VG-99 - Does anybody use the "regular" 1/4" input?

Started by Bryan, May 30, 2013, 04:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

I saw that the unit has a regular input and was wondering who used it and what do you think of it?

I know you lose a great deal of the processing power but it does allow for a non modified guitar to be used.

Elantric

QuoteI saw that the unit has a regular input and was wondering who used it and what do you think of it?

Used to use it all the time. (before I obtained a Kemper )
Makes the VG-99 work like a POD. Not all my guitars have a 13 pin hex PU.

Its a feature sorely missing from the GR-55

We even have a whole area devoted to VG-99 Guitar Patches using only the Normal Guitar Input here
VG-99 Mag PU Patches
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=48.0

aliensporebomb

One of my coolest hex patches sounds completely different and equally as compellingly cool under quarter inch jack mode.

I'm serious!  Example forthcoming.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kevin M

I use it occasionally as well. If you don't need the benefits of guitar/synth modeling or alternate tuning, it's a better way to use your magnetic pickups.

Bryan

Good to know.

As it stands now I'm only going to have one 13 pin equipped guitar and I'm planning in making the VG my only tone source.

musicman65

Never except when noodling with a non-GK guitar. I use the Pin 7 magnetic pickup signal through the 13 pin cable all the time.

bd

rolandvg99

I've used it every now and then, but mostly for my bass player to have some processing and speaker treatment when we travel light. GK Guitar on one channel and bass on the other using Guitar Input.

Another cool, often overlooked, feature is to run one channel from the main out to the Guitar Input to do Sim advanced parallel processing, or for using some outboard gear in your GK FX chain.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Bill Ruppert

I use it ALL the time.
I just did a thing for Toyota today using the mag input on many tracks.
It sound great!

papabuss

Bill, do we have the chance to listen to something?  ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

aliensporebomb

Here's a brief excerpt of an unfinished track with the working title of "Unhexed".

Beatbox, VG-99 bass (just a quickie I threw together) and the clean guitar is one of my hex patches using the quarter inch input.  It sounds totally different than the same patch with hex but still pretty cool.  Secret: the patch is uploaded here, see if you can guess which one.

Elantric

QuoteBill, do we have the chance to listen to something?

I hate to harp on about VGuitarforums members continually making these requests to Bill Ruppert to supply samples of his VG-99 work.

Please refrain from making these requests. For several reasons such requests fall under the Digital Rights Copyright act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
Remember these important facts:

* Bill Ruppert is a card holding AFL/CIO Union Session Player, hired to supply his performances to Copyrighted work.

* Copyrighted work belongs to the Copyright owner   

So when Bill offers that "I just did a thing for Toyota today using the (VG-99) mag input on many tracks", please realize this translates to Bill Ruppert used his VG-99 on a recent union recording session for major Radio/TV spots for Toyota Motor Corp.

http://www.toyota-global.com/

Even though Bill performed on these tracks for Toyota, he does NOT hold any authority to post the resulting audio tracks here.
In fact, if the timing is wrong, this would probably violate his union contract and get him into big trouble with both Toyota and the Chicago advertising agency who hired him. Bill may have performed on a dozen versions of the same commercial, but the production company and Toyota management ultimately retain the right to decide which version gets the final "OK"for final release. The other non used versions still remain property of Toyota.   

We remain honored to have a large population of working professionals participating here at VGuitarforums, please respect their efforts and privacy on sharing (or not sharing) their work. 
In this era of DRM, we MUST respect the rights of copyright owners , else we might find ourselves in big trouble.

Bill Ruppert

Thanks Steve

I dont have a mix anyway.
They send me a track and I add tons of parts and send individual tracks back.
I could never play it any way the client owns it.

That said the 1/4 inch in sounds great!
Hell the VG-99 is king.
Bill

aliensporebomb

Besides, you've probably heard Bill on the radio or tv and not been aware - there's lots of Toyota ads on both. 

Kevin M

And, really, the main point to consider - rather than listen to anyone's samples - is that there are many who do use the 1/4" input  and that it is a very viable option.

aliensporebomb

It just doesn't get a lot of attention because of all the (justifiably attention grabbing) poly fx stuff. 

