Peavey AT-200 Autotune guitar...Tried it out.

Started by germanicus, October 26, 2012, 04:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

Just played one at a GC for about 30 minutes.

Chinese made guitar, ok quality. To be expected given price.

The tuning worked without noticeable warble.

I did have issues trying to get altered tunings in place. I fretted for a DADGAD tuning, and the high 'a' string didnt quite land properly. Im not sure why this was the case as I was under the impression that it continually analyzes and adjusts. This may have been due to the actual intonation of the guitar itself.

It does a decent job with bends, but theres sort of a resistance to pitch changes (understandably) which takes a little getting use to. I Imagine this could impact your vibrato technique.

I dont like how you are unable to uptune (digitally) a string without first tuning the string down, then fretting your alternate tuning offset, letting it pitch the strings to standard, then retuning the one string you want higher. It may be possible to do this easily with the future upgrade and break out box (as a stored preset), but the only way to uptune would be to physically tune the string once the altered tuning is set. For instance if I wanted to use a "CGCGCE", theres no way to presently do that with just its pitch shifting. Theres alot of tunings I use that require shifting upwards.

I went in thinking if i liked it I would pick it up as a backup for my JTV, but it didnt knock my socks off. Jury is still out for awhile. Its a little under half of what you would pay for a JTV, but its not really compelling in that you dont have stored tunings (not yet at least, and even when they implement that in the future, it requires extra external gear and midi Program changes), and no modelling to speak of as yet. Its also not anyone near as nice a guitar as a JTV.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Kevin M

Good information!  Maybe it's just the sign of a 1st version.  Other than the uptuning issue, how does the alternate tuning compare to the VG99?

oddguitar

Quote from: germanicus on October 26, 2012, 04:49:23 PM
Just played one at a GC for about 30 minutes.

Chinese made guitar, ok quality. To be expected given price.

The tuning worked without noticeable warble.

I did have issues trying to get altered tunings in place. I fretted for a DADGAD tuning, and the high 'a' string didnt quite land properly. Im not sure why this was the case as I was under the impression that it continually analyzes and adjusts. This may have been due to the actual intonation of the guitar itself.

It does a decent job with bends, but theres sort of a resistance to pitch changes (understandably) which takes a little getting use to. I Imagine this could impact your vibrato technique.

I dont like how you are unable to uptune (digitally) a string without first tuning the string down, then fretting your alternate tuning offset, letting it pitch the strings to standard, then retuning the one string you want higher. It may be possible to do this easily with the future upgrade and break out box (as a stored preset), but the only way to uptune would be to physically tune the string once the altered tuning is set. For instance if I wanted to use a "CGCGCE", theres no way to presently do that with just its pitch shifting. Theres alot of tunings I use that require shifting upwards.

I went in thinking if i liked it I would pick it up as a backup for my JTV, but it didnt knock my socks off. Jury is still out for awhile. Its a little under half of what you would pay for a JTV, but its not really compelling in that you dont have stored tunings (not yet at least, and even when they implement that in the future, it requires extra external gear and midi Program changes), and no modelling to speak of as yet. Its also not anyone near as nice a guitar as a JTV.

I tried the AT-200 at a GC yesterday as well (great minds think alike...).  I didn't have very much time with it either (only 20 minutes or so) and between the sound of the radio blaring and other people testing out gear in the store, I wasn't able to really evaluate the guitar properly (how GC can think that blaring loud music is somehow conducive to trying out gear is beyond me  ::) ).

I didn't notice any warble either.  The guitar is as good as a Chinese guitar can be, although I'm sure a good setup would vastly improve it.  As far as I could tell, there was no issue with palm-muting, which has me wondering how the system actually works.  I'm not sure whether the AutoTuned signal is simply the sound of the mags with the AutoTune system engaged, or if it is a modeled sound derived from the piezo elements in the bridge.  I'm leaning towards the first scenario, because otherwise palm-muting would have been a problem like it is on the JTV.

The alternate tunings I tried worked fine, although I didn't get around to trying out DADGAD.  As far as uptuning, I'm guessing the only way to do that will be with the breakout box & Antares upgrades that will be available.

I didn't notice any issues with bending or vibrato, but again it was lound & I didn't have a lot of time.  I'm planning to go back on Sunday and directly compare it to the JTV & GR55....so stay tuned for a more comprehensive review.

-oddguitar

oddguitar

Well, I went back to two Guitar Centers and compared the JTV Variax, GR-55 & Peavey AT-200.

First the AT-200:  I tried out 3 different AT-200's, and I have to say that they are very average instruments (although to be expected at $499, a big chunk of which is paying for the AutoTune hardware, software and licencing to Antares).

After getting to try the AT-200 in a quiet environment, I too noticed the same tuning issues that Germanicus noted.  I even made videos to document this flaw.  It happened with all three AT-200's, so I'm sure it's not an isolated case.  I'm sure it is a software glitch, but the G and B strings were not at all in tune when I tuned the guitar to any other tuning other than standard tuning and drop D.  Other people have experienced the same problem according to reports I've read on some other forums, including the AutoTune Guitar forum.  This is especially ironic since this is an AutoTune guitar......I wouldn't want to be the person in charge of QC at Peavey/Antares right now!
http://autotuneforguitar.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/23-upcoming-products/
Also disconcerting was the fact that within minutes of playing one of these guitars, the pickup selector switch stopped working in the AutoTune mode.  It also had a loose MIDI in connector.  The AutoTuned tone of the guitar was much lower in volume, and suffered from the same sort of palm-muting issues as the Variax, which is due to the use of the piezos and a modeled guitar sound.  Switching between the magnetic sound and the AutoTune sound doesn't even sound like the same guitar in terms of tone and volume.  I'm rather disappointed that Antares decided to go the piezo sound route instead of digitally correcting the magnetic sound of the guitar, much in the same way that AutoTune for vocals pitch corrects the actual voice being recorded.  My guess is that this was a concession for making alternate tuning possible, however I would have much prefered a system that pitch corrected the original magnetic guitar tone and provided perfect intonation up and down the neck, even if it meant having to give up the ability to alternate tune.

