick

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screw-fasteners/=kc4171

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screw-fasteners/=tw9p8v

utensil

Quote from: Sedgewick on November 26, 2012, 01:56:16 PM
McMaster-Carr has a great web site.  We use them at work all the time for hardware when designing mechanical items.  I've attached the link to the knurled thumb screw page.  To maximize the tightening torque, you'll need the largest diameter knob that you can fit into the space available, ( and still have enough room for your fingers ).

Good Luck,
Sedgewick

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screw-fasteners/=kc4171

This site seems like the one. I couldn't find exact length so I'm going to order 2 inches instead of 1.75 length, I figure I can cut off .25 from the end which should work out fine. I think a dremel or hacksaw should do it. Thanks

Sedgewick

After cutting it shorter, I recommend you grind about a 1/8" taper on the end, and if possible run a die over it a few times to make sure you have a good start to the threads.  Remember that a little too short is better than too long.

concordal

If you put the die on the bolt before cutting it and then grind a taper on the end, you'll find that the die will "chase" the threads quite nicely.

gumbo

Quote from: concordal on November 27, 2012, 04:11:35 PM
If you put the die on the bolt before cutting it and then grind a taper on the end, you'll find that the die will "chase" the threads quite nicely.

ABSOLUTELY!

...having restored old cars for a living for twenty-plus years of part of my past life, I can tell you that this works...

HOWEVER...

..an even smarter thing to do (first) is to decide whether it would be an idea to include a spring washer under the head of the thumbscrew..in which case, measure carefully, with this in place, before you cut anything..

...and get a few spares, just in case... ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

i wonder if a hinged neck would work, where the string tension keeps it straight, and you back do whammy bends by pulling the neck back?!?
Release the strings and the neck folds over to the back of the body.

or a telescopic guitar.

have you seen those 1/2 sized electric guitars?
quite amazingly they sound just the same as the full sized ones.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

utensil

I was originally considering the devillian centerfold guitar which is hinged but in the opposite way (your idea sounds better since the string tension could keep the neck straight without any screws).

I also considered the lapstick which is a short scale (this might be ideal for for a GK since it's usually tuned to a higher A). Then I came across Stewart Guitars who apparently makes high quality strat like no tool removable neck guitars. Unfortunately he mailed me saying that he didn't have any available at the time.

after checking the folded up specs it seemed clear that a strat would be just as portable , cheaper as well as being a fantastic playing guitar and it was already sitting right next to me so  I tried it once and have done it a few times since.

Gumtown: That one on the left looks great, what kind of scale is it. Do you usually tune it to same as standard pitch?

Mrchevy

utensil, i know this thread is a couple of weeks old but I just ran across this guitar maker, check it out. They make an electric also and seem reasonably priced. http://www.voyageairguitar.com/holiday/
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

mockchoi

Some neat equipment here, but honestly there's no need.  If you've got a soft bag, you won't have any problem putting your guitar in an overhead compartment.  I used to travel constantly, and only once was told to gate-check my guitar.  That one time, I just carried it on anyway. 

utensil

I'd seen the voyage acoustics but didn't know they made an electric. It looks great. I like their approach , I wonder if the neck being hinged in the middle of the fretboard would affect playability on the fret where the two neck parts join.

Somehow I really like the idea that the same guitar I've been using for the past 20 years also works as a travel guitar. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before but I saw it in a forum and it seemed logical. It fits into a smaller suitcase than most travel guitars and can be packed in a roller back with clothes etc.

Elantric