Axe fx and roland gr 55

Started by Jamesjc1982, July 05, 2022, 05:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamesjc1982

I need help, I have a roland gr 55 and the axe fx 2 xl+. I want to use them together. I've been on forums and read the manual and I'm still confused.  How do I hook then up together and program them to run together?  Please somebody tell me exactly what to do...

plexified

It depends on how you want to use the package. You have MIDI controls for MIDI Mapping the work on both units. You have to really think about what you WANT to do and report back. Hooking them up ' together ' is not a problem.

Most people DO NOT DO THIS. They complain on forums how things do not work. When in the end its the user displaying how far they are uninformed.

You came to the right place. For example, you can use your GR-55 to control the AXE. At the same time you can use the AXE to control the GR-55.

Naturally using them together is optimal.

A few ' concepts '. . .

AXE as just a MIDI controller . . .

GR-55 as just a MIDI controller . . .

?

It means you have a killer patch you created in one or the other and the unit instead of being ' not a part of the program ' you use it as a MIDI controller. Dead sounds, however, potent COMMANDS ! via MIDI.

To wrap your head around this. Lets take a BOSS GT-1000, you hook it up to a AXE FX II. The BOSS does ZERO Tone Work, its a MIDI CONTROL BOARD. . . Get the wheels turning here. . .

It now replaces the AXE controllers. Sends all commands, is silent, is never ' heard ' as a sound generator, just a MIDI board.

So instead of you using a MFC-101 Mark I, You use a BOSS GT-1000, EXP controller and all, (Silent, just a controller) , although you could use it as a back up rig etc. etc.

I think you get the idea. . .

Press one button on the AXE and change 16 parameters at the same time. Or press one button on the GR-55 and employ it to change 16 parameters on both units. Let the mind wander. . .

Report back .

This is the kind of Question that changes a hundred minds overnight, great job for diving in and asking away !

plexified

Your going to send CC# to targets 'to do things' and have targets respond to ' CC# on each patch, scene or whatever. You can even expand the concept and have controllers like an Arturo with pads and knobs and use your hands. Your limits are your minds limits.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=arturia+beat+step&t=brave&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Hand, foot, remote,  MIDI does it all.

Table top hand controls and Foot controls LIVE rule in my opinion. Get them both working per patch and its game on ultimate fun.

gearhound22

Pretty easy setup, I'd use the Axe-fx as a mixer for the GR55.
Don't use any effects on the Roland the Axe should be superior.

You could also use the GR55 as a floorcontroller for the axe-fx and dodgy the chitty bankup/down with the S selector switches. Nice big LCD display, I'd label the first 3 patches all the same per bank but abbreviate what the patch is (CL/CR/LD for clean crunch lead for eg) So 1 would be be clean, 2 crunch , 3 lead etc. No scribbles required!

Jim Williams

I use my guitar synth with my Axe Fx III and I guess it would be similar. Plug your guitar into the 13 pin GX input of the GR-55, plug a cable from the guitar out to the input 1 of the Axe fx and then plug the left and right output of the GR to the stereo input 2 of the Axe Fx. from there set your patches for in 1 and 2 to go to out 1 and set effects chains up for both and add a mixer block to control both. Add a midi block to change patches on the GR.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

gearhound22

Quote from: Jim Williams on July 06, 2022, 02:24:09 PMI use my guitar synth with my Axe Fx III and I guess it would be similar. Plug your guitar into the 13 pin GX input of the GR-55, plug a cable from the guitar out to the input 1 of the Axe fx and then plug the left and right output of the GR to the stereo input 2 of the Axe Fx. from there set your patches for in 1 and 2 to go to out 1 and set effects chains up for both and add a mixer block to control both. Add a midi block to change patches on the GR.

Probably better to run the guitar direct to the axe-fx I believe the GR55 kills the tone a little.

Jim Williams

Quote from: gearhound22 on July 06, 2022, 06:35:55 PMProbably better to run the guitar direct to the axe-fx I believe the GR55 kills the tone a little.

No not true... the input is a little noisy, but the Axe Fx noise gate takes care of that. The modeled guitars come through kind of weak, but you can use an EQ block to compensate.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.