I compared a few JTV Variax's to the AT-200's and they are by far a much higher quality instrument.  However, on one of the JTV's I tried the model selector light would not light up, so you weren't sure which model was selected, and on another JTV pressing the model selector knob down to turn the modeling off only worked if I pressed down on it with all my might.  Granted, this is Guitar Center, but still, to have 2 out of 4 have problems is a pretty poor ratio (especially considering all the problems other owners have posted on forums about).  There was also a very significant tonal difference between the magnetic sound and the modeled sounds of the JTV, and palm-muting didn't work as usual.  In the end, I starting asking myself how much sense it makes to buy a modeling guitar, rather than outboard modeling gear ala Roland GK.  The JTV is a decent guitar, but no where in the same league as my Suhr, Grosh, TAG and Tyler guitars.  Why should I play an inferior instrument just so I can have alternate tunings and acoustic sounds at my disposal?  Why spend good money on a guitar that will be completely obsolete once Variax 3 comes out?  This line of thinking has made me conclude that outboard guitar modeling like Roland offers is probably the best solution since you can install the GK-3 on any guitar you want and continue to use it with future Roland GK gear.

I haven't completely ruled out the JTV, because I do like how it interfaces with the HD500, but I'm definitely leaning towards Roland at this point.

I can also say with confidence that I will not be getting an AT-200.  However, Antares just updated the AutoTune for Guitar website and it appears they will be offering the hardware as a retrofit kit (http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Luthier_Custom_Kits_2) as well as a floor pedal which will work with any hex-pickup equipped guitar including the GK-3 (http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Auto-Tune_for_Guitar_Floor_Pedal_1).  This is exciting news, since it opens up Roland GK users to the Antares modeling world.  With a US-20 you could switch between Roland GK products and the Antares modeling/Autotuning products!

Sorry for the rambling, but I figured I'd share my experiences.  I made videos of both the AT-200 and JTV, so if someone can explain to me how to post videos on here, I can post them.

Cheers,

-oddguitar

cynegetic

>>AutoTune for Guitar website and it appears they will be offering the hardware as a retrofit kit

This. Could be awesome.

zeusdaddy

I used the Peavey AT-200 at a gig Saturday night.  It was outdoors and unseasonably cold...about 45 degrees. The auto tuning was amazing..stayed in tune all night. Other guitar player complained all night, he couldnt keep his strat in tune. He changed his mind about my autotune "piece of crap".  Ha Ha Ha!!!!

TPguitarman

Quote from: zeusdaddy on May 28, 2013, 01:15:47 PM
I used the Peavey AT-200 at a gig Saturday night.  It was outdoors and unseasonably cold...about 45 degrees. The auto tuning was amazing..stayed in tune all night. Other guitar player complained all night, he couldnt keep his strat in tune. He changed his mind about my autotune "piece of crap".  Ha Ha Ha!!!!

that statement "piece of crap" thing is for closeminded haters.....

I have this guitar gigging different temperature/climate changes and its pass the gig with flying colors........Very awesome technology so I wonder why many haters are putting this down.....

Elantric

IF there are any Antares AutoTune AT-200 owners out there - They are having a three day special

Three Days Only: Get 50% off Auto-Tune for Guitar Feature Packs!

To celebrate the arrival of a fresh new year, we're offering a special three-day opportunity to turbo-charge the capabilities of your Peavey AT-200 with one of our Auto-Tune for Guitar Software Feature Packs and save 50% in the process. Each feature pack adds a combination of alternate tunings, doublings, guitar models and much more. Details here.

The special prices are as follows:

The Essential Pack: $49.50 (regularly $99)
The Pro Pack: $99.50 (regularly $199)
The Complete Pack: $149.50 (regularly $299)
To get your feature pack, just click the Buy button below. No coupons or discount codes necessary. But remember, this special is only good until midnight (PST), Wednesday, January 15th, so don't procrastinate.

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=22522229&msgid=697057&act=0UMW&c=154216&destination=https%3A%2F%2Ftransactions.antarestech.com%2Fatgconnect%2FGuitarProducts.aspx

===

Typically this type action is an indicator something new for guitar from Antares will be announced at 2014 Winter NAMM  - and they may be clearing out old stock to make way for the latest thing. 

JolietJake

Elantric

In USA , I've seen same guitar occasionally go on sale for $199 -

These Peavey AT-200's are import guitars with Antares DSP tech are 2years old now,  and build quality varies quite a lot. Some are as good as a Squier and some are rather dreadful. If you order online, you take a gamble.

It's best to find a dealer with several and play them all to find the one that's worth owning. 

Or have good Setup skills to adjust Neck, file Nut slots , intonate bridge and level the frets on a mail order example that requires TLC and needs a little work to become playable.

If you prefer thin necks - you will be rewarded.

( myself I prefer thick necks)

JolietJake

"you order online, you take a gamble. "

Good advice, but you can say this of any guitar. I have bought a new Fender Strat online that was unplayable on arrival and which took months of tinkering with until I was happy with it.

It's the gamble to take to potentially save a bundle.

mapletop

anyone know how to save a preset on the at 200

cags12

Without Software Manager (easiest) - To save a preset, hold down the String Tune button, pluck String 1, fret 21 or higher to get the preset save mode beep, then pluck the fret you want to assign the preset to get the preset saved beep.