Noise / slop!?

Started by Chrismiami, September 19, 2023, 09:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrismiami

I'm finally playing my GR-300 and I cannot believe how awful I sound on it. There is so much string noise and resonant tones and unmuted sounds I can barely hear the notes I'm actually trying to play! I had no idea my playing sucked that much!

Am I really that horrible or are there tricks I need to learn to minimize the noise?

Elantric

Chrismiami

Yeah I love those! What I'm experiencing is the need to mute all the strings constantly! If I could tone down the sensitivity like on the GR-33 that might help.

Meanwhile, I sound like a four year old strumming and trying to play a melody at the same time. It's awful!

Elantric

What 24 pin pickup ?

What adapter for GK 13 are you using ?

It might be too much gain vs a genuine 1981 Roland G808 / G303 guitar.

Rolloq

Chrismiami

Quote from: Elantric on September 20, 2023, 01:23:04 PMWhat 24 pin pickup ?

What adapter for GK 13 are you using ?

It might be too much gain vs a genuine 1981 Roland G808 / G303 guitar.

I'm using a Roland G-303 with a Roland cable into a Roland GR-300, with synth/mix output into a FocusRite Scarlet 2i4. I use headphones plugged into the Scarlet.

There is some line noise, probably lack of grounding. But the "noise" I'm concerned with is caused by my playing.

gumtown

Quote from: Chrismiami on September 21, 2023, 04:07:52 PMThere is some line noise, probably lack of grounding. But the "noise" I'm concerned with is caused by my playing.

This will cause a problem on any GK system, if the grounding is bad,
 or external interference and hum get into the hexaphonic signal,
 there will be mis-trigger galore.

In a GK hex input, the noise may not be heard as an audible hum or hiss, but manifest as a ghost trigger or stuck note.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

IMH1234

Based on your description this may well be an issue of 40 yr old equipment needing some care from a qualified tech but there are too many variables to be sure from what you have written. If you could post a recording of the noise you are getting it might help someone here diagnose what is happening better.

In the meantime try running the unit on a closed system - i.e. just Guitar-GR300-amp. All plugged in to the same power strip. Nothing else attached or connected anywhere - Drop the audio interface, headphones, computer etc as these can create issues with older gear. Is the problem still there? If so then there are really only five variables left - your playing, the settings you are using, the guitar, the connection or the GR300.

I would almost certainly exclude your playing as the issue - play some simple single note melodies paying attention to muting and hand movements - it should be at least usable.

Settings are very possibly part of the problem - make sure you are using it within normal parameters - the manual is available along with lots of helpful information on the Wayne Scott Joness site:

https://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-300.htm

If no joy then it is almost certainly a case of finding a capable tech in your area to diagnose this - after 40 years it is it is quite normal that some component(s) have expired and need replacing, grounds need checking, etc. and regular servicing is part of the deal with stuff of this vintage

Chrismiami

Thank you all! I will follow the instructions and report back. 👍

Elantric

Quote from: Chrismiami on September 22, 2023, 06:58:56 AMThank you all! I will follow the instructions and report back. 👍

Post a recording from a portable recorder or smartphone

Its likely your 40 year old GR-300 has remaining poor electrolytic capacitors , rendering more noise than a highly maintained example.

expelec

Is the problem better with compression off on the GR300?  If so, maybe need to reduce the volume via the trimmers in the G-303.  Maybe just too sensitive, it's always a balance between sustain and sensitivity.