Author Topic: DIY foot pedal controller for GR55  (Read 438 times)

Offline Willo47

DIY foot pedal controller for GR55
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
Hi, I am in a band playing guitar and also do vocals (in NSW Australia). I recently purchased a GR55 as we are doing some Rammstein (with a trio) and I needed to do bass as well as guitar and somtimes other effects.
Problems with the GR55 is that it only has a single control pedal for changing by foot any controls in a patch. Patch changing is too slow for in song use so the other 3 switches are useless during the performance. The GR55 is large it does not fit into my existing pedal board and the expression pedal is therefore not in a suitable position.
To use the GR55 in a live situation you need an external foot switch. They are all either too large or too expensive so I decided to make my own. I have done this successfully using a MIDI CPU purchased from America and a fair amout of work but it is now operational and I have put in a post of my full project on the MIDI CPU forum (Highlyliquid) . I have no financial connection with this company. The link for my project post is:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?p=9535#post9535

I have also added a break out for the analogue output of the standard guitar PU to allow me to keep a full analogue path for my standard PU as I find the guitar ouput on the GR55 is via the A/D convertor which seems to colour the sound too much for my liking.
Although the guitar model sound on the GR55 does allow for key changes the sound can be a bit synthetic so I have found it still useful to tune the guitar to what ever key ie open E for slide for example and then use the key change to augment the sound. For example when doing Jumping Jack Flash I tune the guitar to open E then add Nashville tuning for the parts in the begining where the Stones used an accoustic with Nashville tuning. The basic guitar sound comes from my standard PUs via a full analogue path to the amp.

Hope this is useful                         

L

Offline sixeight

Re: DIY foot pedal controller for GR55
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:06:33 AM »
Nice pedal. I like it. I also like your idea of building a belt pack to connect an IEM. Thanks for sharing.

Blog