External CTL Pedals

Started by Luke, July 27, 2009, 01:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Hi Guys!!
My name is Luke, I live in Oz and I've had my VG-99/FC-300 for about 8 months. I play covers full time as a solist and in a duo, with a Godin MultiAc Spectrum as my main workhorse feeding my VG with FC-300. Whilst using it for 6 months I have achieved most of what I thought I could do. One main drawback for me is that I dont know how to access "Manual" Mode. My duo partner uses a V-Bass, and on the unit itself there is a button labelled "Manual"  and when it is pressed, it turns the numbered pedals each into assignable "stomps." Just like what the 'Control 1 & 2' buttons do. I really need this feature so I only need a 1 or 2 main patches, but with these, have an abundant of different options. EG: when i am performing, I might want to turn on delay, mod1 and Mod 2, but then turn off the delay, then turn on an overdrive, then turn off mod 1 and activate the delay again etc.....all in the one patch. Because as I play almost nightly, I dont want to make entire patches individually to do this, as I change it around and mix it up every gig.....depending what is going on in my head!!
Does this make sense?? Has anyone else come across this problem too? Any help would be awesome cause I really want to unleash this thing!!!
Luke....

Macciza

G'Day Luke,
I'm up in the Blue Mtns near Sydney. Where are you??
Either get a bunch of extra switches - 6 can hang off the FC300 and assign them to switch individual effects on/off and there are the 2 on the FC and the 2 off the VG as well  and ExpSw for Wah etc. . .
Or else you can use ControlChange mode on the FC that lets the 1-5/6-10 buttons send CC's and you can assign them. Set up a footswitch to run Mode change and  you can change modes from Sysex/Control during the song . . .
Cheap switch setups can be made from parts from Jaycar - normally-closed switches needed . .
And yeah the other option (as mentioned by embers) is to get a midi controller of some sort - either footcontrol or hack a desktop model - and map those controllers as needed. This is the approach I am looking at for realtime general amp controls seperate to the F1-F6 assigns.
Cheers
Macciza
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Machh_2

Hi all ! plz i need a little help about this foot switch...

Some one knows if the FS-5U has the switch normally open or normally closed?
I downloaded the owner manual, but it does not explain how each side of the polarity switch works.
I wonder if the key thrown to the side of the connector means normally open or closed the pedal to the key ...

is what I'm needing to adapt another type of footswitch to replace an FS-5U ...

any help is welcome ...

tnx

Machh

Elantric

What are you connecting too?
Hint: the Owners manual for the VG-99 has very detailed instructions on the Boss FS-5u switch settings.

VG-99 Owners Manual Page 18

(They describe the FS-5U polarity switch as the  "Normally Closed" position in the pic below)

QuoteI'm needing to adapt another type of footswitch to replace an FS-5U ...

You should seek a Normally Closed Momentary footswitch
(Edit post to update confirmed status of FS-5U Polarity switch.)

Which Footswitch do I need? .. Latch or Unlatch?

GT-100 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)

GT-100 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down

GT-100 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down

GT-100 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status

gumtown

The "U" means it is an un-latched footswitch (momentary),
and the polarity switch should determine "nomally open" or "normally closed" (they don't specify which).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Machh_2

the problem is as follows:
loopstation I bought a Boss RC-2, and want to use external footswitch with it, but I will not buy the FS-5U, I have 2 footswitches generics (unbranded) and will modify them for use with loopstation.
The manual recommends using the polarity as shown in the picture, and I was wondering if this image is normally open or normally closed.
Then you say that the polarity is what is written in red?
Elantric, the footswitches that I have are like what you showed in the photo (Hosa footswitch) but mine are usually closed, so I'll have to reverse the connection of the internal switch pedal ...
thank you all for your help and for the tips ..

Machh

Elantric

Machh_2, your FS-5U pic indicates in Red that you need a Normally Closed momentary switch for the RC-2
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=891094
"FS-5U Polarity switch towards the jack results in normally closed operation."

But do these tests if you can:

1)If you have access to a real FS-5U, try the Polarity Switch in both positions, and confirm  which Polarity position works best with your Boss RC-2.

