LGXT-- Piezo too loud!

Started by jallbery, July 25, 2022, 12:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jallbery

Hi...

I have a three-year-old Godin LGXT.   When using the blended output, the piezo volume is MUCH louder than magnetic pickups, so much so that they balance slider between magnetic and piezo is difficult to use, as the slightest nudge in either direction either makes it way too loud or practically silent.   I've contacted Godin, but the guitar is out of warranty, and they really did not provide any great insight, but did confirm that there were no internal trim pots to adjust the piezo output.

I'm happy with the tracking on my GR-55, but there are times I'd like to add the electric or acoustic voice, or some blend there of.

Has anyone else experienced this?   Is there any fix?

My Multiac Jazz SA does not have this issue.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

philjynx

Never been a fan of potentiometer sliders, they seem to wear out and/or get dust in them much sooner than rotary pots. 

Perhaps yours is suffering from one of the above. 

kenact

Quote from: jallbery on July 25, 2022, 12:31:46 PMHi...

I have a three-year-old Godin LGXT.   When using the blended output, the piezo volume is MUCH louder than magnetic pickups, so much so that they balance slider between magnetic and piezo is difficult to use, as the slightest nudge in either direction either makes it way too loud or practically silent.
Unless they changed the design, the LGXT doesn't have a balance slider. There is a magnetic volume control, and a piezo volume control.

If you turn the magnetic pickup all the way down, does the piezo slider still jump?
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

chrish

Quote from: philjynx on July 25, 2022, 01:28:24 PMNever been a fan of potentiometer sliders, they seem to wear out and/or get dust in them much sooner than rotary pots.

Perhaps yours is suffering from one of the above.
wonder if that is climate dependant? My Godin sliders and RMC piezo pickups are still working fine after 20 years or so. I live in a dry climate with 300 days of sun per year.

JeffTronics

Not dismissing your experience, but i have i have 5 godins and the piezo's have always had more output then the mags.They are active, after all

gearhound22

I remember there being pots on the godins internally but I think that was for EQ...maybe a balance?

I'd hit that slider with some plastic safe contact cleaner and see if it clears it up

jallbery

Thanks, everyone.

I'll try some contact cleaner, and it is helpful to know that some volume discrepancy is normal.

Quote from: kenact on July 25, 2022, 02:57:18 PMUnless they changed the design, the LGXT doesn't have a balance slider. There is a magnetic volume control, and a piezo volume control.

If you turn the magnetic pickup all the way down, does the piezo slider still jump?

Ah...   On the Multiac Jazz SA (or at least the older ones), if you run with the single cable (blended) output, the slider becomes a blend control and the volume knob becomes a master volume.   I guess I just assumed it would be that way on the LGXT.  Perhaps I just had the volume down on the mag pickups.  I'll check things again.