Peavey Muse Box

Started by imall41, May 01, 2012, 06:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imall41

I don't know if this is old news, but just noticed that the Muse box has finally been released. $999.

I had been checking now and then, but it seems to have snuck in under my nose.

I have been distracted by my KPA.

http://www.peavey.com/products/keyboard/soundmodules/musebox/index.cfm/item/118107/number/03587190/MuseBox.cfm

Here's the Manual,
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/118107_16110.pdf

Here's the software Manual,
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/118107_16184.pdf

Preset List,
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/additional/118107_16807.pdf

Elantric

cell7

Now what would be really interesting is to see how well this plays with the vg99. I would like to connect audio via usb [effectively making a post-cosm/pitch audio FX loop to run through revalver, bitcrushers etc] and at the same time connect the midi out to the synths in the musebox.

Sounds like the 2 together would give almost unlimited sonic potential... now we wait to see if it will get some sort of impulse modelling or tone-matching software options to be REALLLLLY interesting :D

cell7

Note: "Device Compliant USB MIDI devices" are required for use with MuseBox. All compliant USB
MIDI devices are "plug and play" devices that do not require additional drivers or software to work.
If the device requires special software to be installed, the USB MIDI hardware may still work, but it
is not guaranteed to work with MuseBox since those types of devices are not "device compliant."

Hmmm - that doesnt look encouraging. The rolands will most likely not work well...

Elantric

QuoteI would like to connect [VG-99's USB Audio Out] [ to MuseBox's USB Audio input]
QuoteNote: "Device Compliant USB MIDI devices" are required for use with MuseBox. All compliant USB
MIDI devices are "plug and play" devices that do not require additional drivers or software to work.
If the device requires special software to be installed, the USB MIDI hardware may still work, but it
is not guaranteed to work with MuseBox since those types of devices are not "device compliant."

Hmmm - that doesnt look encouraging. The rolands will most likely not work well...

FWIW - here is the current list of USB Audio Class Compliant gear that works with Linux
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/current_audio_gear

The Roland[Cakewalk (=Edirol, =Roland)] - UA-25, UA-25 EX (USB-1.1) works.

It may be worth trying the VG-99 with Linux , AFTER you set the USB Driver Mode to "Standard" Mode ("Advanced" = ASIO Driver Mode)

cell7

ah cool. I have a few of those interfaces listed, and the fact that the edirol stuff works may be a good indicator...
Ill wait and see once these become a little more common. For me the level of success will be based on whether enough 3rd party vsts and vstis are made available.

Yug

A few weeks ago I decided to give the MuseBox a try. There are some great sounds and I was hoping to be able to use some of my own samples but it can't be done, even with the CF card.
This unit does work up to a point with the VG99 or GR55 but the data needs thinning. Latency on the audio in to out is nearly unacceptible so I'll be tolerant. The MuseBox cpu is not very powerful and it is quite easy to overload it with certain combinations of VSTis you one needs to be wary of being too over indulgent.
My 1st Musebox had to be replaced after a couple of weeks because it started behaving irrationally; Passive mix stopped working, one of the synths generated garbage, the midi in failed, etc etc. The dealer deemed the unit to be faulty so it was replaced. The new unit still fails its midi input so a usb midi interface is the only option, and it still overloads too easily etc etc.
It does a very good mellotron chior and does sport a great range of tones and effects although one allways wants more, given the frustration that many of the tools are 'Lite' versions so the good bits are missing. These can't be updated just like everything else in the Musebox.
I wish I'd never come across the Musebox as it only purports to be what is claimed, with mouthwatering dissappointment. Peavey scrimped way too much on this.
Perhaps I should have gone straight to the Receptor 2, but if Peavey is happy to launch the rather warty MuseBox, then I doubt I could expect the expensive Receptor 2 to be a shining ray of light.

