Efficient set up Tear down at the gig

Started by Elantric, February 24, 2008, 12:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

new member ktat wrote>

One crazy idea I'd like to share.  Since I gig alot and rarely use the surface controls live, I've grown tired of carrying and setting up a piece of drum hardware.  My solution was to drill a hole right through the top of my tech 21 cabinet just the right size for the mount that connects the vg99 to the pds-10 to slide into.  Now my vg99 sit right on top of my amp with no fear of it falling to it's death on the job.  Paired with a 25 foot ethernet cable, my setup time has probably been cut in half.  With the lightweight power engine, I can make it from the car to the stage in one trip.

s0c9

Elantric,
Since you gig a lot :)

Would you care to share your "live" setup ?   ;D
Equipment, cable routing, FOH connections, stage monitoring, etc. ?

Elantric

What Multi FX Units Do You Use Besides the VG-99?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=422.msg1528#msg1528

Re: What Multi FX Units Do You Use Besides the VG-99?

I do not gang multiple units together - but here goes:

Digitech GSP-2101  - I keep it around because it has a totally analog tube front end,( that I hope to one day modify)  - that drives an FX loop - with a Stereo return. I like that units Ducking delays, reverbs,  and whacky algorithms - truly was the best thing Digitech ever produced - with the GSP21 legend a close second.   

Digitech GSP-21 Legend - I have it only because Jimmy Page used it on the Coverdale  / Page project from 1992. Steve Morse used it too - again for ducking delays and delayed modulated delays. As soon as its put into a mix with a ride cymbal - the hiss gets buried.

Zoom 9030 - great little unit, Adrian Belew used it on Nine Inch Nails tracks -Dweezil used to endorse it too.  every sound designer in LA I  knew in 1996 had  one in the fx arsenal for its great sounding FX and ring modulator. You have heard this on many super bowl commercials - not for guitar but ambient sound design.   Pre 1998 - Zoom was a cutting edge company, but they turned  into a bit of a joke - though I use my Zoom H4 recorder daily.

VG-8 - Poly HRM Synth that can be routed into the Poly pitch transposer with portamento. Wish the VG-99 synth was this intense

Vox Tonelab LE - best bang for the buck for getting sounds I tend to use most. Really spot on tones of any pre 1975 british guitar sound  - which represents a huge body of work. Trower, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Yardbirds, Cream, Mayall Bluesbreakers "Beano" album tone, Mick Taylor, Jeff Beck, Status Quo, AC30 topboost, JTM-45 Marshalls, Fenders, Tone Ranger pedal, I like its univibe too.  Jeff beck blow by blow mutron Octave clone, Brian May Treble Booster, swampy Pete Anderson tremolo / panner, The Clash, Sex  Pistols, Public Image / Souxie and the Banshees, The Smiths, XTC, Throw my '63 Fender Tube Reverb into the FX Loop and its Dick Dale Surf city. Really nice sounds that breath like a real tube amp. Use an optical SPIDIF cable direct into the MacBook Pro running  Garageband and you can be a very productive  person - with very nice guitar tones.

Line 6 Vetta  II  combo.  on paper this should have been "the last amp ever needed" - and it still has a lot of swiss army versatility with its AES/ EBU I/O, SPDIF/ I/O, Stereo FX Loop, FBV footcontroller with scads of stompbox buttons. But its one of those rigs that sounds great at home and in the studio - but truly sucks in a live band situation if you play with another guitarist with a "real" guitar rig -I have only had it sound right at a live gig twice. I keep it thinking it makes a very easily transportable stereo powered cab for the VG-99.
Oh yea the Variax plugs into it to - but I'm not playing my Variaxs too much now after my VG-99 arrived. I do need to tweak the VG-99 acoustic patches - because I think the Variax Acoustics sound great - the VG-99's Martin emulation patches are too mushy and strange on the lower three strings.

Roland Cube -60  -  2008 COSM model. My Grab and go to a Jam  amp. Just got it recently and its a very nice versatile amp. I have a dedicated  3 button footswitch  i got off ebay from a guy who makes custom footswitches dedicated for specific amps. At a Jam  - or sitting in with another band,  speed is more important. They want to hear you play - not see you bent over tweaking!!!  or spending 20 minutes setting up - I have a Barber Tonepress compressor,  a tuner, a tube screamer, and a Boss LS-2 Loop selector i use as a 6 db booster - (like the old EH LPB-2, or Ross Line Driver)  - kick it in for solos. i use these  on a small pedal board. with the Cube 60 3 button footswitch. I can play anywhere and get 80% of my sounds  with 2 minutes setup - tear down - 90% of tone is actually in your fingers anyway!

1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb - for crunch guitar recordings - and blues jams with snobs where they wont let you play unless you have a vintage amp.

1966 Fender Vibrolux Reverb  - for live gigs, - my most used live amp in the past 6 years.  it breaths and has 4 times the headroom of the amp above. Los Straitjackets used to tour with a pair of these because you can fit them in a Dodge Caravan -and they sound like classic guitar - because most of those tracks were cut with this amp. Its Danny Gatton favorite too. But it needs a re-tube. If you play tube amps a lot - they can be tempermental, and start to sound "off"  when the power output tubes wear out.
The Cube-60 gets me 80% there with the sound, at  half the weight and size. 

1965 Fender Super Reverb - Derek Trucks, Johnny Winter, And the Surf coasters - a recording amp.

1997 Fender Red Knob Twin - Steve Cropper, Jeff Beck, Robben Ford - I rent mine out to him when he plays local gigs on the central cal coast. i use it with an extension cab for festival gigs with my surf band.

1966 Vox AC30 Top Boost.  - Yardbirds, Deep Purple, Brian May, Tom Petty, Buddy Miller, Beatles, Kinks, Hendrix (studio), perhaps my most valueable $$ amp. Bought it for $125 in 1977 from a Rock a billy guy who said it was broken because  his Harmony Meteor guitar would scream and howl anytime he plugged into it.  i even told him I thought it was the guitar  - not the amp, but he insisted he wanted to sell this screaching amp - so i obliged - and nothing was wrong with the amp.

cynegetic

Elantric

Ethernet cable  - with Ethercon connector for FC-300

cynegetic

Huh, didn't realize that it was an ethernet cable.

ktat

Just in case anyone is interested.  I velcro-ed my power supply to the inside of the amp and a george L's cable stays plugged in to the input jack of the amp.  Setup is really fast!!!  I did this to my keyboard amp too in case I need the "full range" rig.

KT

musicman65

I setup/teardown 10 to 20 times a week so it's really important for me to streamline the process. I use a homemade roadcase that houses both the VG99/FC300, a Banshee Voicebox, and a Proteus 2000 Synth module in a single box. The case spits in half with the FC300 in one half and VG99/Synth/vbox in the other...all fully pre-wired. I carry my vocal mic and stand pre-wired with no base. It fits in a quick mount on the roadcase. Total setup time is maybe 3-5 minutes with 4 cables to connect including power.

Here's a link to pictures.Click on the VG99 link on the left menu. http://www.cruzerrocks.com

Bd in tn