screw for gk3 pickup wire

Started by sean_b, March 02, 2013, 05:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean_b

just looked at my gk 3 and to my horror the screw was missing from the wire to the pick up and the wires were hanging out, anyone know the screw size i need, playing tonight so kinda need to try and source one now

cheers

Elantric

Its metric, perhaps Metric M2 x 3 screw
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-M2-0-4-x-3-mm-Phillips-Pan-Head-Machine-Screws-3-Pack-05158/202490376

Often its too small for Home Depot / Lowes) but possibly a well equipped hardware store may have a few.

Find a local Hobby shop that sells R/C trucks /  planes.

Bring your guitar in , and hopefully a friendly person there at the store can let you try various screws.

Side note rant: Here in USA, I never understood why the local  hardware stores have a limited amount of Metric screws, since all the Asian built stuff we own and breaks is all 100% Metric.)   Makes me think its a plan conspired to force us to buy new replacements when anything breaks, since very few folks even know how to fix broken things anymore. But I'm one of those who never accepted those "No User Serviceable Parts Inside" warning stickers.

gumtown

Don't use a screw that is too long,
I brought a non-working used GK-3 (didn't know it was broken at the time),
Some-one had replaced the screw with a selftapping screw, which had gone right through the cable.
The screw needs to be very short, an alternative might be glue.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

sean_b

must say was a real bummer. went to 2 hardware stores with no luck and by chance was near a local store, as if they could help, the dude has 1 wood type screw, not the machined which i thought it would be, it was about 15mm long and he cut it with snips about 3mm long and it worked a treat. got me through the gig so i am gonna put a wee dab of black paint under the head to fix it semi permanent.

steviejameswright

Mine vanished the first week so I super glued the little metal plate down and it's still seems to be holding on fine. I'll probably glue the next one I get as well!

jerrycali

try a hobby store for the screw or some one who fixes eyeglasses

ambassgray

I had the same thing happen, and found out that the hole for the screw was stripped which is why it fell out.  A little superglue worked wonders...

FreeTime

I found a short screw inside of a broken DVD player. If you haven't already, a dab of clear or black nailpolish will prevent your screw from coming loose. Too bad I didn't take my own advice, I also lost that screw.

A914Man

I lost that fastener too.  I sent an email to Roland asking the size and if I could buy a replacement.  They didn't know the size, but sent me a free replacement (thanks Roland :-*)!  I measured that tiny little screw, and it's a M2 x 3 button head Phillips.  From some of my searches, it looks like the best place to find one is at a hobby shop that deals in RC cars.  A dab of nail polish or super glue should keep it in place.
After only 37 years, I'm almost as good as I thought I was when I was 21

SixtiesSteve

Great advice, thank you. I ordered some M2x3 screws from Ebay for very little money. A perfect fit to replace the missing one on my GK3. I put a smear of Loctite blue on to stop it working loose again. 😁

philjynx

Any dead electronic stuff, printers, cameras, DVD drives, you name it, gets gutted by me. No shortage of wierd and wonderful screws and rods and motors.