Elantric

Yug,

Thanks for the review of Peavey Musebox

in 2014, an Ipad AIR 2 128GB would make a better platform for SoftSynths and Amp Sims

Mrchevy

This is good to know. I was very interested in this a while back but elected to pass. (thank God). Your pain, my gain.....as the saying goes. Sorry for your troubles and disappointment. I ended up getting the free softsynth Alchemy Player from Camel Audio. I haven't tinkered with it much using my GR55. If I recall, there was some minor latency, but not bad. Could have been my setup also. Mostly noticeable with quick attack type presets, but I use it mostly for ambient/ soundscape type stuff so no issues for me. Awesome presets. I was basically looking for a rompler to use with my keyboard controller and find it well worth the money I didn't spend on it. They also have an extensive library to add thousands of presets. Free version comes with 200 presets. Each library has between 150 to i think as much as 200/250 and run about $60 each.  One of these days I'll splurge and get the full version. Thanks for the review and reassuring my decision.

http://www.camelaudio.com/AlchemyPlayer.php
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

the Peavey MuseBox is now 4 years old and being blown out @ $199

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MuseBox
but read the recent reviews (buyer beware)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MuseBox/reviews

QuoteLen Dobrzyn
from NE PA
July 21, 2016
Music Background:
Former pro / now weekend warrior
OVER-RATED FOR SURE

Where do I start??? When this thing came out, they made this awesome claim that it was compact with 800mb pianos!! Well, who wouldn't go for that! I bought one! Don't plan on using it on stage.. If you kick the cord out you're screwed! It takes you about a half a song length to reload one of those pianos! And while we're on the subject, when you play a fast run, the latency is slower than my rack mount syths.. There seems to be a slight delay between the hit of the key, and the sounding of the instrument!

So I decided what the hell, use it for the studio.. But you know what? I have 15MB sounds on my Korg, Yamaha Motif ES, and Roland Fantom sound modules that in most cases sound every bit as good and some even better. In my opinion, most of the strings, and horns are cahcah.

And now for the final nail in the coffin. Peavey as you know, now produces all of its instruments in China! They used to be American made, and you could drop an amplifier off a cocktail bar table (actually did that one time by accident of course), and they'd still work.. Not anymore! gone way downhill!

And this instrument is right there with that analogy. Now, if you're going to put out a virtual instrument like this, you would think there would be a marketing area to sell you more patches etc to load in... Well Peavey and Muse do a tag-team on passing the buck as to whose responsible for this NOT HAPPENING! And there's NO SUPPORT!!! The truth is.. Peavey almost abandoned the product right after it came out like a red headed step child! And Muse, they won't support it either! They're too busy with their RECEPTOR line. But there again, I had one of those too.. Don't get me started on that!

Please understand that I'm just one person and this is my measly opinion on these.. You may love them! I DON'T!! I use many rack syths live and reproduce complete orchestration with an ROLAND A-70 and a midi patch bay containing several more rack synths. Because orchestration is important for what I do, I spend hours tweaking patches to make them sound as real as possible and when you close your eyes, my sax sounds like a tenor or bari! My orchestration sounds like the Boston Philharmonic! (You can't really do that with the MUSEBOX... or can but not effecient and accurately in my opinion.) If you're doing the same, you're better off to do as I do and stay away from this product.. But if your a studio buff, and don't really care that it doesn't sound realistic, then buy one!

One more point--- I have honestly never delved into the guitar effects, so I cannot comment on them or how good they are or yet easy to use.. If you're buying tor guitar, it may/may not tickle your fancy! I may sound a bit whiney, but hey, if you're putting out a product, support it, like Roland, Korg, or the other giants in the industry! Don't play hide the salami with your customers!.. Sweetwater is a great company and takes good care of you.. I mean no disrespect to them.. I love Sweetwater!! good gigging guys!

QuoteScott
from NYC
April 14, 2016
Music Background:
Sound Engineer
Dont waste your money on Muse research products

Muse research had a good idea but a horrible plan to execute. After owning this and this for a few years now i feel like it was a bad investment. For starters their system is very buggy, it crashes a lot and Updates for vst's and OS's are outdated and lag far far behind the industry. They seem to have a hard time keeping up. Customer support is a joke and they usually wont help you unless you pay a $200 support fee that only lasts one year. I would stay away from muse research products especially if you're into keeping up to date on your vst's.
[/i]