2)   Get a Ohm Meter and measure the Tip to Sleeve on the 1/4" plug -  verify the FS-5U Polarity Switch position for "Normally Closed" or Normally Open".

Put the Red OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Tip, and Black OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Sleeve.

The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Closed" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter without pressing the FS-5U with your foot.

The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Open" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter when pressing the FS-5U with your foot.

Machh_2

Quote from: Elantric on February 20, 2013, 08:27:08 PM

2)   Get a Ohm Meter and measure the Tip to Sleeve on the 1/4" plug -  verify the FS-5U Polarity Switch position for "Normally Closed" or Normally Open".
Put the Red OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Tip, and Black OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Sleeve.
The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Closed" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter without pressing the FS-5U with your foot.
The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Open" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter when pressing the FS-5U with your foot.

The best thing to do, are the tests that you suggested ... then stop and get breaking head with it ...
Is impressive is a basic and necessary information, and manual pedal FS5U not provide ...
when i get some results i will post here...

Elantric, thank you for your help, tips and information ... I really appreciate your help.

Elantric

New Boss FS-7 Dual Foot switch
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?
ProductId=1332

FS-7 Owners Manual
http://roland.com.br/assets/media/pdf/FS-7.pdf

NOTE - the actual production FS-7 used the "B" jack for the 1/4" TRS (A&B) connection

FS-7: Dual Footswitch

Space-Saving, Multifunctional Dual Footswitch

FS-7 is a compact dual footswitch for remote control of effect pedals or amp channel switching. Two footswitches are arranged in tandem, which saves space on effects pedal boards. Each A/B switch has two selectable modes for latch or momentary, enabling control of a wide range of equipment.

Dual footswitch in a small footprint
Latch/momentary switching function
Durable steel chassis
Battery-free operation ideal for pedal boards
Power via 9v adapter (power splitter included)
Operates as momentary switch with no power*
*LEDs will not illuminate without AC power.

---

Which Footswitch do I need? .. Latch or Unlatch?

GT-100 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)

GT-100 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down

GT-100 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down

GT-100 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status

homeby5

I just ordered a Boss GP-10 and I want a couple extra foot switches for turning on and off effects and controls, etc.... I notice Glenn DeLaune uses Boss Momentary Unlatch switches so I was going to buy these but is this the ones that are recommended for such things as adding a pedal tone or enabling something else? I assumed that I would want to "latch" an effect on or off but I must be wrong because he does it with the momentary "unlatch" switches.
Can someone educate me on this?

Thanks guys :)

Mrchevy

Yes. They are simply control switches. Their function is determined by settings on the switch itself and by what function you ASSIGN it in the GP-10 ASSIGNS.

LATCH = press once-on, then press again-off ( ex. clean/dirty channel select on guitar amp )

MOMENTARY = on while holding pedal down, off again once released ( like a keyboard sustain pedal ) or 1 time on/off signal (hit it once=on, hit it again= off)

FS-5U.... momentary, + or - polarity. NO led light. Doesn't need battery

FS-5L.... Latching, + or - polarity, but has led light. Needs battery for led light but functions as switch without battery like the FS-5U.

FS-6 ....   Same functions as above but can latch or momentary has 2 switches plus A/B switching. Has led lights. Needs battery. unplug cable when not in use or it will drain battery.

Also keep in mind that an ASSIGN may only need a MOMENTARY signal to turn it on or off rather than latching it. (ex. - turn chorus on= 1 momentary signal, turn chorus off= a second momentary signal.

The FS-5U or FS6, will likely serve all your needs as you can set the ASSIGN parameter in the GP-10 to toggle (latch) or moment (hold while pressed down, release when lifted.

See video
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

gumtown

It comes down to personal preference,
a non-latched footswitch gives great flexibility in control, as the assigns can be set to either latched or momentary actions, so you can toggle an effect onoff,
or have momentary action, effect on only while foot is on the pedal switch.

On the other side, a latched pedal with built in led light (such as the FS-6) will shown you at a glance if the foot switch and effect is 'on'.

Did you know that is if the footswitch is latched and an assign is set to latched (toggle) then the foot switch requires two presses to operate (a double toggle).

