vg-99 or gr-55?

Started by tonyknight, July 07, 2011, 09:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Quote from: Elantric on July 07, 2011, 10:01:50 AMIf you are primarily recording at home, and want the largest sonic palette of traditional non guitar instruments, and do not mind making overdubs or recording at half speed due to occasional glitches - get the GR-55

If you are a perfectionist and want zero tracking problems, and want to perform live ( with no glitches) - get the VG-99.

That's how I'd sum it up.

You can get synth-ish sounds, including great pads, with a VG-99, and avoid all tracking probs.

Tonato

Interesting topic.

Having a VG99 and a GR33 I wonder: Synth wise, how does the GR55 compares to the GR33? I don't mean about COSM modelling etc, as I have the VG99 which I believe it is superior to the 55, but regarding pcm/midi/synth capabilities (which is actually what is possible to compare with the GR33), how would you compare the palette and sound quality of the GR55 to the Gr33?

There is a part of me that believes that GR33 could have been much better. It is such a great concept but hasn't been developed very in depth in my opinion.

I have a roland xp30 keyboard, which was released in 1999, one year before the GR33 (2000) and the sound quality, synth capabilities and sound pallets is MUCH deeper than the GR33.

I wondered why roland did not use the same synth engine/capabilities of the xp30 to the GR33 as a foot controller for the GK.

I mean, In my opinion the development of the GR33 does not reach the level of what the concept means. It is like having a GREAT idea but explaining it badly, if you know what I mean....

Regards!

asb2m10

GR-55/VG-99 owners:

When I got the GR-55, I wanted a decent guitar to midi device and I thought that my synths (I have too much stuff that I cannot sell anymore cause it is too vintage) + computer sampler solution would be perfect for the job. After one week, I've got tired and left the GR-55 in a box.

One year later, I actually digged into the GR-55 and found the COSM models to be pretty fun to play with.

While I'm a keyboard guy, I've always loved the horizontal/vertical domain of the guitar and add to that the fact that the COSM model actually shape sound on the way you play, something that midi cannot (yet) model. COSM is a very interesting technology; I know I'm late. That said, once you get into COSM models, the VG-99 seems to become the ultimate machine.

Now my dilemma: I know about window opportunity and Roland are about the worst at this.... Even with their most iconic synth product (TR-808, Jupiter-8), they cannot leverage the legacy of those 30+ years later. Today, I'm afraid that the VG-99 will join this group.

Should I wait for a possible VG-100 or find a used VG-99 now since price will go up ???

If it is a 1 year time frame, I'm okay with this; the VG-99 will be 9 years old and 9 years old for a DSP machine is quite udge.... otherwise  :'(

supernicd

I don't think anyone here really knows if there will be another flagship successor to the VG-99 someday.  Frankly, I don't know if Roland knows at this point.

I was asking myself this same question about a year and a half ago, and today there is still no VG-100.  So no regets on my VG-99 purchase.  [I figure if anything were going to trigger a device becoming completely obsolete, me purchasing it would do the trick.  ;) ]

It will really be interesting to see what happens to the price of the 99 as it becomes more "vingtage", especially if no VG-100 is ever created.  In my opinion, if you pick any one thing that the VG-99 can do, there is a product that can now do it better.  But when you look at everything the VG-99 can do, and how seamlessly all those pieces integrate together, and the amazing amount of control you have over all of them, it still has no equal.  Perhaps it never will...  I'm keeping mine. :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------