Using the unit with a bass guitar...real world aplications

Started by mty_xyz, December 06, 2022, 05:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mty_xyz

Is anyone using the VG55 as a modeling effects unit for their bass guitar.  I mean modeling real world bass guitar sounds here without the synth sounds as clever as they are. I know the lead guitar sounds are astounding.... so Im assuming there must be some bass players out there that use it.

glynndub

DreamTheory

Sure.

I use my GR-55 with a real bass that has a GK-B bass pickup. I usually start with the "Basic Bass" patch (through a bass amp model) and then go from there depending on the needs of the song. My real bass is a beginner level $125 Agile bass, so the GR-55 bass models sound better than the real bass, but blending can be nice.

A 6 string guitar in guitar mode can be used as a bass and it sounds great, but feels silly. Having a real bass just feels proper and evokes actual bass playing. You can get away with using a 6 string for bass when recording, but it looks kinda dorky live.

I'm pretty sure that if you do not have a GK-B you can plug a real bass into the normal pickup input on your 6 string GK-3 and it will work just fine.

The GR-55 does indeed offer realms of mind-bending weirdness, and the bass mode is stocked with all sorts of oddities that will get your creativity going, but honestly, I use the straightforward real-world simulating stuff more than the far-out stuff. It works great and gets compliments from bass players who use real gear and know nothing of GR-55. After all, how different is a recorded bass amp from a simulated bass amp, if it's just playing a support role in a mix? Real is always better, but considering cost, convenience, and the purpose at hand, the sim may be quite adequate, and even better than your minimal requirements.

As with many things on GR-55, one single parameter change might not seem that dramatic, but used in tandem with other choices you can build distinctive tones. Is a raw simulated P bass super different from a raw simulated violin bass? Not really- you have to make choices with EQ, compression, and amp settings etc. If you know the feel of the real instrument, that will help you use the sim.

I hope you have fun with your GR-55. It can do a little bit of just about anything

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

abbaby

I love the GR55 for recreating pop tunes that use bass, keys, pads.