Roland GI-20 Power Supply Question

Started by lanchamotora, December 11, 2023, 11:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanchamotora

First of all, let me say I have absolutely no idea about electricity, amps, volts, polarity, etc.
I bought a Roland GI-20 in Ebay from Japan last week, and I'm going to need a new power supply because I live in Spain and here we have 220V electricity system. The thing is the guy selling it sends it with a 1000mA 9V power supply

But I looked it up on the user manual and it says that the current draw is 450mA (in the page 44).

Does it matter at all? I've seen other sellers that sell the gi-20 with a 1000mA or 1200mA power supply. What power supplies do you have for yours?

Thank's in advance

gumtown

Specs from the Roland site on the GI-20
Power SupplyDC9V;
Supplied AC adaptor (ACI or ACB series)
Current Draw450 mA

Boss PSA 230 power supply will do 500mA which I think is a bit too small,
 so a Boss PSB 230 (2000mA) power supply will be more than sufficient.

You can use other brands, but some are very noisy in the audio, or could have the wrong polarity plug (and wreck your GI-20)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_psb230_eu_edirol.htm
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Id just use a Truetone Onespot 9VDC power supply. It has clean 1700mA
 power and enough supply current margin for the higher power on "Inrush" current

https://truetone.com/1-spot/

lanchamotora

Quote from: gumtown on December 11, 2023, 12:35:43 PMso a Boss PSB 230 (2000mA) power supply will be more than sufficient.

Then it doesn't matter that the PS has more mA than the machine?

Quote from: Elantric on December 11, 2023, 01:35:11 PMId just use a Truetone Onespot 9VDC power supply. It has clean power and enough supply current margin for the higher power on "Inrush" current

When you say supply current are you talking about the amperage? If not, what should I look for when looking at the description of these power supplies?

Also, I have this one laying around that I bought to run some pedals multiplugged. If the amperage doesn't matter as long as it is above what the roland gi-20 needs, this should work fine, shouldn't it? It's 9V 1700mA output and the polarity is the same

Again, sorry for my newbieness with all this electrical terms and thank you very much for your answers!

Elantric

They must get FCC/CE approval for the switching power supplies, so they provide a certified power supply with overcapacity of DC Current

Using a DC power supply with more current than required is fine .

But must use one with more current than the specified average DC Current demand , as there is a momentary Power On Inrush Current demand which is often double ( or more) . So a 9VDC@1000mA is suitable for GI-20, while a 9VDC@500mA would be barely adequate

Btw- that STAGG 9VDC@1700mA (1.7A)  is perfectly fine for GI-20

lanchamotora

That's nice. MASSIVE THANKS for taking the time to explain all this to me ;D  ;D  ;D