HRM Modeling Instruments Question

Started by Kebbel, June 10, 2022, 05:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kebbel

If this question was answered in the manual, my apologies, I missed it.

I've used some HRM presets, but I've never tried tweaking any of them. I collected all the HRM patches from presets A through E (Articulated, Bowed, Complex, Crystal, Drawbar, Dual, Filter Bass, Pipe, Resonator, Solo, Synthetic) and stored them in a vgp file with the intention of playing around with them. I had assumed that HRM was a category and that you selected an instrument from a list just like you choose a VGM guitar from the list of pickups. That seems to be a wrong conclusion: I can't find anywhere that you can change a Bowed patch into a Pipe patch, a Drawbar patch into a Solo patch, etc. Could someone confirm this is correct, that you can only change a Pipe patch into other Pipe patches, or a Drawbar patch into another Drawbar patch, etc.?

aliensporebomb

VG-8 owners?

I know that if you were using the VG-99 you could do this. 

Basically there's electric and acoustic guitar, bass, and synth instrument types and all of the synth subtypes you could easily change (with possibly interesting results) for example bowed to pipe or crystal to wave). 

There's a 99 patch called Paragliding that sounds to me like a classic HRM type sound from the VG-8 but it's created using the bowed synth subtype.

I thought "Harmonic Restructure Modeling" was a technology used to produce a sound, not an instrument type but I could be wrong - I lusted after the VG-8 like mad when it first came out, I just never could swing the heavy price for that device at the time.   Took years before a VG fell into my lap.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtown

I don't have a VG-8, but typically you should be able to load in any patch,
 and change the instrument/synth type,
 and save that patch in to a VG-8 User patch location. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Kebbel

First, thanks to those who've already responded.

I own three VG-8's (home, church, bandmate's house) and one VG-99. I fell in love with the VG-99 and ignored the VG-8 for a while, but am back full tilt boogie on the VG-8. (1) Adding or replacing a VG-99 is +$500; adding or replacing a VG-8 is -$200. (2) The VG-99 is way too complicated if you don't even understand the VG-8. I'm going to spend the rest of my summer boarded up with my VG-8's.

The VG-99 is a way different animal than the VG-8, and I know you can pack just about any guitar or synth type into a VG-99 patch with the VG-99 editor, but if it's possible to do that on a VG-8, I sure haven't found it. If anyone has done this or knows it can't be done, please let me hear from you.

chrish

Have all your vg8s been upgraded to the s1?One or two of the HRM based synth type models were addeded with that upgrade.

Let me take a look at mine to see if I can answer your question. You are asking how to change bowed patch to a solo patch, correct?

chrish

After looking at the manual and the instrument I believe there is no way to edit the actual instrument within a patch.

If you want to create another  HRM instrument patch like "vio guitar" for example, you're going to have to copy a patch that contains vio guitar  as an instrument to another patch slot that you don't want to use. Then edit that new vio guitar patch in the new patch location.

So its not like the VG99 or SY1000 where instruments can be selected within the patch itself.

Kebbel

Thank you, Chrish, that's what I thought was happening with HRM in the VG-8. I downloaded a bunch of patch sets from here, and I should have PLENTY to work with in addition to the presets.

chrish

I wonder if the early VG8 adopters at VG8.com had a list of things they would like to see improved in the next hex processer like being able to change the instrument within the patch.

Did the VG88 have that function?

Silas Lang

As an owner of a VG-8 I can confirm that chrish is right.

Quote from: chrish on June 11, 2022, 02:37:22 PMAfter looking at the manual and the instrument I believe there is no way to edit the actual instrument within a patch.

If you want to create another  HRM instrument patch like "vio guitar" for example, you're going to have to copy a patch that contains vio guitar  as an instrument to another patch slot that you don't want to use. Then edit that new vio guitar patch in the new patch location.

So its not like the VG99 or SY1000 where instruments can be selected within the patch itself.