VG-99 - Top Jimmy - 1984 Van Halen

Started by Smash, December 30, 2012, 09:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

So this is my first time posting a patch. I've had the VG99 over 2 years and only just installed the Editor software this weekend - well I was obviously inspired!

Using two custom guitars here to recreate the panning of the famous Kramer Ripley stereo guitar plus it's in open D7 tuning as per original.

It was programmed going into studio monitors with GK3 - all my sounds are set for line output to full range monitors. I run my sensitivities quite hot (44, 30, 35, 41, 59, 60) as I find the compressors and limiters in the VG simply don't work properly otherwise.

Demo is one take with guitar track muted in verse one to prove I'm not hiding behind Eddie's original sound. And yes, I can't for the life of me work out those twiddly verse turn arounds he does - I just fluffed them!

https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/top-jimmy-vg99-patch-demo

Hope it's usefull  ;D

There is no external processing whatsoever on the demo - it's VG99 usb audio link straight into Cubase and that's how it sounded.

Smash

In case anyone's interested, I made the backing track with Quik Quak's Mashtactic plug in. Just isolated the centre channel material which was Diamond Dave, Michael Anthony and most of Alex's drums.  ;)

cynegetic

Smash

Should just make it clear the lead break is still the Eddie Meister, not me

aliensporebomb

I just have to chime in - loving this, not sure if I like the patch more or your playing on that thing!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mrmobus2014

Excellent work on this, and excellent playing too.  You made me sign up to the site so I could download it (which I have).

Smash

thank you - very flattered! I only hope it lived up to expectations after download

mrmobus2014

Excellent.  There was a Ripley stereo guitar on Ebay a few months ago for £900.  Having a lot of fun playing with this patch.