GR-55 - Pan Bass guitar to Left Output, and Synth to Right Output?

Started by MeanMrMustard, November 02, 2013, 12:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMrMustard

Hello Everyone,

So what I have discovered may have already been addressed here. It involves the limitations of the gr55. I have created a patch in the user section. It includes two different string PCM's and one model bass guitar. I am using my Godin Multiac Steel SA and using the regular 1/4 inch guitar output as well.

I have the model bass limited to only the (low)E, A and D strings.
I have both the PCM's limited to the G, B, and E(high) strings.

What I'd like to accomplish is be able to pan the bass guitar to the left channel output and pan the strings to the right channel output. Also would like to have separate effects on each. But as far as I can tell, this is not possible to do within ONE patch.

If I recall in other posts the only way to do this was to get the RMC breakout box which allowed the ability to route the six strings differently through whatever outboard gear you wanted. Correct?

I'd love some input or advise from more experienced gr55 users.

Thanks so much.
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

Mrchevy

You could run out of the Guitar out with the modeled bass to your external desired effects, that would leave the GR55 effects all for the PCM tones. Both can be input to a small mixer to then pan L/R as you wish. You can pan L/R within the GR55 and use separate effects but it is limited a great deal to what or how you route it. Using Gumtowns EDITOR ( if you dont have it) makes it easier to see and understand the effects and routing abilities and it is free to download. Link is in his signature.
By the way, I checked out your Myspace link to your album, really great stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

MeanMrMustard

Mrchevy,

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for your kind words about my music.
I will try the guitar out on the gr55, but I thought that was only a guitar out, not effected by the gr55 itself other than adding noise to your signal. Is the guitar out the dedicated modeled guitar out? Can it be routed this way? I will mess with it some today. I also have found I can pan the PCM outs but cannot pan the modeled guitar out. Does anyone know a work around?
Roland what were you thinking? It seems like the engineers who designed the gr55 were definitely not players themselves. Couldn't they have just yelled down the hall, I am sure someone at Roland actually plays, who knows it might be frowned upon at headquarters. I can already see the need for multiple modules to run different instruments. The gr55 is GREAT, but not perfect. I guess that way Roland keeps us just ever so slightly dissatisfied with the current model, so we will run out and get the gr66 as soon as it comes out. I know I will. Maybe they will "get it right" on the next one.

Sincerely,
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

Mrchevy

Refer to pg. 70 in the manual where it explains the guitar out settings. You can output the regular pickups or the modeled guitar from the GR. Mind you that this is a dry pickup and dry modeled guitar signal only but yes, both can be output thru that output. The noise factor is really only an issue if you go into an amp and use high gain settings. Not really an issue with light crunch or clean amplification. If most of what you play is consistent with your recordings on Myspace, it will not likely be an issue. Also the Normal guitar and Modeled guitar can be panned but the signal needs to be run thru either the MODULATION or MFX of the GR55. Lastly, both normal pickup and modeled guitar can go out the guitar out or the GR55 main out. Just remember the Guitar out is a dry signal (meant to feed an amp or MFX pedal) and the Main out, the two guitar signals run thru the effects chain of the GR55.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3196.0

The GR-55's Guitar Output jack is USER Configurable - via a Menu

See the GR-55 Owners Manual Page 70

1. Set the system parameter GUITAR OUT–SOURCE (p. 80) to
"NORMAL PU."
""The GUITAR OUT jack can output the normal pickup sound and/or the
modeling tone sound and Alt Tunings
For example, you can play the normal pickup sound and the GR-55 COSM modeling Guitar
tone sound (dry - no GR-55 MFX) through your guitar amp, and play the other synthesizer
sounds through the PA equipment connected to the OUTPUT jacks."

See the GR-55 Owners Manual  Page 80
The GUITAR OUT jack choices are :
PATCH The GUITAR OUT setting (p. 59) of each patch will be used.
OFF Nothing will be output from the GUITAR OUT jack.
NORMAL PU The normal pickup sound will be output.
MODELING The COSM modeling guitar tone sound will be output.
BOTH Both the normal pickup sound and the modeling tone sound will be output.

* How to enable "Normal Guitar Pickups" with the GR-55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

QuoteRoland what were you thinking? It seems like the engineers who designed the gr55 were definitely not players themselves. Couldn't they have just yelled down the hall, I am sure someone at Roland actually plays, who knows it might be frowned upon at headquarters. I can already see the need for multiple modules to run different instruments. The gr55 is GREAT, but not perfect.

They merely were working to deliver the best they could within a fixed budget, and finite DSP Resources.

The GR-55's internal DSP could not deliver dual PCM Synth sounds, COSM Guitar Modeling, COSM Amp Modeling, stereo MFX - and also offer a separate user configurable COSM Amp / FX audio path  assignable to the GR-55 Guitar Out.   

MeanMrMustard

Thanks for the replies.

I can get the modeled bass routed to the "guitar out" but there is a lot of crosstalk noise. Is there a way to clean it up?
Also I cannot figure out how to remove the modeled bass from the main outputs. I have selected modeled out in the several locations needed to route it to the guitar out. I am assuming that Gumtowns editor might help me with this, I have it installed in my laptop, but currently I do not have the laptop with me.

Thanks again
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

Elantric

QuoteAlso I cannot figure out how to remove the modeled bass from the main outputs

The settings above impact the signals sent to the GR55 Main Output, and have no impact on the user defined signal sent to the GR55 Guitar Out jack.

MeanMrMustard

Thank you so much Elantric,

Boy do I feel dumb. I can't believe how simple. I had been looking elsewhere. One more thing, maybe it's just my rmc godin multiac, but when I play the modeled bass out of the guitar output, using only the E,A, and D strings. The strings that I have "muted" sound noisy with lots of crosstalk. Is this the piezo "EVP" I hear? I am guessing this would not be present in a gk equipped guitar. Is there anything else I can do to quiet the supposedly "muted" strings?

Thanks again and just to let you know I have ordered my US-20, so as soon as I get it I will send it to you.

MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

Elantric

With a Godin if you only want to hear the GR55 COSM Modelled PU sound.

On guitar turn normal pu and piezo pu Volume controls to zero.move the three way switch to Synth position

On GR55 turn off all tones exept the Modeling tone. (See my post above)

mockchoi

Quote from: MeanMrMustard on November 02, 2013, 12:31:23 PM
I have the model bass limited to only the (low)E, A and D strings.
I have both the PCM's limited to the G, B, and E(high) strings.

What I'd like to accomplish is be able to pan the bass guitar to the left channel output and pan the strings to the right channel output. Also would like to have separate effects on each. But as far as I can tell, this is not possible to do within ONE patch.

Well...this is possible isn't it?  Pan Mod left and MFX right and possibly turn off reverb and delay?  Or am I not understanding the object here?

Cricket

Quote from: mockchoi on November 04, 2013, 02:46:07 PM
Well...this is possible isn't it?  Pan Mod left and MFX right and possibly turn off reverb and delay?  Or am I not understanding the object here?

This will work.  You must turn off all post effects (reverb/delay) or you will not get the separation.  Of course, you will be able to select only one effect per side:  one in MOD, and one in MFX.  If this suits your effects needs, then this is the simplest way to do it.