I have found that on one of my guitars some of the distorted lead guitar patches sounds better than either with a GK2A or GK3 equipped guitars.  I have one guitar that doesn't sounds as good.  I find it has a lot to do with "what kind of mag pickups is the guitar fitted with?"

Low to medium output passives seem to do respond and track pick attach better than massive high output low impedance jobs (although there are exceptions).

Bryan

Thanks for all this info.

In the time after I started this thread I lucked out and scored a Parker Vernon Reid so I now have 13 pin capability.

But it's good to know that if I use another guitar with it there won't be a drop off.

Honestly my plan is to use the VG-99 as my primary tone source from here on out.

Kevin M

Those EMG's in your Parker should be allowed some playing time via the 1/4" jack from time to time!  :-)

arkieboy

I use the regular in a lot.

Right from the start I have to confess I don't use modelled electric guitars that much - I have some distinctive, nice guitars I have carefully chosen over the years that have the sounds I like: a couple of Gibsons and a couple of Patrick Eggle Berlins (one of which is a guitar controller), a Les Paul shaped Brian Moore (which is my other controller - SD pickups and coil taps in this one) and a very nice Strat.

(I use the acoustic simulations exclusively for writing and performing though, despite having some nice acoustic guitars.  I use the COSM synths a lot)

So for electric sounds, the VG99 is my big effects pedal and there is no doubt about it, when you do an A-B you loose tone when you connect your regular pups through the 13 pin cable alone.  Back in the day I used to have a regular guitar cable cable-tied to my CD24 and later to my 13 pin cable to overcome the ground loop and tone problems with the GR700/GM70/GR50.  I only used my VG88 for synth/acoustic sounds so I used a regular cable there too.  I haven't gigged my VG99 rig yet but I'm sure I'll cable tie a regular lead to the 13 pin one when I do.  I have an AB2 especially to switch between 13 pin and non 13 pin guitars ...

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

mbenigni

Quote from: Bryan on June 07, 2013, 08:25:14 PM
In the time after I started this thread I lucked out and scored a Parker Vernon Reid so I now have 13 pin capability.

Well there's one way to solve the problem!  Congrats!!

GovernorSilver

I always use that input.

With my 13-pin guitars, I like to have the "natural" tone of each guitar to work with, for patches that aren't outright synth patches or make use of alternate tunings.  One is a Parker Nitefly SSS and the other is a Reverend Jetstream 390.  The Parker has a focused tone and great sustain that is amazing for some VG-99 patches.  The Reverend has an an airier tone.

I also use that input with my acoustic viola (Bradivarus pickup).

aliensporebomb

I'd love to see some photos of the Parker Vernon Reid model - the 100 pounds gorilla of hexaphonic guitars IMO.

Kevin M

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 10, 2013, 07:54:03 PM
I'd love to see some photos of the Parker Vernon Reid model - the 100 pounds gorilla of hexaphonic guitars IMO.

There's mine...she's the white guitar - 13-pin stuff aside, it's the best built guitar I've ever owned

Bryan

Quote from: mbenigni on June 10, 2013, 06:35:47 AM
Well there's one way to solve the problem!  Congrats!!

Thanks!

It's truly a stunning guitar and I'm very fortunate to have found this one!

I guess I need to post some pics too.

erikbojerik

I sometimes use the 1/4" IN to connect my iPad and play Geo Synthesizer audio into the 99.

Other times I use the 1/4" OUT to send my mag pickup signal to my analog tube-amp rig.  Then with USB to my laptop running Apple's Mainstage (but using Amplitube as a plug-in, the MS models sound like crud to me), I get 2 COSM guitars, 1 analog guitar, and a number of Amplitube guitars limited only by CPU useage.  Very wall-of-sound.

This is using the VG-99 as an audio interface, but I also have the option of using my MOTU AI for output (24bit/96k) if I want more fidelity.

Big Jim

I use the guitar in as a way to mix in my Triple Play into my 99. Usually I A/B it to get a nice blend. Think Blackwater by the Doobies.