used GK-3 w/GR-55 having wildy different per-string sensitivity

Started by Jim Buck, November 16, 2022, 02:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Buck

I bought this used and was already installed on an Ibanez RG-2XXV guitar (which I also bought, of course :) ). After not getting similar volumes between the strings, I adjusted everything per GR-55 and GK-3 manuals.

The largest problem is that the A string is basically non-existent. I have to pluck super-hard to get anything to register at all. The upper E/B strings are fairly weak. G is somewhat normal, and low E and D are insanely loud compared to all the others. No amount of GR-55 sensitivity adjustments fully correct this, and between adjusting the radius of the sensor to this guitar's neck radius and adding spacers so that the sensor is proper height (and I even went slightly higher just to try to that the A closer to at least hear *something*), I am still of the opinion that the device may need replacement.

Am I doing something wildly wrong, or are these known to flake out over time? This is a used unit, and I am just starting to use it after buying it earlier this year, so there is that.

And if I do need a new sensor, can one just buy the hex pickup, or does one need to fork over for a whole new GK-3 unit ($200), and if I need to do that anyway, should I go for a new cable ($50)?
Former video game developer, turned autonomous vehicle developer. Learned guitar as a teen and recently picked it back up to be serious about it.

gumtown

My 2c is to do a Factory Reset on the GR-55 (in the system menu),
 then try a new 13 pin GK cable,
 and clean the connectors on the GK plugs and sockets with "DEOXIT" electronic/connector cleaner.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jim Buck

First thing I did before starting to use this was a factory reset to clear out any settings from the person I bought this from. :( That would have otherwise been a great insta-fix. I'll do it one more time just as a sanity test.

So, the cable might be the more likely culprit than the pickup itself? It's the cheaper option, so I would be delighted if that would be more likely. :)

Where specifically to apply the DEOXIT? I'm a n00b with this, so what exactly are the plugs and sockets? I assume where the 1/4" instrument cable and 13-pin cable enter the GK-3? (And if so, what about the little rectangular sensors themselves?)
Former video game developer, turned autonomous vehicle developer. Learned guitar as a teen and recently picked it back up to be serious about it.

gumtown

on the pins of the 13 pin cable, and a little in the 13 pin socket of the GK-3 and the GR-55, then plug the GK cable in & out many times while still damp with the cleaner solution before it evaporates.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jim Buck

@gumtown - thanks for the advice! I did get the Deoxit, and even though this site was down, I had remembered what you said about plugging in/out the cable while it still had the Deoxit on it, and that pretty much did the trick, thanks! The A string now sounds as loud as the others. The high E string is still slightly weak, even after re-calibrating everything, but it's totally usable.

That said, I did end up buying a new GK-3 and cable, and I'll keep those as backups, or maybe wire up a 2nd guitar (and I am eyeballing a SY-1000 in the longer term, and it also uses the GK-3, so that would be pretty sweet). But it was great to see the spray Just Work(tm), though I must admit that I was slightly skeptical that would really work that well. :)