VG-99 dies

Started by jon_bondy, June 03, 2013, 06:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jassy

Well sad news for me, it seems that it was now my turn. ???
After a couple of years without turning it on (it was here in front of me but I have not used it lately) yesterday I wanted to play with it and turned it on, and the first thing I detected is not getting any sound at all from the monitor out (trs).
After doing a factory reset, I see that I also have no signal/level in the GK pickup meters . I've tried other cables and GK guitars with the same result. Which tested in my GR55 and operating properly.
I tested the magnetic pickup input and and I have singal in the meter, but still can not hear anything (trs or headphones out) while I edited the patch to have this input active. The out meters show level but not sound.
LCD and lights are working Correctly ....

edit: if i move the gk cable in my gk2a pickup i get some spikes in the vg99 meter display.. no sure if that mean anything.

Any idea to solve my problem? or I have to resign myself to throw it away?

pasha811

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 03, 2013, 08:00:03 PM
Does anyone near Jon have a GR guitar with a GK cable to test out a totally different setup with Jon's gear?
If I was nearby I'd be right over.

I can't imagine - even if the tuner isn't working try that quarter inch in.  If you've reset to factory defaults and it's still acting odd I wonder if it isn't what Asle mentioned.

Other possibilities?  GK cable.  GK2/3. 

I'm definetely getting custom padding for this - this thread is truly scary stuff.

ASB,

That is exactly the arrangement I got for VG99.. the same tool case as you shown. I have removed all the inner stuff and glued foam all around. Still space for cables and power.
I was able to fit an EV5 and foot pedals for CTRL3 & 4 and keep them connected to the unit while stored so that connecting at the gig / rehearsal site was a breeze. I am less afraid now to carry it along. However winter is winter and hot summer is dangerous as well, especially when the play room has strong air conditioning.. if I ever get back to stage again (courtesy of my 10 month tinnitus  :() I'll get a GP10.

Best Regards
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

Try this

QuoteI then reset the VG-99 to factory specs.  What I had forgotten was that, after the reset, I had to change the [System, GK, GK Connect] setting from "Auto" to "On". Once I made that change, yesterday, everything started working again.

jassy

After reading this thread was the first thing I did, but did not solve anything.

My unit never had any blow nor any drop of liquid and just have used live sometimes.

If the vg99 gk input connector is shortcircuited I should not have any signal in the six strings meter, right?

The fact that it has signal peaks when I move the connector and about a 20% in the gk settings maybe implies that there is another problem.

Elantric

In all modern electronic devices , there is a well known phenomena of the bulk electrolytic caps in the power supply drying out and cease functioning after 10 years. This is the main reason old camcorders die.
http://www.epanorama.net/newepa/2010/03/23/electrolytic-capacitor-failures/

A good tech can diagnose a fault in the power supplies. I'd recommend take the VG-99 to your local Roland Service Center for an estimate on the repair.
Might simply be the -7Volt DC power rail has too much AC voltage leaking across it. This would reflect what you are experiencing with LCD Displays still working, but no sound

Service notes
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28.0;attach=965

jassy

Ok, thanks for your advice.

gumtown

Does it have a CR2032 lithium button cell inside?
A near flat one will cause havoc on system settings, even after a factory reset.
If it has one, it may be worth while replacing it, leaving it out for at least half an hour to completely discharge the remaining data.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jassy

Quote from: gumtown on August 22, 2015, 02:03:07 AM
Does it have a CR2032 lithium button cell inside?
A near flat one will cause havoc on system settings, even after a factory reset.
If it has one, it may be worth while replacing it, leaving it out for at least half an hour to completely discharge the remaining data.

Thanks for your advice, I will consider that option and will inform here if there is a positive result.

Elantric

jassy

Local Roland Service Center returned my unit repaired and perfectly functional. The problem was apparently in several capacitors that have to be replaced.
Now I realize that the backup of my presets that I believed I had saved safely was just archived on a hard drive that failed a few months ago and I am without all mi edited material.
That coupled with that for months I have been using other equipment (GR55, Axe-Fx, Kemper) I do not feel strong enough to start from scratch with the VG99 and I will sell it.
I'm from Spain and I have already announced in several sites at 550 €, if someone was interested in Europe would not mind sending it if the buyer pays shipping.

vurnt99

My biggest problem is the quality of 13 Pin cables & what happens to the sockets in the guitars over time. I have to carry at least 4 15 to 20 foot cables & rotate them regularly. I live in terror of Sudden VG-99 Death Syndrome- I recently sent 1 of the 2 VG-99's I own to be refurbished, & it took a LONG time to get it back. I am thankful that they have continually updated the VG-99 Editor/Librarian to work with current Mac & PC operating systems. When Roland stops supplying OS update patches to the VG-99 editor, that's when we'll know it's O v e r.

Headless68

I had the 13 pin socket on my guitar fail after about 10 years of very regular use - its around another 10 years old now, so I must be due for another some time soon.
I have never had one go in the device side, but that is probably because my guitar is the only constant element of my rig

alexmcginness

Quote from: jassy on October 25, 2015, 11:06:16 AM
Now I realize that the backup of my presets that I believed I had saved safely was just archived on a hard drive that failed a few months ago and I am without all mi edited material.

Theres a great app called Hard Disk Sentinel. It tells you when your hard disk is starting to fail long before it craps out. Its saved my data more than a few times.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.