Gr-55 Pitch Bend - anyone Figure this out

Started by Witelite, February 13, 2011, 10:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witelite

Used to have a GR-20 and GR-33 and one of the things I likes was the glide function that would enable you to glide  up/down an octave etc when you pressed the pedal.

The only thing I've seen to do this on the GR55 is through these assign buttons (which I'm still sorting through). I can set the CTRL function to Momentary and Assign an Internal Pedal (this is the only way I've found to enable tone bending over a period of time) that is triggered by the CTRL pedal.

If you're with me this far, here is the challenge. I can get the tone to rise doing this but when I let go of the pedal, it doesn't return back to the prior state as it did with the old glide function. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or figure this out? (So as an example I get it to go up an octave but then after letting go of the pedal, Everything I play is at the higher octave)

Thanks and happy to try and explain further if this didn't make sense.

gumtown

From what i have figured with the CTL pedal, is you can assign a pitch bend function as you have, with the pedal 'on'.
I believe you can also use another assign set to CTL pedal 'off' or when the pedal is released.
Use the second assign to fix the pitch back to '0'.
I don't know if the first assign will 'fight' with this since the first assign is still processing the timed internal peda event if you lift your foot before the 'glide' effect has completed it's bending cycle.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Witelite

So the second assign would be "off?  I just assumed they would need to be on as that meant assign was activated. I'll check though

gumtown

I don't have my GR-55 reference with me right now, but i am refering to the CTL pedal in the way that can function, two ways, when it is pressed and when it is released. (please correct me if i'm wrong). CTL-on and CTL-off.
Just like the Expression pedal can have different things assigned whether the EXP pedal switch is on or off. So when the EXP pedal switch is 'on' the EXP pedal does different functions.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Witelite

Tough to explain but I'll try. The only way to do a pitch glide is to use an internal pedal and set it to momentary (at least that's all I can see) . This is described on page 62 of the manual complete with an example (Example setting 1). The problem is that letting go of the pedal doesn't seem to bring it back to normal and setting another assign setting to take it back won't work unless it is using another switch. (I can get it to glide up and back down by using S1 and S2 as an example) because they are separate momentary triggers (s1 going from 0 to +12 and s2 going from 0 to 0 as an example). Using toggle instead of momentary also seems to defeat the time portion of the pitch rise (it happens instantaneously)

Not sure I'm explaining this well but what I'm trying to do is have the step on the momentary pedal trigger the pitch rise and the release bring it back to normal. As there are no time settings if the source is CTL you have to use INT PDL and I can't then figure out how to do it!

A virtual drink for anyone who figures this out.

ddlooping

Quote from: gumtown on February 13, 2011, 12:10:38 PM
I don't have my GR-55 reference with me right now, but i am refering to the CTL pedal in the way that can function, two ways, when it is pressed and when it is released. (please correct me if i'm wrong). CTL-on and CTL-off.

I think you're wrong. :)
Edit: let me qualify that... I don't see any reference in the manual to the equivalent of "on-CTRL-press" and "on-CTRL-release".

Quote from: Witelite on February 13, 2011, 02:25:07 PM
Not sure I'm explaining this well ...

You are, I just think it's not possible with the CTRL pedal.
Is this a patch that really requires the use of the EXP pedal for something else?
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

gumtown

Looking into the GR-55 Master, i see where i was confused, the Master > GK/Pedal control settings, if you set the CTL to do Tone SW, it gives your CTL pedal options with the 'on' function or the 'off' function. Too bad they didn't carry that through to the Assigns, it would be handy in this case..

The best i can do is one assign to bend the tone witha CTL activated internal pedal, and another assign the same to bend back, but with a longer time. This will give note bend and back in one CTL pedal hit.
Maybe that is why half the Bass mode patches have pitch bend assigned to the EXP pedal..

Witelite

Don't need the expression pedal for something else . I use it for the volume control of the synth tones. Not used to having it for two functions but I guess I'll get used to it. Just very used to playing the patch with the old units and it seems like an omission to not have a glide function or at least the capability using the ctrl pedal to do it.

Thanks though guys for checking. I thought it was me

ddlooping

If I understood correctly, pressing the EXP pedal toe-switch enables you to use it as if it was a 2nd EXP pedal.
i.e, EXP controls volume => press toe-switch => EXP controls pitch.
Maybe you should look into that. :)

Witelite

I will and will need to adjust. What's odd is that it would work if you set the source to ctrl (momentary functions work and revert back when you take your foot off the pedal) but you then lose the time portion so that it adjusts instantaneously (no glide).

Seems like an omission to me.

SLICK

Another thing to note is that the Master assign will supersede any other assign eg;
Set assign 1 to control the Gain of the amp block using the exp pedal.
Set Master Exp sw to toggle mod switch and set up the mod block for wah.
Now if you switch the wah on and off using the Exp Switch you will still be changing the Amp gain when you move the Exp Pedal.
If you set the Master Exp Pedal On setting to Mod then everything is OK you can chang Gain settings while the Exp switch is off and you will only be sweeping the wah when the exp switch is on.

It's lucky that it 'just works' like this but it still irks me that this sort of change of function is done 'behind the scenes'  A bit like putting the Od infron of the amp and the paster after it but not actually mentioning it anywhere.
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

Spider

I haven't GR55 yet but I own GT10. A lot function are similar so dig through this very very useful document: Boss GT-8 Brilliance.

BTW: Maybe we (VG Forum) can prepare something similar for GR55?

Elantric

QuoteBTW: Maybe we (VG Forum) can prepare something similar for GR55?

Roland COSM Reference Library
This thread here is ESSENTIAL READING FOR EVERYONE!

Please download ALL the docs posted as attachments to posts in this thread.

These are essential Roland COSM Reference documents ALL GR-55/ VG-99/ VG-88/ VG-8 /GT-X users can learn from.   
click here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

727lawrence

Well, I got a semi-useful B-bender type function by killing strings 2/4 of my COSM model, using PCM1 as a clean guitar and enabling only strings 2/4, then setting the expression pedal to a pitch bend of +2 for PCM1 only. The problem is both in getting the PCM sound to match the COSM model sound, and with the tracking, which is obviously better for the COSM model. Still, I bet one of you guys that's more skilled than I could whip one up that was useable from some scenarios.

ddlooping

Another option for a B-Bender type effect:

- set the COSM 12-string option to "on"
- set its direct level to "0"
- assign(s): target "Model 12STR SHIFTx"

Not a smooth bend though, as the note(s) will bend chromatically (semi-tone steps).

Elantric

I wonder if you could use the 12 String "PITCH FINE (-50–+50) control?

Can you get a 1/2 step bend using these?

ddlooping

Quote from: Elantric on March 09, 2011, 10:06:23 AM
I wonder if you could use the 12 String "PITCH FINE (-50–+50) control?

Can you get a 1/2 step bend using these?

You can assign the 12STR "PITCH FINE", in the same manner as the example I've given above, for 1/2 step bends.
You then get smooth bends.

DUNCANRIGBY

Can the FCB1010 expression pedal control the pitch shift  like a whammy pedal? Which EPROM is the best for GR-55 .

admin

FCB-1010 ROMs for past 10 years work right out of the box
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.0

Gr-55 Pitch Bend details:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3147.msg20254#msg20254