==

GP-10 assign  [toggle] + FS-6  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)

GP-10 assign  [toggle] + FS-6  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down

GP-10 assign  [moment] + FS-6  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down

GP-10 assign  [moment] + FS-6  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

homeby5

Thanks guys....I didn't realize that the effects could be programmed to latch on from a pulse (FS-5U) or a steady signal (FS-5L). I guess I will order a couple momentary switches with this new toy :)

CodeSmart

Quote from:  gumtown on December 28, 2014, 11:30:17 AM
On the other side, a latched pedal with built in led light (such as the FS-6) will shown you at a glance if the foot switch and effect is 'on'.

My problem with the LED has been that the state is invalid when you switch patch. Example: in patch #5 you turn on echo and the LED (and echo) is ON. Then you change patch to #6 and the darn LED is still on without the effect associated to it is on. That is confusing.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

Alec Lee

glennfin

Jim Williams

Hold on I expect Roland/Boss to come out with new colors this year. Don't buy anything until the new colors arrive.????

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

Boss FS-7 size next to GP-10

I love the design and in use I never "miss step" - as the foot pedals remain wider spacing than the width of my size 12 shoe 

--/
Yes. They are simply control switches. Their function is determined by settings on the switch itself and by what function you ASSIGN it in the GP-10 ASSIGNS.

LATCH = press once-on, then press again-off ( ex. clean/dirty channel select on guitar amp )

MOMENTARY = on while holding pedal down, off again once released ( like a keyboard sustain pedal ) or 1 time on/off signal (hit it once=on, hit it again= off)

FS-5U.... momentary, + or - polarity. NO led light. Doesn't need battery

FS-5L.... Latching, + or - polarity, but has led light. Needs battery for led light but functions as switch without battery like the FS-5U.

FS-6 ....   Same functions as above but can latch or momentary has 2 switches plus A/B switching. Has led lights. Needs battery. unplug cable when not in use or it will drain battery.

Also keep in mind that an ASSIGN may only need a MOMENTARY signal to turn it on or off rather than latching it. (ex. - turn chorus on= 1 momentary signal, turn chorus off= a second momentary signal.

The FS-5U or FS6, will likely serve all your needs as you can set the ASSIGN parameter in the GP-10 to toggle (latch) or moment (hold while pressed down, release when lifted.

See video

Ekus

Just got mine yesterday and i love it! Awesome having the LEDs too, great to look down and see if its on or not. Fits nicely on my pedal board .
Godin Koa XTsa, Alesis Alpha 112, Pro Tools 11

Toby Krebs

I need 6 of them lol!

I am about to have a local amp/pedal builder build me a Bright Onion style pedal for my Cube 80XL amp.
But I will still need some of these doggies!

greekjgg

Just got a FS7 today but this applies the GP10 as well. I have assigned effects to turn on/off when I hit the CTRL pedals. Not all of them are lighting up though. I know in the GR55 I had to actually tell it turn turn the LED on too if I wanted but I can't seem to find anything in the manual or Tone Central on how to do this.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

Suggest read the FS-7 manual

Its my understanding the LEDs only work when the FS-7 is set in Latch Mode

FS-7 Owners Manual

greekjgg

Quote from:  Elantric on February 05, 2015, 11:20:59 AM
Suggest read the FS-7 manual

Its my understanding the LEDs only work when the FS-7 is set in Latch Mode

FS-7 Owners Manual

What about for the GP-10 itself though? That is why I posted it in the GP10 section. Maybe its a two part question since the FS7 can only do it in latch mode? But I still can't figure out how on CTRL 1 or 2 either? The function works but can't get the LED to show up always.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

Obtain a 1/4" Stereo TRS cable  - connect to GP-10 EXT 3/4/EXP Jack,

NOTE - the actual production FS-7 used the "B" jack for the 1/4" TRS (A&B) connection

Most use the following as a reference for User Control Assignments with external pedals

Set the FS-7 switches in Latch Mode allows the LED indicators to report the current status 

GP-10 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)
GP-10 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down
GP-10 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down
GP-10 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status