howdy

Started by supersoul, August 17, 2022, 05:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersoul

I don't own a guitar synth per se, but I often peruse this forum for information.

But I do know a lot about both guitars and synthesizers. With the guitar I don't really use effects, just my fingers. I like to hear someone playing the guitar, not effects. With synths I use almost everything, but especially modular analog and computer music with Supercollider.

It's just how to combine the two! So far I haven't found anything that works for me. Perhaps the closest is to use Supercollider to analyze the guitar signal and then derive control signal.

But I'm interested in the non-hex methods used in the Boss SY-300 and the various Electro Harmonix ___9 models. I'm also interested in using a standalone hex pickup.

I should also mention that I haven't actually used any of these. My knowledge is nil. So I'm here to learn, mainly. 

Thank you for accepting my registration!

chrish

Welcome to the forum. Have you seen this concept of eurorack modules that use the guitar string as an oscillator and offers individual string processing via a hex pickup mounted on the guitar.

https://www.synquanon.com/

supersoul

Quote from: chrish on August 17, 2022, 10:48:19 AMWelcome to the forum. Have you seen this concept of eurorack modules that use the guitar string as an oscillator and offers individual string processing via a hex pickup mounted on the guitar.

https://www.synquanon.com/

that looks really great!

this is a totally beginner's question, but a hex pickup just sends audio signals down the cable where it's then processed by whatever the synth is? So on a Roland guitar synth, the synth itself is still receiving audio from the string.

philjynx

Quote from: supersoul on August 17, 2022, 11:49:13 AMthat looks really great!

this is a totally beginner's question, but a hex pickup just sends audio signals down the cable where it's then processed by whatever the synth is? So on a Roland guitar synth, the synth itself is still receiving audio from the string.
Exactly so.  :)

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: supersoul on August 17, 2022, 11:49:13 AMthat looks really great!

More accurately the hex signals are split - they go through pitch detection to drive the synth part and they go into a guitar modeling section for alternate tunings and effects.  There's no ability for single-string processing in a guitar synth.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973