Variax in a pedal with 13pin input?

Started by code103s, January 25, 2012, 05:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Just to add an update to this thread

IMHO if you seek the best "Variax in a pedal with 13pin input" type product in 2014 - look here:

Boss GP-10
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10782.0

aliensporebomb

Might I add I am very surprised at the rather affordable cost of the ATG-1.  For some reason I thought the price was in the $1500 USD range when I first looked into it.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

( . )( . )

Is the ATG-1 much better than the GP-10 at instrument modeling? I know it's got the auto tune, alt tuning, etc, but do the instruments sound better and are the as many or more instruments? I'm pretty happy with the GP-10. especially for the price.

Majiken

From a short test of the ATG-1 which convinced me to buy the luthier kit, I would say the sounds of the models are better- somehow clearer and for reasons I can't describe, with a more natural "feel" than the GP-10. I wouldn't say "much" better, but for me the difference is clearly noticeable. The ATG doesn't have nearly as many models, there are only 3 steelstring acoustics, missing are the nylons (I hope they add that sometime!), sitar, banjo, reso.... For me the real selling point is that the ATG is almost warble-free when letting alternate tuned sounds decay over a longer period of time- when I do that on a GP-10 with a 12-string acoustic tuned down a whole step I am bound to get some chinese choir going softly in the background after maybe 5 seconds of holding a chord- I actually find that kinda funky, but the audience will notice that as neither normal nor natural.

I find the modeled sounds of the GP-10 in general quite useable (excepting banjo & reso), including live. As I prepare to order the ATG luthier kit, I am pondering the possibility of splitting the hex signal to allow both ATG modeled output via normal 1/4" jack (wireless!!!!) and 13-pin output so I can access my GP/GR gear, hopefully in parallel.  Also note that the ATG-1 has a major footprint and no amp modeling like the GP-10; IMHO if you stick to standard tunings and don't suffer from warbling issues, the GP-10 will be absolutely sufficient for your needs.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

( . )( . )

Quote from: Majiken on October 06, 2016, 12:54:57 AM
From a short test of the ATG-1 which convinced me to buy the luthier kit, I would say the sounds of the models are better- somehow clearer and for reasons I can't describe, with a more natural "feel" than the GP-10. I wouldn't say "much" better, but for me the difference is clearly noticeable. The ATG doesn't have nearly as many models, there are only 3 steelstring acoustics, missing are the nylons (I hope they add that sometime!), sitar, banjo, reso.... For me the real selling point is that the ATG is almost warble-free when letting alternate tuned sounds decay over a longer period of time- when I do that on a GP-10 with a 12-string acoustic tuned down a whole step I am bound to get some chinese choir going softly in the background after maybe 5 seconds of holding a chord- I actually find that kinda funky, but the audience will notice that as neither normal nor natural.

I find the modeled sounds of the GP-10 in general quite useable (excepting banjo & reso), including live. As I prepare to order the ATG luthier kit, I am pondering the possibility of splitting the hex signal to allow both ATG modeled output via normal 1/4" jack (wireless!!!!) and 13-pin output so I can access my GP/GR gear, hopefully in parallel.  Also note that the ATG-1 has a major footprint and no amp modeling like the GP-10; IMHO if you stick to standard tunings and don't suffer from warbling issues, the GP-10 will be absolutely sufficient for your needs.

Thanks for the detailed response. I generally play in standard tuning or a 1/2 step down, with a few exceptions for specific songs. I do; however, mostly use modeled instruments instead of my strat pickups (which sound good btw). I'm overall quite happy with the GP-10, especially now that I can control it via MIDI, thanks to Codesmart.

All that said, I'd love to try out an AT-1, but I've never seen one in a store around here.