Rocket 88 band circa 1979 - 2 live sets of covers recorded with Sony Boombox

Started by Elantric-fgn, September 26, 2009, 02:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Elboy

Elantric.  Great recording.  All parts seem very well mixed and clear.  Loving the guitar on the first track and great take on the Beatles tracks.  I think the drummer is well tight however the whole band are.  Great focals as well.  1979 Whats the story with the band?  I have Googled Rocket 88 and there are several by the same name. Screaming solo in ticket to ride is well cool ;-)
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

Elantric-fgn

Rocket 88 was a band I helped put together in LA in the late 70's with Bruce Bossert, a bass player who had recently moved to LA with a nearly finished album from his Nashville band "the Kick band" that broke up months earlier. I called my buddy Jeff Nadeu who became our singer/ keyboard player, and then we went thru stream of 4 drummers as we toured the southwest US  - performing 1 set of originals and 3 sets of covers, booked into the college bar circuit. The band lasted about 3 years, eventually imploded when Bruce headed to Nashville for Christmas and never returned, despite 3 months of pre booked gigs awaiting in California. Since we spent most of our time out on the road, we became immune to the LA punk explosion that was happening around us. I suppose the conflict within the band was style - Jeff and I wanted more New Orleans / Lowell George "Little Feat" grooves - while the rest of the band wanted to be Ratt / Poison.

On this recording, our last drummer Ray Love, replaced Bobby Blotzer - who departed  to join Ratt.

Our drummer prior to Bobby was Jerry Hertig - who prior to joining our band, was in the same band as Adrian Belew when Frank Zappa discovered him performing in a St Louis Bar band.

Prior to Rocket 88 I played in bands with Cliff Martinez, who later went on to play with Captain Beefheart, The Dickies, Red Hot Chile Peppers - Cliff currently resides in NYC - and composes film scores for Stephen Soderberg. ( Sex, Lies, Videotape, Traffic)

The recording above was recorded from the balcony overlooking the dance floor by a 1977 Sony Boombox with internal stereo Mics - facing the stage - capturing exactly what the crowd heard.  Our PA was a pair of self powered Altec Lansing 15" bi-amp cabs, a Heil 10 channel mix board. I'm bouncing between a '61 Strat and a '73 Les Paul into a Orange Squeezer - occasional MXR Distortion +, Electric Mistress flanger into a 1966 Vox AC 30 head feeding a Altair Power Attenuator into a dummy load. the Line out of the ALtair feeds a modified Ampeg V4 100 watt head driving a 4 x 12 Ampeg V2 cab  - this Ampeg head had essentially 2 footcontrolled relays - to enable 2 different  master volumes - so I could boost the volume for solos - and not change my "tone" - the V4 preamp fed a Univox tape Echo, which fed an Ampeg VT40 60 watt 4x10 amp - which was  strictly used as an echo return amp. I was happy with my sound - but I doubt I would lug that big of  rig today.

For example  - yesterday I played a 3 hour gig with my Gretsch 6120 feeding a pedal board with a Barber Tone Press compressor, Tube Screamer, Marshall Guvn'r Plus, Boss LS-2 ( as a clean boost), danelectro tremolo, Line 6 Echo Park, into a Roland Cube 60 set on a Fender Blackface setting.  Got rave reviews for  my tone.

But hey Ive been at this a while - 80% is still in your fingers and your own attitude, and ability to find the groove, and stay out of other peoples way when they are singing or soling.   
Lots of stories -best left for my spinal tap biography - currently being written.

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

photonutalan1-fgn

Hi Elantric,
Your life "blows me mind everytime!" You've certainly had a colorful and varied career; a man of many talents indeed! Thanks for sharing and caring; you make a great difference! May you enjoy continued success and fulfillment! ;D ;D ;D

Elboy

Elantric, I am stunned you can remember the set up! I am going to post an older recording but it's is taking me ages to remember what the hell I used ha ha. It was in 1990 and iam trawling through my old notes from the studio. You managed to get a cracking recording with your methods. Very impressive, however I am now very nervious ha ha
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp